Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #12856
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTim View Post
The bike is a DR350SE-X. It would not start. The battery is good. All the lights come on but when I hit the 'magic' button nothing happens only an audible click from the Solenoid. The Starter does not crank.
I have eliminated kill/key switch, kickstand, clutch, nuetral etc. I have shorted/bypassed the Starter relay/solenoid.
I have applied direct +ve current to the starter. No result. Starter will not crank. Is my starter motor toast?
However it will bump start.
Any advice/ideas/suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks.

OK, so you've got voltage to the starter motor - and battery voltage does not drop when you hit the magic button. You've actually jumped directly to the starter motor w/o any current draw?

It is either a broken connection inside the starter motor, or the brushes are worn down to the screws. Here's something to try: a trick I learned working as an auto mechanic. Take something moderately heavy and tap on the starter motor casing as you hit the magic button. With cars of the '70's, we would rescue at least one a month this way. We'd get a "no start" call, the boss and I would hop in his truck with a few things and usually make $20 for sliding under the car and tapping the starter case. After the starter would spin - it would usually work for a while, but was just as likely to hit the "bad" spot and not want to spin again. I once kept from working on a starter for nearly a year by tapping as req'd. New brushes fixed it. I would use either a small ball peen hammer or use a 1/2" round brass bar like a pool cue.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #12857
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I'm looking at buying a '99 DR350SE that seems in really good shape; what are the things to look for to make sure? It's several hours away and I'll only get one shot at it. I'm not going to tear into the engine, but I expect to run and ride it and be able to go over it pretty thoroughly.

It has an Acerbis tank on it and there's a pretty nice looking aluminum rack on it; otherwise, I think it's pretty stock. Price seems reasonable ($1500) considering what I've seen on CL and that he's throwing in some tires and extra bits.

Regarding this thread, thanks to all who post here - especially Greg Bender. It's great to have this resource for care-and-feeding issues. It would be really good if someone thread-savvy were to put together an index post of some kind, since it's pushing 900 posts at this point and I'm beginning to suspect that there's some repetition in there, but I'm too new to be That Person.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #12858
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spad View Post
Regarding this thread, thanks to all who post here - especially Greg Bender. It's great to have this resource for care-and-feeding issues. It would be really good if someone thread-savvy were to put together an index post of some kind, since it's pushing 900 posts at this point and I'm beginning to suspect that there's some repetition in there, but I'm too new to be That Person.
Hi Spad,

Thanks for the compliment, but I'll down-play it by saying that I am certainly NOT the most knowledgeable person posting in this thread. I've only been riding dirt bikes for 3 years. There are tons of guys who post who've been riding dirt (and wrenching on DR's) for a lot longer that I.

As for what to watch for, I would just make sure it makes all the right noises...particularly that you don't hear any bad sounds from the cylinder head which would indicate oil starvation at one time or another. Oh, and make sure all the yummy goodies from the 99 model are there (front forks, etc).

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #12859
Spad
Adventurer

Maybe so but you post and share a lot, here and on your site, and nobody calls BS on ya!

For the forks, it's one of the reasons I'm glad to have found the '99. How do you tell for sure (though I'm not too suspicious with this particular bike)? Right now I'm looking for rubber caps on the bottom of the forks for compression adjustment. Unless there's usually a big label on the legs that say "est. 1999"...

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #12860
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Early forks:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...DR350X2-01.jpg

Later forks (this is what should be on a 1999 model - at least as sold in the USA - just forget that this is not a DR350 - the forks should visibly look like this):
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...DR350X6-01.jpg
Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #12861
canyonkid
Does it Matter

Oddometer: 23
[QUOTE=Greg Bender;19403507]Early forks:

Is this photo backwards or can you actualy put the left fork leg on the right side?
canyonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #12862
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=canyonkid;19403917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Early forks:

Is this photo backwards or can you actualy put the left fork leg on the right side?
Yep, backwards! I saw that too...simple photo flip by motorcycle news :> :> :>
Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #12863
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
. . . For the forks, it's one of the reasons I'm glad to have found the '99. How do you tell for sure (though I'm not too suspicious with this particular bike)? Right now I'm looking for rubber caps on the bottom of the forks for compression adjustment. Unless there's usually a big label on the legs that say "est. 1999"...
Here's some '99 forks for you . . .

Bottom of each fork should have an adjustment screw - same as the top

Forks are marked for which way to adjust the screw
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #12864
Spad
Adventurer

The forks on the bike I'm looking at look like the ones in the pictures (the right-way-round pictures) as near as I can tell. Is rebound damping in the left fork and compression in the right? None of the other bikes I've ridden have them fancy adjustments, so I'm not familiar. I'll turn the bike over to check, all the same.

Kobukan, how do you like those Wolfman side bags? I'll likely get some kind of small soft luggage for this eventually, to keep things light. I've looked at those, at the Giant Loop bags and at the bags made by the guy who sewed tie-down loops and a closure into an old pair of coveralls to make his own loop bags (patent no doubt pending, pix elsewhere on ADV - Thread of Awesome, maybe). Twisted Throttle also sells some nice dry bags that could work on the DR as well as the Wee.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Old 08-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #12865
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
The forks on the bike I'm looking at look like the ones in the pictures (the right-way-round pictures) as near as I can tell. Is rebound damping in the left fork and compression in the right? None of the other bikes I've ridden have them fancy adjustments, so I'm not familiar. I'll turn the bike over to check, all the same.

Kobukan, how do you like those Wolfman side bags? I'll likely get some kind of small soft luggage for this eventually, to keep things light. I've looked at those, at the Giant Loop bags and at the bags made by the guy who sewed tie-down loops and a closure into an old pair of coveralls to make his own loop bags (patent no doubt pending, pix elsewhere on ADV - Thread of Awesome, maybe). Twisted Throttle also sells some nice dry bags that could work on the DR as well as the Wee.

- Spad
Each fork has compression & rebound damping adjustment. Bottom screw adjusts compression damping, top screw adjusts rebound damping. Set them at the factory setting, try them, play with the adjustment to see if it feels better to you on a different setting. Both forks should always be on the same setting. Not really all that complicated.

There is a whole long thread on the Wolfman bags here. Like anything else, some people love them, some people prefer something else. Mine have many miles on them and I love them. Very durable, completely waterproof, easily adjustable, hold a lot of stuff, fit snug to the rack and can be removed / remounted very quickly.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #12866
TinyTim
Noob

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
OK, so you've got voltage to the starter motor - and battery voltage does not drop when you hit the magic button. You've actually jumped directly to the starter motor w/o any current draw?

It is either a broken connection inside the starter motor, or the brushes are worn down to the screws. Here's something to try: a trick I learned working as an auto mechanic. Take something moderately heavy and tap on the starter motor casing as you hit the magic button. With cars of the '70's, we would rescue at least one a month this way. We'd get a "no start" call, the boss and I would hop in his truck with a few things and usually make $20 for sliding under the car and tapping the starter case. After the starter would spin - it would usually work for a while, but was just as likely to hit the "bad" spot and not want to spin again. I once kept from working on a starter for nearly a year by tapping as req'd. New brushes fixed it. I would use either a small ball peen hammer or use a 1/2" round brass bar like a pool cue.
Thanks Guys. I will try that as soon as I have some free time and report back. Hope it works as that it will buy me some time to look for a used starter.Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #12867
rubberband
Will ride for tacos

Oddometer: 384
we've all been there.....
Old 08-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #12868
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
Pretty sure I haven't... Sure looks like fun though!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #12869
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
Yep (or some place very similar!!!) :> I'm glad the camera came out to document the occurrence. With the guys I ride with, there had better be photographic evidence or else it never really happened. We get quite good a getting the camera out immediately when something of interest happens :>

BTW, my purchase of the ~250 pound DR350 was for exactly these happenings (and a number of other reasons). Dealing with the same event on a 550 - 600 pound "dirt" bike is an entirely different level of "fun".

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Old 08-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #12870
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,360

Yup.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote