User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #12781
a68dart360
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Dr350s

Hello all. I am new to the Dual Sport thing. I have had a couple of street bikes before but a buddy of me decided that we should get the dual sport bikes and do some trail riding where I live which I am fine with that. I don't want to go out and get hurt riding motorcross in the desert crazy . I just want to ride and enjoy the scenery. Here is a picture of the bike I just got. It is a 1991 DR350S with 5,400 miles. Thought is was a deal at $800.00 but it needed work. When were started working on it to get it started it only needed fuel petcock cleaned and re o-ringed and it started right up. I got lucky with the purchase.
Now I am looking for any rear cargo racks. Does anyone know of a top and side rack system available. I seen one that had a top rack that held both a small water and fuel container and had two side racks for bags. What have people put on their bikes. let me know. Thanks Eddie

a68dart360 screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 09:35 PM
a68dart360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #12782
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Valve Adjustment

Can somone confirm the valve gaps for a 1999 DR-350SE?

Thanks,
Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #12783
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by a68dart360 View Post
Hello all. I am new to the Dual Sport thing. I have had a couple of street bikes before but a buddy of me decided that we should get the dual sport bikes and do some trail riding where I live which I am fine with that. I don't want to go out and get hurt riding motorcross in the desert crazy . I just want to ride and enjoy the scenery. Here is a picture of the bike I just got. It is a 1991 DR350S with 5,400 miles. Thought is was a deal at $800.00 but it needed work. When were started working on it to get it started it only needed fuel petcock cleaned and re o-ringed and it started right up. I got lucky with the purchase.
Now I am looking for any rear cargo racks. Does anyone know of a top and side rack system available. I seen one that had a top rack that held both a small water and fuel container and had two side racks for bags. What have people put on their bikes. let me know. Thanks Eddie
Incredibly clean looking 91 - You did well for $800. It should also fit your needs extremely well.

Several companies make racks. A good read through this thread will find you some information as will an internet search for "DR 350 luggage" or similar.

I have an aluminum pro-moto billet rack (that is no longer available - but You might track one down somewhere) but it does not have frames for panniers. There are several types of packs available that will fit without frames though.

If you plan on riding for more than 30 minutes at a time you will probably want to upgrade the seat. I have been very satisfied with a Seat Concepts seat kit.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #12784
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Stop riding so HARD!

Might you be bumping or pulling on the reservoiur. It is in the stock loaction
LOL!

Yes, it is in the stock location. I suppose I could be bumping it, but it is really tucked in there and out of the way. I broke the original one a year or so ago and now I just noticed the replacement (from a 1990 parts bike I parted out) is broken, too. I am thinking the breakage is due to all the rocky stuff I ride around here. I love the rocky stuff, but it does take a toll on the machine (especially at faster speeds - though I am no racer by any stretch).

While I am generally not a fan of re-engineering something (I think the original factory engineers did a very good job on most things), I think I may try to rubber mount the shock reservoir this time (as GaThumper mentioned). I'm thinking something similar to the way the dirt model fuel tank is bolted to the frame at the front: rubber grommets provide a cushion/steel spacer permits solid mounting. Of course, this means I'll have to enlarge the mounting holes in the bracket (creating a potential weak spot there). We'll see if there is enough meat there to begin with.

Honestly, I am really amazed at how big of a beating the DR can take without breaking anything at all. This little bracket is really the only thing I can point to that has given me any sort of repeat breakage issue at all (not due to crashes, etc).

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #12785
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR View Post

Thanks,
Canadian FJR
The valve gaps are listed in the factory workshop manual:

Intake: 0.05 - 0.10mm (0.002 - 0.004 inches)

Exhaust: 0.17 - 0.22mm (0.007 - 0.009 inches)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #12786
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Eddie,

For a rear rack, here is a review I did of one:
http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/d...ck_by_manracks

But, since you have the S model, then you could fit one of Brian's racks were he modifies the original steel loop behind the seat. I don't see his ad on eBay just now, so he may be taking a break, I dunno??? (he only modifies the steel loop as on S models - not the aluminum loop on dirt models).

Personally, I am a big fan of soft luggage and I think it works very well for dual sport stuff. The rougher you treat it, the better it performs (in contrast to hard luggage). For this reason, I run Dirt Bike Gear bags for all of the stuff I take with me on any given weekend ride. I cannot say enough good things about the Dirt Bike Gear bags. I have put them through the ringer and they hold up exceedingly well. The prices are very fair and I think you get a lot more for your money than with the cheaper stuff sold by other companies. The owner, Dan Schuster, stands behind his product and will warranty it for stuff you wouldn't dream of asking a warranty for (like when I crashed right on my front number plate and tore one strap out of the number plate bag).

For longer trips, I fit my original Giant Loop bag (about the size of the Coyote one available today). I've used the Giant Loop bag on two longish 7 - 9 day trips and I really like it. It performs extremely well.

For water, it is not possible to pack enough water when riding in remote regions of the desert. Anyone who has ridden out here in the Summer knows that you bring all you can, refill when you can, and hope you don't get stuck out there for very long if bad stuff does happen. For this reason, I use a Camelbak Mule. No, I don't particularly care for wearing a backpack full of water, but I've gotten used to it and it is the best way I know of to carry water while riding in the dirt.

As for fuel, I fit a larger tank made by Clarke and it has been working very well. There are other tanks made by IMS and Acerbis. All are good choices.

If all you are going to be doing is riding around at slow speeds on good quality dirt roads, then packing fuel and water on a rack will work just fine. But if the road starts to get washboarded or bumpy and/or your idea of "crazy" changes a bit, I think you'll find that strapping weight on the back of the DR is not going to work out extremely well. Sure, it can be done well (http://www.rotopax.com/), but having a dedicated tank is so much nicer.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #12787
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundrules View Post
Hi gang,
I've posted a few times recently about sorting out a DR350S (1991, kick) that I'm reviving. In the process of sorting the carb and doing the airbox mod, I noticed that the previous owner had plugged the port on the rubber carb intake boot (between the airbox and the carb). In looking at the parts fiche, is appears this was originally piped to the crankcase breather system. I can't figure out how exactly. My current crankcase breather hose is just kind of a straight shot up from the case and the hose loops around a bracket behind the rear brake reservoir. It terminates in what looks like a one-way valve of some sort. So my questions:

1. is it okay to leave the port on the carb boot plugged and separate from the breather system?
2. is the current breather set-up sufficient sufficient? I'm wondering if breathing is improved by the airflow through the boot, or if it's just an emissions thing, to scrub fumes and re-burn them.

Picture of the carb boot, port in question is right in the center:
Hi groundrules,

The breather arrangement changed over the years with the DR350 (and between the dirt and street models). With your 1991 DR350S model, I believe the arrangement was very simple: a single hose directly from the engine crankcase to the inlet port shown in your airbox picture. There were never any small hoses connecting the airbox to the carburetor. You can see a pretty good photo of the arrangement on the air filter page of the spare parts catalog.

I know that that breather arrangement on my 1993 DR350 (dirt model) works very well and I have no complaints with it. I'd like to think that your original factory arrangement would work very well, too, but I have no direct experience with it. I would certainly start with the stock configuration and then change only if needed. I have not heard of "breather modifications" being any sort of typical change to the DR350, so I would be hesitant to think it was anything other than someone either solving a problem that didn't exist OR covering up a symptom from some other component failure (think excessive blow-by due to a stuck ring, etc).

Perhaps someone else with an earlier S model may chime in with some more info. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #12788
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
Mr Bender, thanks for your replies and expertise.
groundrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #12789
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Not very many side rack only options. I hard the turbo city Borrego (sp?) rack. It was a big high quality unit. Am planning on getting on of the side rack versions. The sides are built in to the top rack. There are two size (the sequioa abnd the denali) for the side rack. They are both built off the same top rack. I have heard the the smaller ones takes a beating better as the sides are cantilevered for the top.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #12790
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Not very many side rack only options. I hard the turbo city Borrego (sp?) rack. It was a big high quality unit. Am planning on getting on of the side rack versions. The sides are built in to the top rack. There are two size (the sequioa abnd the denali) for the side rack. They are both built off the same top rack. I have heard the the smaller ones takes a beating better as the sides are cantilevered for the top.
I've had the TCI Denali rear rack on mine for over 10k miles. They're a lot tougher than they look - I've beat the heck out of mine year-round here in Maine and it has held up just fine to everything - even the endo I did earlier this spring. Same for the Wolfman bags. I'd highly recommend them both.

I don't really have any close-up shots, but here's a couple pics.

A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #12791
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I've had the TCI Denali rear rack on mine for over 10k miles. They're a lot tougher than they look - I've beat the heck out of mine year-round here in Maine and it has held up just fine to everything - even the endo I did earlier this spring. Same for the Wolfman bags. I'd highly recommend them both.

I don't really have any close-up shots, but here's a couple pics.
who makes the windshield you got kobukan?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #12792
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Racks vs. no racks

Here are just my opinions on the rack vs. no rack question.

1st possibility - DIY My set up: Not recommended: I have the Manrack and some side standoffs that I built myself. I also built a board to go on the rack which slips off and becomes a small table for bush camping. I put a semi-water proof bag on the rack and two throw over bags I bought used off craigslist. I probably have $230 into the whole system. This was made possible because I have a commercial sewing machine to customize the bags and straps and a friend with a welder.

Good: fun project, table is kind of cool
Bad: Not that cheap in the long run, Hassle to use, cumbersome, very slow to pack up, bounces too much, way too many straps to tighten and loosen every time you want access to something. Side racks bend when bike is dropped, not water or dust proof. etc....i rode with guys with the giant loop system and they were packed and ready to go in 1/3 the time it took me.

2nd possibility: Borrego rack and Wolfman saddlebags and tail bag. Rack $269.95, Wolfman Saddlebags $219.99, Wolfman Expedition dry duffle $114.99 for a total of $604.93. Plus rotopacks

Good: Nice looking set up. 78 ltrs of storage maxed out. Three separate bags so may be easier to find stuff. Made by great people
Bad: Rack and side racks are always on the bike. Very wide load which will catch brush. More bouncing that giant loop system. Pretty expensive. Lots of straps to do and undo when using so not quick to take off and take into motel room. Racks may bend in a lay down or crash.

3rd possibility: Giant Loop system, and Sweet Cheeks. Coyote is 30+ ltrs and costs $312.97 at Atomicmoto, or Great Basin is 50+ltrs and $415.97. SweetCheeks for extra fuel or water, plus you'll solve the miserable seat problem in one fell swoop. Costs about $25

Good: No racks required. Very lightweight system. Compress down to whatever you pack in them. Includes stuff sacks. Mounts very close the the bike with just a few straps. Very quick to unstrap, and throw over shoulder to carry into motel room. Made by great people. Very waterproof. Very tough in a crash. Easy to add an additional dry bag for more storage. Superfast to pack as access is very good.
Bad: no rack for short around town hops. Not quite as much storage without additional dry bag.
I'm sure there are other positives and negatives to each system.

If I had it to do over again, I'd go with the giant loop Coyote in a heart beat. I could even easily be talked into selling my entire system so I could purchase a Coyote.

Just thought I'd put in my thoughts. YMMV.

BTW, here's my set up before adding Sweet Cheeks:

This one shows the table:

MadChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #12793
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
who makes the windshield you got kobukan?
It's a Slip Stream S06 Spitfire Windshield - pretty common and can be found for around $75, maybe less. Some people like them, some don't. It works for me and can be removed or reinstalled in under a minute, which I really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Borrego rack and Wolfman saddlebags and tail bag . . .

. . . Rack and side racks are always on the bike. Very wide load which will catch brush. More bouncing that giant loop system. Pretty expensive. Lots of straps to do and undo when using so not quick to take off and take into motel room. Racks may bend in a lay down or crash.
- Not a good option if you don't always want the racks on your bike.
- They aren't really that wide, in fact with bags removed they aren't wide at all, but I always carry bags.
- There is no bouncing.
- They are expensive.
- There seems be a common misconception among many people regarding all the straps. They keep the load tight, but they rarely need to be adjusted once set up, and the bags are made to come off the bike very quickly - under a minute, probably more like thirty seconds, and they go back on just as quickly.
- Racks may bend in a crash, but they are extremely durable.
YMMV
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #12794
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR View Post
Make sure you loosen the decomp cable first
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #12795
a68dart360
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks all for the info to everyone. I will really have a lot of info to check into but those items that you suggest are what I am looking for. Will have to post pics when I get it all together. Thanks again. Eddie
a68dart360 is offline   Reply With Quote