Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #13351
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post

If you want big tank though this is what you need. I think it is a ten gallon tank.

http://www.enduro-manufaktur.ch/tangebot.html
Incredible! They also list a 50 liter (13+ US gallon) tank at the bottom of that page!!!

At 6 pounds per gallon of fuel, that is 78 pounds inside the tank when full. Best budget for some stiffer springs, too.

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #13352
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Incredible! They also list a 50 liter (13+ US gallon) tank at the bottom of that page!!!

At 6 pounds per gallon of fuel, that is 78 pounds inside the tank when full. Best budget for some stiffer springs, too.

Gregory Bender

That is 50liter of gas + 8 liters of water!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #13353
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
The tank does not look too big as most of the gas is forward of the rider's knees. However you have to hack up your stock mounts.

Here is a write up on how to mount it.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...opic=58367.160
Spectacular. Thanks for the link. I think the 5.8 gallon tank is going to be in my future for one of my bikes. It doesn't look much more obtrusive than the 4.25 gallon tank I've got now. Having an extra 1.5 gallons is going to be spectacular for long back-country trips.

As much as I have no practical reason for one of those huge enduro tanks (15+ gallon?!?!) I still want one. Good thing they're so expensive.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #13354
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
As much as I have no practical reason for one of those huge enduro tanks (15+ gallon?!?!) I still want one. Good thing they're so expensive.
Yep - I'd grab one just for bragging rights if they weren't so expensive. Out here in the west, gas stops can be few and far between....but not far enough to justify a 715 - 910 mile range (thinking 55 to 70 MPG with a 13 gallon tank).

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #13355
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
And you have to chop the front of your seat off.

MrPulldown screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 09:33 AM
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #13356
kaukasion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
hey, new rider here, im using this bike to learn to ride on and to get me back and forth to work

i seem to be doing well so far and picking it up fast
but im having some issues if any of you have advice
like in traffic and downshifting it just seems to want to lock up the back tire no matter what i try to do
is there a trick to it or does it just take getting used to? i try to rev match but most times my revs are still to low lol

most times i pretty much just clutch in and go down multiple gears instead of stepping down each gear as i slow and because im so nervous for my rear tire to skid and i cross my fingers that when traffic picks back up i have it in the right gear lol
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #13357
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasion View Post
hey, new rider here, im using this bike to learn to ride on and to get me back and forth to work

like in traffic and downshifting it just seems to want to lock up the back tire no matter what i try to do
is there a trick to it or does it just take getting used to? i try to rev match but most times my revs are still to low lol

most times i pretty much just clutch in and go down multiple gears instead of stepping down each gear as i slow and because im so nervous for my rear tire to skid and i cross my fingers that when traffic picks back up i have it in the right gear lol

Sounds like your rear brake needs adjusting or repaired. It should not lock up so easily.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #13358
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:

Sorry if this is to fundamental. It' been a long time sense my first rides. From 6th gear, use engine braking and the rear brake to begin slowing down. Be careful of the front brake until you understand the dynamics. A lot of weight moves to the front under braking, so the front brake has a lot of influence. Any irregular surface, or lack of traction or change in direction on the front tire can dump you. Down shift one gear at a time with a little rear brake and release the clutch with discretion. Engine braking is you friend, but down shifting too a much lower gear can lock up the rear tire on any surface. Practice, Practice, Practice. Carefully.

If you really want to learn to ride, participate in a Trials club in your area.

2bold2getold screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 04:51 PM
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #13359
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I think I posted this pic a few years ago, but here's the Acerbis on my bike..
Bought it new in "91, logged well over 20k dirt miles on it.
The best mod's were the gold valves followed by thumper racing's 435 kit and magic air box.
Any Q's, gimme a holler..
That is a very nice bike!

I just got the same taillight/turn signal/license plate thing. How do you like yours and anything to be wary of with it?

Any pics of the extended rack?
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #13360
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:

You are probably downshifting at too high rpm. Still, it all takes coordination and practice. Continue trying to perfect your rev matching, be smooooooth with application of all controls, including easing out the clutch after shifts (faster will come with practice).

If you have not done so already, please consider some training. You might be able to take the MSF BRC on your own bike - and you would definitely be able to take an ERC on it later, once you have built some experience.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #13361
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post

If you have not done so already, please consider some training. You might be able to take the MSF BRC on your own bike - and you would definitely be able to take an ERC on it later, once you have built some experience.
+1 on the brc. It's a huge advantage and you make new riding buds in your area.

you can just hold in the clutch and downshift without ever letting it out and use your brakes instead of engine braking. It's actually easier on your timing chain etc doing it that way.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #13362
ilprincipe
n00b

Oddometer: 9
large gas tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
Spectacular. Thanks for the link. I think the 5.8 gallon tank is going to be in my future for one of my bikes. It doesn't look much more obtrusive than the 4.25 gallon tank I've got now. Having an extra 1.5 gallons is going to be spectacular for long back-country trips.

I wanted to buy the acerbis tank made specifically for the dr 350, but after seeing this, I am seriously considering getting the xr 600 one. I only need it for travelling, for which the larger one is better anyways. But imho it also looks much nicer and fits the optic of the bike much better. The acerbis tank made for the 350 often looked odd to me, otherwise I would have already bought one.

The seat itself does not have to be modified to fit it and there are no irreversible changes that prevent you from running the stock tank again right?

ilprincipe screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 07:24 AM Reason: question
ilprincipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #13363
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
here's mine with a xr600 5 gallon tank. doesn't look as good as stock but not to oversized looking. gives me 350 mile range so covers everything I do. stock seat fits ok and mounting was pretty easy.

99 dr350
78 r80
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #13364
kaukasion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
hello another issue here, i had just noticed this since it was cold and tried to start it

would it indicate a rich condition if ur bike will not start with the choke out?
like it will only start with choke in which requires alot of cranking when its cold
as soon as it is started if u pull the choke out the rpms will raise to about 3k then it will stall and die withing about 2-3 seconds

how many turns out from light seated should the idle mixture screw be? im at about 2 turns out pretty much dead on at it
kaukasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #13365
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
May be a clog in the low speed jet. Turning idle speed adjustment may/may not fix it.