Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #13156
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
it appears to be 16 front and 46 is stamped on the rear the front its hard to count em with the guard in the way does that sound about right? it would also bog down to about 42-45 under WOT uphills i drove it about 30 miles home like that just pinned :(
THERES YOUR PROBLEM!
Or might be. 16 shouldnt even fit without mods. But it just doesnt have enough power for that gearing. Get 14 or 15 in the front and it might go 70
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #13157
kaukasion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
Do you get higher RPMs on other gears? Clutch shouldnt cause rpm dropping imo. It will rev, but the power doesnt go to the rear wheel. If it revs higher than that on other gears then I guess it needs a new piston. Old one might be too worn, causing low compression. Also check the valve clearances if you havent yet. They go out of spec pretty fast and can cause anything

And dont go ordering pistons before someone else answers, im not the most experienced...
it seems it wont reach the higher rpms that it will in other gears like it is just lacking the umph to wrap out the final gear in the top end of the rpm range

im wondering if maybe a pinched the diaphragm for the slide while putting it back together or if the main jet was bigger then stock and i replaced with a stock one but hell even bone stock one should be able to do its rated power right?
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #13158
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,696
With regardes to the cam chain tensioner. I think the most common way people measure the streach is by counting the number of clicks the tensioner is out. I have not done this but have had it discribed to me. Pull out the tensioner and count the number of clicks left. Push in the tnesioner and count the total number of clicks. Halfway is ok. But if you to the last 1/4 of the stroke, you should consider a new chain.

Friends DR was a noisy bitch. Seemed like is was cam chain of valve noise. Both were inspected, there was about half life left on the tensioner. 20K later the bike is still a noisey bitch that he ride the shit out of.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #13159
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Yeah the stock should go at least 70.
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #13160
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
it appears to be 16 front and 46 is stamped on the rear the front its hard to count em with the guard in the way does that sound about right? it would also bog down to about 42-45 under WOT uphills i drove it about 30 miles home like that just pinned :(
I weigh about the same as you (~220). My 1993 DR350 (dirt model) with 15/41 sprockets will pull 70 MPH. Going up hill or at higher elevations, though, it struggles and I loose MPH.

16/46 is a little lower than 15/41 (between 14/41 and 15/41, actually). I'd think you should be able to pull 70 with 16/46; revved fairly high, but pull it. I know I can pull 70 with 14/41. I don't like to because it revs higher than I like, but I can pull it.

I assumed you cleaned and oiled the air filter element, yes?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #13161
kaukasion
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
I weigh about the same as you (~220). My 1993 DR350 (dirt model) with 15/41 sprockets will pull 70 MPH. Going up hill or at higher elevations, though, it struggles and I loose MPH.

16/46 is a little lower than 15/41 (between 14/41 and 15/41, actually). I'd think you should be able to pull 70 with 16/46; revved fairly high, but pull it. I know I can pull 70 with 14/41. I don't like to because it revs higher than I like, but I can pull it.

I assumed you cleaned and oiled the air filter element, yes?

Regards,

Gregory Bender
i pulled and inspected it but it seemed ok to me wasnt very dirty
do you think that would make such a huge difference in power?
if so could i test this theory by simply removing it and going for a ride to test if its hurting my power without hurting the engine?

thanks for the help guys im new to bikes and this is my first street bike so i dont know much more then what i have researched online i have a good understanding of engines and mechanical things just havent much experience in bikes in particular
Old 09-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #13162
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

DR350 is not quit a "street bike". Do not pull the air filter and run the bike. Fuel air mixutre will be too lean. If it looks clean it probably is. Mine is always dirty and it runs ok and looks dirty.

I have gotten my DR up to 80+mph (gps confirmed). In fact it was right before or after when my profile picture was taken. Dry lake bed of black rock desert. Everything powerwise is stock on my bike.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #13163
kaukasion
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
DR350 is not quit a "street bike". Do not pull the air filter and run the bike. Fuel air mixutre will be too lean. If it looks clean it probably is. Mine is always dirty and it runs ok and looks dirty.

I have gotten my DR up to 80+mph (gps confirmed). In fact it was right before or after when my profile picture was taken. Dry lake bed of black rock desert. Everything powerwise is stock on my bike.
i should have phrased or worded that better
what i meant was this is my first non 2stroke bike the only other being a cr250r

ok ive also thought of some other things it hasnt been rode since yesterday about 30 miles pinned in 6th at between 40-55mph "hilly roads" would the plug tell me much about if its running stoich? or would the evidence be gone from the few miles of it that were in town once i hit town?

ive also read that i could partially open the choke while flat out and see if i pick up the extra power to prove a theory of lean condition but im afraid of fouling out the plug by doing this

im really starting to think i may not have gotten the slide diaphragm seated correctly "was being a pain in the ass to get to sit in is grove" i think i got it right after about five mins of messing with it and the cap seemed to seat evenly and smoothly after some fighting with it not wanting to stay in place

ive heard a pinched diaphragm can cause a lack of power like this even from a slight pinch but it seems to me that it would have a bigger loss of power across the entire rpm range but it seems to be fine just weak in the top say 5k to redline range but possibly lifting the slide still but just not letting the needle come all the way out of the main jet?

i have the bst33 carb
also could this be a vacuum leak?
i had an extra hose after putting everything back together that i didnt remember where it went i looked up online and found where someone said it was a vent that just goes upwards toward the frame so i did that and it isnt connected to anything just pointing upward from the carb, its on the opposite side as the choke, and no its not the vac line for the vacuum petcock i capped it off with a vac line cap i bought from autozone

kaukasion screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 11:09 AM
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #13164
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,340
What elevation do you live at ?
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #13165
kaukasion
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
What elevation do you live at ?
im in central illinois so id imagine that is not a whole lot above sea
a quick check on google netted this
~600ft above sea level
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #13166
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,340
Well that's certainly not the problem then , the stock jetting you have used should be just fine there .

It should quiet easily pull 70mph for you so I'm guessing another wee trip through your carb may find something .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #13167
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
hey i just bought a 96 dr350se that hadnt been started or ran in a few years previous owner was a friend of mine that died it only has 6000 miles on it and was well maintained. the bad gas gunked up the carb pretty good it was running really erratic and would not idle after draining and fresh gas so i decided to take it apart and carb cleaner it out out good and i replaced the idle mixture screw with a longer one that i can adjust while on the bike, i replaced the petcock with the raptor one and i replaced the main and pilot jet with stockers and the bike is running and idling great seemingly, but the damn thing will only go 50mph at max while under load with me on it in 6th gear... i weigh about 215 lbs and was wondering if this is normal or because im a heavier rider? i thought this bike or at least all reviews of the bike ive read said it should top out closer to 70

if this isnt normal where should i start looking for my missing 20mph? it seems to be getting great fuel economy and has a smooth somewhat snappy throttle response and im puzzled. i have read through this thread a few times and you guys seem like the only collection of people i can find online that really have any experience with this exact bike everyone else is talking about the bigger brother of it. i love the bike it seems as durable as a tank and i dont want to not be able to go outside of town because i cant go fast enough :(
I don't think a rider wieghing 250lbs is going to top out a lot different from a rider weighing 150lbs, on flat and level, no wind etc. Might get there a little slower. Recently, at near 6k ft, I had my stock '98se at 65mph (GPS). That was as fast as I felt comfortable running the bike. Any more felt like it was hurting the engine. But that's just me. Don't like that feeling. I know a lot of people run faster and more rpms, and some get away with it (for a while). Things that can make a difference : Gearing, Intake/Exhaust restriction, Jetting, Brakes, Bearings, Fuel/flow, Over all condition - tires, chain/sprockets, the list goes on and on. 50mph doesn't sound right, with stock gearing.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #13168
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
chk compression then if good then take the carb apart again.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #13169
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
chk compression then if good then take the carb apart again.
Not so easy to do.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #13170
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,893
If you have 16 tooth on the front you are geared "High". The bike may be bogging a bit with the tall gearing. Knock it down a gear and see what happens. You should be able to pull 60-70 in 5th,

My SE runs about 6000rpm at 60 in 5th. 55-5700 in 6th. That is with a 15 front sprocket.

When pulling onto pavement I usually run up to 50mph, or more,in 4th getting up to speed. That is with 350 lbs of me and gear.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote