Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #14176
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Like your solution for carrying tire irons. Have you ever lost one from this location?
Nope. Got em taped together and secured with two stainless steel geared clamps. Seems solid.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #14177
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 26
Many thanks to 2Bold2GetOld for the prompt response and great photos!

Now I can see that a PO has already removed my lower roller, but as he also fitted the much-sought after plastic frame guards, they obscured the mounting point. Everything seems to work fine without either roller now, so I think I'll just stick with that for now.

While I'm here, I just thought I'd show you the problems we have off-roading here in the UK.
Never mind dogs and shotguns - here they keep you out with battle tanks!

OldUKBikerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #14178
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
If you are mostly road and smooth off road, then I can't imagine not having the rollers will make much difference. However, any more aggressive off road and you might want to reconsider. Without the rollers you will have a potentially much larger variance in chain angle and could experience derailing.

Do you set your preload higher with a passenger? If not, setting it much higher when two-up might take care of the issue with the roller being in contact.

ps. love the picture......
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #14179
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldUKBikerGuy View Post
Many thanks to 2Bold2GetOld for the prompt response and great photos!

Now I can see that a PO has already removed my lower roller, but as he also fitted the much-sought after plastic frame guards, they obscured the mounting point. Everything seems to work fine without either roller now, so I think I'll just stick with that for now.

While I'm here, I just thought I'd show you the problems we have off-roading here in the UK.
Never mind dogs and shotguns - here they keep you out with battle tanks!

Interesting.... We've lost a lot of riding area that was available back when nobody seemed to care much if you rode on railroad and power line right of ways etc and we all took it for granted. We still have a lot more area than you guys over there, I'm sure, but it's constantly changing. Non of us should become complacent. Back years ago, they used to have (I don't know, maybe still do) an Enduro on Fort Hood. A really large, even for Texas, Army training base. I didn't get too far in it, the ignition screwed up on my "72 Ossa Pioneer, but I remember guys telling stories about getting lost and actually coming face to face with a Tank on practice manuvers, and seeing them blow the hell out of a target on a near by hill with the BIG gun. Made quite an impression by all accounts....Also noticed your "98SE has the early forks ?

2bold2getold screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 02:17 PM
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #14180
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
If you are mostly road and smooth off road, then I can't imagine not having the rollers will make much difference. However, any more aggressive off road and you might want to reconsider. Without the rollers you will have a potentially much larger variance in chain angle and could experience derailing.

Do you set your preload higher with a passenger? If not, setting it much higher when two-up might take care of the issue with the roller being in contact.

ps. love the picture......
Yes, that makes sense! Virtually all my riding is on tarmac, and we have the preload set about mid way which gives a wonderfully smooth ride under most conditions.
I can't see me ever derailing the chain....but I better not tempt fate.

Glad you liked the picture....it was cold (for us softies) out there today, but it gave us new admiration for all you hardcore DR riders that know what REAL cold feels like!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #14181
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
,..Also noticed your "98SE has the early forks ?
Mmm, I noticed that, a while after I bought the bike and then read on here that the 'later 98 -99 forks were the ones to have'.

Although my bike is technically a 98, it was registered early in January that year, so was obviously built in 97.
I guess somebody has to use up all the old bits whilst they change over, and I'm never going to ride hard enough to notice the difference anyway.

Despite expensive replacement Progressive shocks front and back on my H*rley, it still rides like an old truck, so the DR seems like a magic carpet in comparison....!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #14182
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
...I didn't get too far in it, the ignition screwed up on my "72 Ossa Pioneer...
I know its OT, but had to mention I got my license back in 1976 on my cousin's 72 Pioneer.....it really was a cool bike from an interesting company.
markk900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #14183
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk900 View Post
I know its OT, but had to mention I got my license back in 1976 on my cousin's 72 Pioneer.....it really was a cool bike from an interesting company.
Yup, when you got all the fiberglasss off it, you could see the serious competion heritage. Rode the Texas State Enduro Circuit on it. At the time I had a small VW shop, and before it was over that thing had a LOT of VW parts on it
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #14184
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,393
Mid January rides are rare here in Maine but I had the opportunity to get out for a little tagging today. DR makes a great little winter bike. Roads were quite wet and covered with a lot of road sand and a few patches of ice...thinking I need to set up a little windshield and a heated gear loop for winter rides.

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #14185
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
holy crap, this is bull..i had to go back 3 pages to find the damn DR thread...wtf guys!

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #14186
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Dead CDI Needed

I'm looking for a dead CDI box.

Since being stranded for a week in Mexico when the HV winding on the stator opened up and having friends have several CDI failures I've been carrying a spare stator and CDI on my trips.

To save space I started looking at CDI's that make their own HV. I've got a system working on the bench but to do any extensive testing I need the wires and connectors from an OEM CDI for an e-start bike.

Anybody have a dead one I could use as a connector donor?

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #14187
OldUKBikerGuy
Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangwagz View Post
holy crap, this is bull..i had to go back 3 pages to find the damn DR thread...wtf guys!
Yeah, people keep filling it up with irrelevant stuff....er, like this!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #14188
mustangwagz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldUKBikerGuy View Post
Yeah, people keep filling it up with irrelevant stuff....er, like this!
ANd this!! LOL

atleast the next ppl to get one wont have to search very long. lol

My attempt to roundup Local Riders..
https://www.facebook.com/dualsportridingwesternpa
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #14189
visovm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Skid Plate mounting

To pick up on the discussion on page 943, I developed a slightly different attachment method for the MooseRacing skid plate I picked up through ProCycle.

I did not like the "P" mounting clamps in the back, and read about others who welded on pieces of aluminum to the rear of the skid plate to attach to the factory mounts. I dont have easy access to someone who knows how to weld aluminum, so I decided a mechanical connection could be no worse than the "P" clamps and would eliminate the bolts sticking out and getting destroyed and subsequently impossible to remove.

I have a lot of old stock aluminum, and machine hardware so that was not the issue. I used some L shaped aluminum and stainless hardware to attach the brackets to the skid plate in the proper position. This was a free mod for me since I have all the tools and materials, but I would imagine it would not be too expensive to purchase the materials if you dont have a friend who can weld it for you.

Here is the solution I came up with:

I hope this helps anyone who is considering something like this. When I have a chance to take it out and beat the heck out of it, I will report back if there are any failures.

I wish Moose and others would just weld on these tabs to use the factory mounting points. I would be willing to pay a little more for a skid plate that used all four stock mounting points.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #14190
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
Skid plate tabs

Well done

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote