Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #13516
Canadian FJR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
"The spacer typically has a drain hole in it, so that if the layer nearest the fuel gets a hole in it, the fuel will exit there"

Thanks for the note Motolab, it is currenlty leaking a little bit through the hole in the spacer located on the bottom side of the petcock. The Raptor valve will eliminate this issue.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #13517
Prest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
how much is to much voltage out of the stator i looked in the book and it says 65v at 5k rpm i dont have a tac but when i rev my bike my stator is puting out up to about 90v im not sure what rpm im at i know my rectifire is bad to it was leting all the voltage thru
Prest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #13518
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,844
I have flooded my engine more times with aftermarket petcock then I ever did with the stock vacuum one. In fact I never flooded my engine with a stock petcock

MrPulldown screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 11:45 AM
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #13519
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,241
Finally got my license plate in.
It is a sign of defiance since the New Mexico DMV said I could never make a DR350 street legal.

'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #13520
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,995
FTW!!!

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #13521
Prest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Found a used rectifier on eBay for $35 so hope this fixes my problem
Prest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #13522
LawlerClan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
LED bulb

If you are looking to free up power an LED tail light bulb is nice. Don't sweat the trun signals as they are on so intermittenly and you will mess with the blinker relay (need to add additonal resistance). The dash has an outragous number of watt draining bulbs as well. swap those out for LED and you should free up quite a few watts. HID head light can gree up another 20.[/QUOTE]

Have you found one you like that works well? I have seen mixed reviews on them.

LawlerClan screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 06:56 AM Reason: fix typo
LawlerClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #13523
jeep8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post
Hi all.

Need a bit of advice on aftermarket stators.

My stator('90 350s) is fubar, a piece of spring found it's way inside and damaged the coils and pickup.

Seeing as I need to get a new one, what would the advice be regarding aftermarket sources, who's the best and any other advice that you guys can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Alli
I had my stator rewound by a local company and I was satisfied with the result. Also it cost less than a replacement. Look for a business in your area that does this type of work.
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #13524
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawlerClan View Post
If you are looking to free up power an LED tail light bulb is nice. Don't sweat the trun signals as they are on so intermittenly and you will mess with the blinker relay (need to add additonal resistance). The dash has an outragous number of watt draining bulbs as well. swap those out for LED and you should free up quite a few watts. HID head light can gree up another 20.
Have you found one you like that works well? I have seen mixed reviews on them.[/QUOTE]

Which one?
LED Tail
LED Dash light bulbs or
HID Kit.

The answer really is no, but...

My riding buddy has an LED tail lights. Just what ever stock repelcements the local moto shop sells. Can barely tell the differecne from incandesent.

I have found the dash lights on web sites like this. http://www.superbrightleds.com/ But since I don't have a stock instrument cluster anymore i stopped looking.

THis is the link that got me interseted in HID systems:
http://www.procycle.us/info/articles...ess-power.html
Go back to the DR650 product page and you can find their HID for sale.

However I beleive it is jsut a rebranded version of this for a fraction of the cost.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-H4-3-HB2-...981373&vxp=mtr

The Hi/low system I have heard is a bit funcky. Doesn't use a two filimetn bulb but instead move the bulb back and forth via a servo motor. The positons the bulb in the refelctor tranlates the light higher and lower. But the e-bay kits was not wired properly. Seems like it was jsut half of a dual light car kit. So there was some monkeying around. Things might have gotten better recently. I was jsut going to go with a non servo single postion light and lose the hi/low function. Maybe things got better over the last year.

I will be back into this this winter, as it is when I moneky with my bike,

There are a few HID thread roaming around ADV. I'd look into those for more info.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #13525
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep8 View Post
I had my stator rewound by a local company and I was satisfied with the result. Also it cost less than a replacement. Look for a business in your area that does this type of work.
Custom Rewind in Birmingham? They did a couple stators for my Triumph Tiger (one for the bike and a spare for traveling) a few years ago. Great work and customer service.

http://www.customrewind.com/
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #13526
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
It is a sign of defiance since the New Mexico DMV said I could never make a DR350 street legal.
i love that
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #13527
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

Seriously? Wow, I grew up there, and things used to be VERY different. Case in point: I had an RGV250 (Suzuki 2-stroke GP bike). We slapped lights, signals, etc on it, took it down, got it plated. Same day. I also got my RM-80 plated the same way. Of course, this was in the late 80s/early 90s.

I see you're in Las Cruces. I went to NMSU. GO AGGIES!
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #13528
dirtyron
never grew up

Oddometer: 293
is the dr350 headlight the same as the dr650? i am wondering if the pro cycle hid kit plugs in to our bikes.
dirtyron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #13529
ctjohnson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hey guys,

Got a question to make sure I'm on the right track. My buddy just bought a 1995 DR just like mine and it has ran flawlessly for over a month. The other day he rode it home and went to start it about an hour later and nothing. It will just chug and chug but not start. Since it chugs I knew it wasn't the sidestand switch, clutch switch, etc. I traded out petcocks to a Raptor 660 one just to make sure fuel wasn't the problem and it's getting fuel for sure.

I believe I have traced the problem to an intermittent spark issue. With the plug removed and grounded I'll get like 3 sparks when pressing the e-start button and then nothing. Sometimes it will spark for 10 seconds and other times no spark at all. This took a while to determine because the first few tests I was getting spark and was really confused. The shop manual says that for poor or no spark it should be the plug, coil, CDI, or magneto.

So now I have him getting a new resister cover(spark plug boot) and ignition coil (comes with attached spark plug wire) because that's the cheapest fixes to start off with. I am not very good with a multimeter tester and in general hate electric problems so I wanted opinions to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks. (oh ya, I am using a new plug and have tried 2 different ones to rule out a faulty one, compression is good, and I have looked over the whole bike for cracked or frayed wires)
ctjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #13530
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyron View Post
is the dr350 headlight the same as the dr650? i am wondering if the pro cycle hid kit plugs in to our bikes.
dr350 headlight is rectangular shaped
dr650 headlight is trapezoid shaped
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote