User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #13486
Spad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
99 DR350SE teardown followup

This morning I hit what I think of as the halfway point in my teardown to fix the broken shift drum bolt. Last night I got the crank out of the cases, and this morning I got the broken bolt out of the (now removed) shift drum, without killing the threads! They're set to be sent off for upgrades (locking the counterbalancer gear pin into the crank, and replacing the shift drum bolt with an 8mm version).

While they're out, I'll clean up the carbon from the piston and head, order new bits to replace the ones bunged up in the teardown (mostly rounded bolts & nuts, and items that need replacing anyway like gaskets and seals) and sort out the ziplocs into some semblance of order for putting things back.

It would be easy if everything went back in the same order it came out, but in my ignorance I did some steps later than I should have and others earlier. Thank goodness for Clymer, Suzuki's service manual, DisTech's thread (his pics put mine to shame, which still aren't downloaded) and Jesse at Kientech.

Having the right tools helped. I picked up a crank puller, flyweel puller and crank mounter along the way, and I think I would have broken the cases if I hadn't had them. Impact driver, six point wrenches and propane torch were also helpful.

Thanks for the help earlier, and be prepared for more questions as I get into putting this back together.

- Spad
99 DR350SE
Spad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #13487
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Poor Idle

1999 SE Model - 13,000 km

My son's DR started to show idle issues..............very suddenly. Bike sat for 2-3 weeks and stared fine. Since then the idle is off. Some times it is fine, other times it simply stalls. If the idle jet was dirty I would think that the idle would always be poor. Once it hits mid revs or higer it works perfect.

I did find a slight leak around the fuel petcock but I don't think this would effect the idle. Any info would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #13488
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR View Post
1999 SE Model - 13,000 km

My son's DR started to show idle issues..............very suddenly. Bike sat for 2-3 weeks and stared fine. Since then the idle is off. Some times it is fine, other times it simply stalls. If the idle jet was dirty I would think that the idle would always be poor. Once it hits mid revs or higer it works perfect.

I did find a slight leak around the fuel petcock but I don't think this would effect the idle. Any info would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR
My 250SE did that. I replaced the o-rings in the carb and got a new inlet needle & seat. While I had the carb apart I meticulously cleaned everything, replaced the bowl gasket, installed new socket-head bowl screws, as well as a Keintech fuel mixture screw. I also replaced the vacuum petcock with the Yamaha Raptor petcock. I don't know which of these items was the culprit, but the bike runs great now.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #13489
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
My 250SE did that. I replaced the o-rings in the carb and got a new inlet needle & seat. While I had the carb apart I meticulously cleaned everything, replaced the bowl gasket, installed new socket-head bowl screws, as well as a Keintech fuel mixture screw. I also replaced the vacuum petcock with the Yamaha Raptor petcock. I don't know which of these items was the culprit, but the bike runs great now.
I see suspicion from the petcock .Buddies SE had an episode of speratic idle fluctuation (similar to leaking intake boots~but his were fully sealed and pliable though) and nothing now for a while. Not sure if an air leak at the petcock can cause fluctuations in idle like this, certainly if it were the intake boots. If air was being lost or gained in the vac lines through the petcock could that result in air pockets in the gas line all the way to the jets? e.i. disturbing constant flow of fuel. Does someone have an answer for this?

FlyingWman screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 12:07 PM
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #13490
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

A vacuum leak at the petcock wouldn't cause air in the fuel line, but would cause the air/fuel mixture to be a bit lean. The carb meters a specific amount of fuel for a given throttle position, assuming that the only air in the mixture comes through the throttle.

But if a bit of air, unknown to the carb, sneaks into the combustion chamber by another route, the amount of fuel isn't enough for the total amount of air being pulled into the combustion chamber.

Another disturbing possibility from a broken vacuum petcock is that the perforated diaphragm can allow fuel from the tank to flow through the vacuum line, into the intake manifold. Left unchecked, it is quite possible for the tank to drain into the engine, filling the sump with gasoline. Bad.
XR400 Index
Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #13491
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Just more reason to X out the vacuum system with a raptor. I just got one to replace my stock dirt petcock which I think is suspect for needing rebuilt. Told my buddy he could get a good price on one needing a rebuild kit ..
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #13492
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

"Another disturbing possibility from a broken vacuum petcock is that the perforated diaphragm can allow fuel from the tank to flow through the vacuum line, into the intake manifold. Left unchecked, it is quite possible for the tank to drain into the engine, filling the sump with gasoline. Bad."

I thought I prevented this scenerio but installing an in line shut-off between the petcock and the carb. I never thought about fuel flowing through the vacuum line

Time for the raptor replacement petcock.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 05:11 PM
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #13493
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I need a throttle cable for my -91 with a pumper carb.
The carb ends of the cable need to be straight and not curved for the TM33 from what I remember. I guess it doesnt matter which of these I order, both have the same part number?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-S...19cec3&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-S...8bae86&vxp=mtr
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #13494
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaThumper View Post
Thanks! I'm going to put it back together today. It looked like they would get in the way, but I'll see how it goes.
Throttle cable installed with no modifications! Nice and smoooth again.

Thanks for the advice Greg!

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:05 AM   #13495
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Raptor fuel petcock on order. What does one do with the vacuum line? What's the best way block it off?

Canadian FJR
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 AM   #13496
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
I need a throttle cable for my -91 with a pumper carb.
The carb ends of the cable need to be straight and not curved for the TM33 from what I remember. I guess it doesnt matter which of these I order, both have the same part number?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-S...19cec3&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-S...8bae86&vxp=mtr
Hi Teeeeeemu,

Rather than trust what someone writes in an eBay auction, I typically try to go directly to the Manufacturer and see what they say.

Compare this:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...R_350S/Cables/

To this:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...DR_350/Cables/

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #13497
Teeeeeemu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Hi Teeeeeemu,

Rather than trust what someone writes in an eBay auction, I typically try to go directly to the Manufacturer and see what they say.

Compare this:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...R_350S/Cables/

To this:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...DR_350/Cables/

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Sorry for more stupid questions, I almost ordered yesterday.

So street model has one option, 05-0317
and dirt model has two, 05-0317 or 04-0130.

My bike is street but carb is dirt so I guess I should pick the dirt option.
04-0130 seems to maybe have longer cables and thats the only difference I can tell.
And if they say both will fit the dirt bike, I should be fine with the shorter ones too.
Which one should I pick?

I ordered an IMS gear lever by following your site part numbers btw, thanks for that
Teeeeeemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #13498
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian FJR View Post
Raptor fuel petcock on order. What does one do with the vacuum line? What's the best way block it off?

Canadian FJR
Remove the vacuum line from the carb on the right side, then block off the vacuum port with a rubber cap, available at any auto parts store.

XR400 Index

Stretch67 screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 03:45 PM
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #13499
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeeeemu View Post
Sorry for more stupid questions, I almost ordered yesterday.

So street model has one option, 05-0317
and dirt model has two, 05-0317 or 04-0130.

My bike is street but carb is dirt so I guess I should pick the dirt option.
04-0130 seems to maybe have longer cables and thats the only difference I can tell.
And if they say both will fit the dirt bike, I should be fine with the shorter ones too.
Which one should I pick?

I ordered an IMS gear lever by following your site part numbers btw, thanks for that
Well, the notes fro the 05-0317 indicate that it is "For use with Straight Push Pull (01-0073) throttle and Mikuni HS40 carb". Is that what you have?

Personally, I would go back to the Suzuki spare parts catalogs and work forward from there. Find out what other model years/configurations) that same Suzuki part number was used on and then see what aftermarket part number by Motion pro fit those.

Those early years with the DR350 were a bit confusing when it came to which carb was fit to what model. Weren't pumpers fit to all the earliest models? I'd have to check the books to be sure. I highly doubt that Motion Pro evaluated all throttle/carb combinations that Suzuki used. Plus, your DR350 wasn't originally sold in the states, was it? There may be differences there, too.

Sorry I can't give you a firm part number to order from Motion Pro.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #13500
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post

Those early years with the DR350 were a bit confusing when it came to which carb was fit to what model. Weren't pumpers fit to all the earliest models?
The street model always had the CV carb, at least in the US market.

Now to throw a wrench in the works, I bought a stock 98 dirt model DR350 from the original owner and it had a CV carb and not a pumper. I believe that the California market ended up with CV carbs for the last year or two of production. Suzuki has done that on a few bikes, the DRZ400E for example.