Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #12826
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilprincipe View Post
It seems most people on this forum opt for a TM33 when updating to a pumper carb (I believe this is the one kientech sells?). Here in Germany most people seem to install the TM36, and my impression is that they are more widely available (also the dirt model wasn't sold that often here). I'm not really in a hurry to spend money on either, but since I saw a new TM36 for sale rather cheap, are there any advantages/disadvantages of choosing one over the other?
I have a TM33 pumper. I have no experience with the TM36, but if I'm not mistaken it comes in two versions; both are flat slide carbs, but only one is a pumper (has the accelerator pump). The pumper models are more expensive. Either one may be an improvement, but considering the "rather cheap" price I'd suggest confirming that it's the pumper model if that's what you're looking for.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #12827
ilprincipe
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobukan View Post
I have a TM33 pumper. I have no experience with the TM36, but if I'm not mistaken it comes in two versions; both are flat slide carbs, but only one is a pumper (has the accelerator pump). The pumper models are more expensive. Either one may be an improvement, but considering the "rather cheap" price I'd suggest confirming that it's the pumper model if that's what you're looking for.
I didn't know there were different version, but it has the accelerator pump.
ilprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #12828
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
I think the main advantage is that the 33 is ready for install. As it is more or less a direct fit. This is of course not totally true when fitting a pumper to a S bike, but enough people have done it and enough adaptor parts are out there.

Also the size. I thought the 36 was for a much bigger bike. Thus you need to size (jetting) everything down to make it work on our 350s
Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #12829
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
Welcome to the DR350 world. I ride the same year as you.

Tools: You'll need a couple tire spoons and I found this item makes tire changes much easier on the knuckles:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/-/256/726/-/18288/Tusk-Valve-Stem-Puller

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFg44gjjDLA
Here's one of my more useful tools. Just a 15mm axle welded to a piece of 2" square tubing.

Makes changing tires much easier.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #12830
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Made a few of changes to the DR. Hand guards, mirrors, turn signals, rack, carb screw.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #12831
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
ANOTHER question for yinz guru's out there, Does a more powerful charging system exist for the DR350? I was contemplating on making this bike my "Cold weather" bike as well, and i was kickin around the idea of some additional power sources for possible heating devices? For example, heated grips? or maybe a heated coat? Was curious if one existed so that a coat, per say, could be plugged in without CONSTANTLY draining the battery and straining the alternator system.
any help here guys?

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #12832
MadChap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
any help here guys?

He doesn't list one on his website, but you might call ricky stator and see if he can rewind one with a higher output.

For just hot grips and a heated jacket, you maybe able to change your blinker bulbs to LEDS and have enough to power those two items.

Edit: Found this HO Stator rebuilder here on ADV:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763724
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #12833
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChap View Post
He doesn't list one on his website, but you might call ricky stator and see if he can rewind one with a higher output.

For just hot grips and a heated jacket, you maybe able to change your blinker bulbs to LEDS and have enough to power those two items.

Edit: Found this HO Stator rebuilder here on ADV:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763724
Thanks!! i contacted him via the thread you gave me!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #12834
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,778
Quote:
Quote:
ANOTHER question for yinz guru's out there, Does a more powerful charging system exist for the DR350? I was contemplating on making this bike my "Cold weather" bike as well, and i was kickin around the idea of some additional power sources for possible heating devices? For example, heated grips? or maybe a heated coat? Was curious if one existed so that a coat, per say, could be plugged in without CONSTANTLY draining the battery and straining the alternator system.
any help here guys?
I have made fairly extensive use of a heated jacket on my DR350 and never had a charging problem as a result. Consider a change to 35W (HID?) headlamp and LED tail-light which will free up a few extra watts. Possibly enough for heated grips as well.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #12835
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
any help here guys?
Did a google search "dr350 stator", found this. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...30695&page=477
There have been several posts here by guys with dirt models that have rewired and added e start stators to there dirt models, and run heated grips, vests etc. Looks like it's doable.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #12836
DualDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Blue Frame Paint

Does anybody out there know of a premade paint that would match the early 90's blue paint on the DR350's. I would like to do some touch up on my 1993 model. Hopefully trying to find a spray paint that matches.

Or if anybody knows the manufacturer number on this it would help also. I have a local auto store that can mix paint and put it in a spray can.
DualDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #12837
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome guys, thanks much for info. SO, finding an E-start style stator, switching bulbs to LED's, and headlight to HID will free up enough to run a set of pants an coat? that oughta work good. i bought a really nice set of leather riding gloves for cold weather, then ill get some plastic guards for my bark busters and that oughta keep enough air of my little digits to keep em warm and moveable. lol ill work on digging up LED's for all my stuff. Thanks a bunch guys!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #12838
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Awesome guys, thanks much for info. SO, finding an E-start style stator, switching bulbs to LED's, and headlight to HID will free up enough to run a set of pants an coat? that oughta work good. i bought a really nice set of leather riding gloves for cold weather, then ill get some plastic guards for my bark busters and that oughta keep enough air of my little digits to keep em warm and moveable. lol ill work on digging up LED's for all my stuff. Thanks a bunch guys!
Here's some more, third post down by Laser145 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...tator&page=723
Just search "stator" in - search this thread - at the top of this page.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #12839
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
I think it's unlikely that you'll have enough power to run pants and coat. A voltmeter would be a very good investment to ensure that you're not draining the battery when you're running the heated gear.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #12840
canyonkid
Does it Matter

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualDog View Post
Does anybody out there know of a premade paint that would match the early 90's blue paint on the DR350's. I would like to do some touch up on my 1993 model. Hopefully trying to find a spray paint that matches.

Or if anybody knows the manufacturer number on this it would help also. I have a local auto store that can mix paint and put it in a spray can.
rust-oleum painters touch ultra cover gloss deep blue. perfect match on my 90.
canyonkid is offline   Reply With Quote