Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #1366
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
The last year for any DR350 kick or otherwise in the US was 1999, I don't know about other markets.

The TM33SS is the only carb that is a bolt-on solution with no hassle for the DR350SE. Another good option is the FCR35 from Sudco, but I'm not sure it would clear the starter on an SE model and you'll be on your own for a lot of the setup, so a lot more work for a bit more sophistication.

Non-pumper flat slides don't generally work very well on four strokes and I've never seen one work well on the DR. I wouldn't waste my time as chances of it being an improvement over the CV are very slim.

I use a Zumo 550 for street use. I've not used a GPS much off road. The zumo is quite durable, but not really designed for off road use imho. It makes a great dual sporting GPS but for hard core off road (and I mean off road, not dirt roads etc) there are better units (smaller, more durable and work differently to better work with topo maps and such - poke your head in the gps section).
As usual, BP is right on the marker. +1

I have a Garmin GPS V with a RAM mount. If you read my TAT Ride Report, you'll know it stood up to alot of vibration/abuse during my ride. RAM Mounts = highly recommended.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #1367
maffew
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Just a quick question

Hey guys.

Just a quick question. I have a DR 350 1998 and very soon, I will need to replace the piston. Which piston is best, it would be great to get a little more power too and if I'm getting a piston kit anyway, should I get one that is a little oversized and have it bored??

I've been riding it through South America and am currently in Ecuador, will hopefully, no, will definitely be arriving in Argentina in a few months, I love and have full faith in my DR!

Hey, while I'm at it, what's the verdict on the kit that is best for air in-take, carb jet, exhaust etc! I will get it all done at the same time. I'll order the parts all at the same time as they will need to be shipped from the States.

Thanks for any advise guys
maffew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #1368
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
maffew

I have no answers for you but given the situation you are in I would give Jesse a call at kientech
www.kientech.com/

He is a great guy and runs an outstanding business, selling parts related to the dr/drz bikes, including the parts you are looking for. His reputation is solid and he will steer you in the right direction, you can take his word as being the gospel truth on your problem. He is not quick to reply to emails so a phone call is best.

Let us know how things turn out.
John

p.s no pics of your trip?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #1369
Richard_A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus
maffew

I have no answers for you but given the situation you are in I would give Jesse a call at kientech
www.kientech.com/
your link does not work , try this one http://www.kientech.com/
Richard_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #1370
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Sort of an odd observation.

Is it normal to have a large bubble in the fuel line going into the fuel bowl?

I've noticed lately when the fuel bowl dries up after sitting for 4-5 days and I turn on the petcock. The fuel bowl will still fill and stay filled even when running wide open, but there is almost no fuel in the line at all. It never used have more than a small pebble sized bubble in it and there's no fuel starvation symptoms that i've noticed, but it makes me paranoid.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #1371
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
For the piston, I recommend a wiseco, either in stock bore, or if you suspect your bore is very worn, you can go with a larger size and have the steel liner bored to match. The wiseco gives you 1pt more compression and is forged and thereby stronger. Do take care to ensure that the piston/cylinder clearnce is correct and you'll be good to go. Stock bore is 79mm, you can go up to 83mm with the stock cylinder liner I think, but it is pretty thin so I'd not go larger than 82mm myself.

For exahust, I actually prefer the stock exhaust as all the aftermarket options are much louder and the power gain isn't all that great. If you do want to go aftermarket, the FMF Q is well made and quiter than most (though still too loud imho). The stock header is fine, but you can have it ceramic coated by Jet Hot to look better and radiate less heat onto your leg (and back into the motor). I was surpised how much difference the ceramic coating made (I have a coated header on one of my DR's but not the other so can compare easily) in terms of how hot the bike felt. Given how close the oil line runs to the header it must make for cooler oil temps too, but I haven't a good way of measuring that.

For the carb, the best solution imho is the TM33SS kit from Kientech. It is very complete and a fool-proof solution. Will give drastically improved throttle response over stock and a bit more peak power. jessie's recomend jetting pretty good, but perhaps a touch rich (was for my application anyway). I would order it up, jetted by him and ask for jets both one step richer and one step leaner so you can dial it in as needed. I'm running a 40pilot and 140 main on my 350 with wiseco piston, opened up airbox and stock exhaust and that seems just about right at sea level.

If the bike has enough miles to have worn out the pistion (these pistons as a general rule just don't wear out!), you should also replace the timing chain and perhaps the chain buffers.

For the air intake, its probably best to stick with the stock airbox and whatever quality oiled foam filter is available. Opening up the airbox is worth a little bit of power, but also means the filter gets dirty more quickly and is much more susceptable to drowning out in deep water crossings. The usual airbox mod for people who aren't bothered by these things is to cut a 3" x 3" hole out of the top of the airbox above the air filter.

Good luck

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #1372
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Hi all.
Just bought a '91 DR350 about a month or so ago so figured I would post a couple of pics.
It's really clean and in great shape, just under 3,000 miles.
I picked it up for $550.
Bone stock except for a SuperTrapp pipe which I took off and replaced with a used stock muffler from Ebay. I removed the graphics from the side covers and headlight fairing (a little too much color for my liking) Removed the Acerbis disc brake/fork guards (didn't care for the look) and removed the stock hand guards and added Acerbis hand guards and a set of Kenda K270's, (not in the pics)

Photobucket

Photobucket

And heres a couple of pics of my '90 DR250, one with the new DR350 and one with my XT600 which I sold a couple of months ago.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The XT600 was a fast bike but just too big and bulky for the New England woods (The Connecticut state flower is a rock )

I didn't think the 350 would perform so much better than the 250 but theres a huge difference in the power between the two.
I would say that the DR350 is a perfect compromise of weight to power for a dual sport. At least for the terrain in my area and for my riding style.
Cheers!

Bob Onit screwed with this post 11-21-2008 at 11:18 PM
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #1373
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Hey Guys, I bought a 99 DR350 last fall and am currently getting it set up to my liking for spring (or whenever I get it done) so I thought I would check in. Not to many mods just fenders brush guards and a headlight stone guard but I need to pick up a new tail light for the MX style fender. I'm located just north of Albany NY so its pretty cold here right now anyway!

Just wondering if anyone has had there 99 DR launch itself as described at the keintech site? This crank pin issue concerns me a little but really hate to tear the bike down and find out all is well inside. A friend lost his 97 to the problem last fall and it made a heck of a mess!
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #1374
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

The crank pin thing is, imho, way overblown. There are very, very few cases of the problem occurring and a huge number of DR's in use. The probabilities are so remote its just not worth worrying about imho.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #1375
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Well it is a sad day boys, the riding season is over and my DR is tucked inside for the winter. Time to start thinking about some farkles.
Here is what I am thinking.
- Pulling the clutch to take a look is at the top of the list.
- More aggressive tires for sure.
- New cables, anyone know of an online source?
- New air filter, not sure which one, any thoughts?
- Pumper carb and bigger gas tank? Maybe.... I will have to wait and see how big my profit sharing cheque is this year. I am a computer programmer
for a financial institution so I'm not holding my breath

Hope your riding season was good, and if your still riding, enjoy you lucky bas&^rds

Old 11-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #1376
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Great looking bike!

The pumper carb is excellent, I highly recommend it. For tanks the Acerbis is the best option.

Airfilter choice doesn't much matter, but do stick with oiled foam (i.e. no gauze filters, they don't do much filtering and do not deal well with dirty environments). Uni, Twinair, WhitePower etc are all good

For cables, I've found the OEM ones to be the cheapest and smoothest, bikebandit has great prices.

For street legal tires the dulop 606's work quite well.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #1377
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Jonny - what tires are you running now?

D606's are good, as are Pirelli MT-21's.

I have a TKC80 front and Kenda K270 rear on my 350 and am quite happy with that combo. It's a good balance between peg-scraping tarmac traction and rock scrambling. I use TKC80's front and rear on my DRZ and it's hard to compare them - the DRZ seems to carry a lot more weight on the front end, and it needs a more aggressive front tire than a TKC, I think.

I use the Acerbis tank on my 350 - love it.

We should get together and ride next spring! I live just north of Kingston and though my 350 lives in SoCal at a buddy's place, my DRZ-SM is here, and I've got a set of 21"/18"'s to throw on. I need some guidance on local trails!

I haven't put the bikes away yet - it's -10 celsius now, but I know there's gonna be a warm day in December that I'm going to kick myself if I can't ride!

cheers,
dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:16 PM   #1378
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

bmwrider75

I am running Kenda 270's, the bike had a pair of 760's on them, when they were done I went to the 270's. I think I will go back to something more aggressive like the d606's or the 760's.
Definetly up for some riding next spring. We can hook up here or via my email johnvanzanten at cogeco dot ca.

Most of my off road riding has been out of Sharbot Lake or Kaladar. Check out the links below, the first one has a nice map of the area. The map can be picked up at Tony's Cycle or the Performance Shed on 38.

http://www.thetrail.ca/info/map.htm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385629

John
Old 11-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #1379
grovertt
Noob loves the boob.

Oddometer: 2
need help with mr dr 350

ive got a 98 suzuki dr350s that i use for an adventure bike (wrong bike i know)
the thing handles like a pregnant pig when its lightly packed.
its had $1300 worth of suspension(revalved - heavy springs etc)
any help would be great.
grovertt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #1380
Ivyleague
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Oh, crap.....

Not what i wanted to see ... I just got a 98 DR 350 off Ebay and was wondering what I could do (without spending a couple of thou') to make it ride better. Want 50/50 dirt/street, but will watch replies closely.

Stopped by a local shop today in CO Springs to ask about re-jetting and lowering bike w/Kouba links. Guy said" Naw, just bring it in and well adjust the mono shock for you - only $60/hr labor."
Ivyleague is offline   Reply With Quote