Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #14341
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_83 View Post
Hoping it's just the gas, and that puff of "smoke" is water vapour.

I watched the video, and it seems to me you are close to having it running properly. That it gets worse when the engine warms indicates you are still running rich. The absence of deceleration popping normally suggests lean/air leak, is supporting evidence.

Normally, on a properly carbureted bike with a warmed up engine, the revs should jump up when you enage the enrichener, and on a cold engine will rich-bog when you apply throttle with the choke (enrichener) engaged. You only have half of that equation. The revs do not jump up with choke (enrichener).

I didn't hear the revs go up when you engaged the enrichener, which means you must be as rich as you can get already (i.e. float level, main/idle jet too large, leaking choke valve). If you have not done so already, you can test this by taking the air filter cover off or the airfilter out of the equation altogether, and cover the back of the carb with a shop rag. If it runs better, then your A/F ratio is off.

How does it run when you get it off the pilot circuit under load? Are you able to nurse it through startup and take it out for some high-speed runs? Or is it just so shite-poor that you're concerned it'll crap out on you in the middle of the run?

With all of the replacements you've done, electrical is not likely to be the problem, but it could be that you dislodged some wiring during the tank replacement and you are not getting full voltage at the coil.

Let's see what happens with the old tank back on.

Fingers crossed for you.
Just finished re-adjusting the valves. Starts up fine, then goes to hell as soon as it gets hot.
I'm draining the tank right now to put some fresh fuel in it and see if that is it.

I can try the airfilter trick right now too.

If that doesn't work I'm going to have to haul it 3 hours to my buddy's shop in T or C, NM and see what he says.

This bike should consider itself very fortunate it hasn't felt my wrath yet. I think the only thing saving it is all the trouble I went through getting it street legal and the high cost of ammo right now.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #14342
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

New gas didn't do anything.

Unhooked the boot from the airbox side of the carb and fired it up, that didn't change anything.

I did notice though with the boot off, a ridiculous amount of smoke pours out of the intake when the bike dies or is shut off.

Obviously too much fuel?

-new coil
-new plug
-clean air filter
-adjusted valves
-new gas
-cleaned carb extensively

So its still up in the air... this could be a carb problem or electrical.

I have the feeling since it ran awesome for a few months its not the carb. I fine tuned the jetting and clip position, bike ran superb. I cannot think of any reason why the bike would suddenly reject the jet settings after several thousand miles. And why would it fire up easy and run great until it gets warm? That shouldn't have anything to do with jetting.

Then after putting on the new Acerbis tank and filling it up, it started to die 1 hr into the trip, and by the next hour would barely run.

I only put .5 gallons of new gas in the Acerbis to make sure the larger fuel capacity wasn't overpressuring the carb.

All the electrical connections have been checked. Only thing not tested is the cdi, regulator and stator (I did a visual once over on the stator)

The weirdest damn thing is that the new coil and plug made the bike run better for a few minutes.

Bike starts up and runs fine cold. As soon as it gets warm it goes to hell.

In the next few weeks I'll have to haul it to T or C, NM and have my buddy tear into it. I'm sure you guys are beyond the point of exhaustion from seeing my posts about this shit box. I have too many projects to be working on right now in my little amount of free time. The DR will have to go on the back burner indefinitely.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #14343
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Ethanol in the fuel is raising hell in carburetors that sit for a bit. It probably needs a good carb cleaning. Especially the pilot circuit.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #14344
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Ethanol in the fuel is raising hell in carburetors that sit for a bit. It probably needs a good carb cleaning. Especially the pilot circuit.
The carb has been gone through a few times.

2 days ago I completely disassembled it and soaked the parts in a citric acid solution over night, scrubbed out every passage, jet, nook, cranny. Everything.

Then rinsed it in boiling hot water, blow dried everything with shop air and reassembled.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #14345
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
Did you go through the exhaust. Pull the header off and take a look. I have seen water traped in there that causes issues. The way the header pipe is low can trap a slug of water. Not enough to blow out throught the exhuast, jsut sit there. Also leaking joints can cuase problems. That is the first thing I thought of when you said backfireing. And finally the can itself can be plugged. Don't you have a super crap muffler. I have seen issues with the both the disked getting clooged and the end falling off and losing disk. Though I think you wouldbe able to hear the differecne.

Sorry to hear of your woes. Reading your post make me very sad.

Hopefully you get that CDI shipped out to you soon. I was going to offer up my extra one, but it is off a street version, and has twice as many plugs. Sure it would work once you figure out what was what.

May the force be with you!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #14346
BigD_83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
The carb has been gone through a few times.

2 days ago I completely disassembled it and soaked the parts in a citric acid solution over night, scrubbed out every passage, jet, nook, cranny. Everything.

Then rinsed it in boiling hot water, blow dried everything with shop air and reassembled.
I am surprised that adding that much air didn't change anything.

The only time I personally have had this sort of running issue was with a combination of weak spark (dying R/R, bad connectors to coils, cracked plug leads), and a really low float height (like 5 mm too low).

Exhaust out the carb would normally be intake valves stuck open, but you've adjusted those.

I only had smoke backup through the airbox once, on my GS650, never to reappear. I had a similar issue with a carb rebuild, where a pilot jet had not been seated properly, and was more like an open pipeline, rather than regulated flow, and it was flooding the combustion chamber.

Have you ever used Berryman carb cleaner? It's way more aggressive than citric acid, and I've seen cases where vinegar (acetic acid not citric) soaks have caused a fine residue/powder/film on the metal of the carb, causing subsequent blockage.

I can't imagine the extra volume of the new tank to be an issue, but how high the fuel sits could. However, you'd have to be REALLY high to force fuel past the needle seat given the carb tests you have run to date.

A real head scratcher you have here.
BigD_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #14347
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
New gas didn't do anything.

Unhooked the boot from the airbox side of the carb and fired it up, that didn't change anything.

I did notice though with the boot off, a ridiculous amount of smoke pours out of the intake when the bike dies or is shut off.
Ok, this reminds me of something. Back in the late 80's I was asked to work on a '78 Ford Fiesta. Total deader. The choke was gone off the carb, battery dead, a few other obvious. I and cleaned/checked/replaced the carb (plugged the vacuum ports that had gone to the choke) and the ignition system, replaced the battery. It would start up fine, run for a bit then start to choke up, then die - with a spout of white mist/smoke shooting up out of the carb.

Turned out that the carb mistreatment had sooted up the catalytic converter! Verified it by dropping the exhaust off the header - and it ran like a charm! I bet you've got something in the muffler restricting things - like a rat nest. I know it's a bitch to pull the muffler off the header (or it was for me) - but maybe you can just pull the header off the head and run for a short bit - or take the exhaust off and run water thru it to see if there's a plug.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #14348
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Ok, this reminds me of something. Back in the late 80's I was asked to work on a '78 Ford Fiesta. Total deader. The choke was gone off the carb, battery dead, a few other obvious. I and cleaned/checked/replaced the carb (plugged the vacuum ports that had gone to the choke) and the ignition system, replaced the battery. It would start up fine, run for a bit then start to choke up, then die - with a spout of white mist/smoke shooting up out of the carb.

Turned out that the carb mistreatment had sooted up the catalytic converter! Verified it by dropping the exhaust off the header - and it ran like a charm! I bet you've got something in the muffler restricting things - like a rat nest. I know it's a bitch to pull the muffler off the header (or it was for me) - but maybe you can just pull the header off the head and run for a short bit - or take the exhaust off and run water thru it to see if there's a plug.
If the new CDI/stator/regulator swap doesn't do it, it will have to come to this.

Thanks for the idea.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #14349
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
If the new CDI/stator/regulator swap doesn't do it, it will have to come to this.

Thanks for the idea.
Before you go changing more parts out take some time to trouble shot the electrical properly. This is a good place to start http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm

This chart isn't specifcally for the DR350, but the values will be similar on most bikes. You should be able to find the correct resistance values in the manual.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #14350
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,767
either you are incredibly strong or that bike has lower compression than my DR350

mine only kicks through that easily with the decomp lever pulled

not saying thats an issue or related, but just an observation.

also, take the splark plug boot, unscrew it from the coil rire, clip the coil wire back a bit to gain some new wire ( im betting the conductor inside the wire is crumbly and burnt)
and then rescrew the plug boot back onto the fresh piece of wire, thats what it sounds like to me.

Quote:

Here is a video of what it is doing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j0RVrEJl9Y

mouthfulloflake screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 06:58 AM
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #14351
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
either you are incredibly strong or that bike has lower compression than my DR350

mine only kicks through that easily with the decomp lever pulled

not saying thats an issue or related, but just an observation.

also, take the splark plug boot, unscrew it from the coil rire, clip the coil wire back a bit to gain some new wire ( im betting the conductor inside the wire is crumbly and burnt)
and then rescrew the plug boot back onto the fresh piece of wire, thats what it sounds like to me.
Could be my long legs... I'm 6'2" and the bike is pretty small for me. It's got a good amount of compression to it.

The new coil came with a new spark plug wire.

Hopefully the goodies tntmo is sending me will be in soon so I can plug 'n play a different cdi/reg/stator in to see if its electrical. He is being an outstanding individual and not charging me for parts until I can determine for sure what is malfunctioning.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #14352
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Could be my long legs... I'm 6'2" and the bike is pretty small for me. It's got a good amount of compression to it.

The new coil came with a new spark plug wire.

Hopefully the goodies tntmo is sending me will be in soon so I can plug 'n play a different cdi/reg/stator in to see if its electrical. He is being an outstanding individual and not charging me for parts until I can determine for sure what is malfunctioning.
Is yours an auto-decompression model? That may explain it (I don't know). Mine is manual decompression and I absolutely can't kick it like that unless I pull the decomp lever. (I'm 6' 3").

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #14353
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
If that doesn't work I'm going to have to haul it 3 hours to my buddy's shop in T or C, NM and see what he says.
I'm following your story closely, and wish I had something useful to add. Crossing my fingers for you. I did have to comment at the Truth or Consequences reference, though. I great up in Corrales, and went to school in Las Cruces. I REALLY miss NM (especially when I start looking at plated dirt bikes out here in California).

Good luck, and keep us posted, please.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #14354
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
Is yours an auto-decompression model? That may explain it (I don't know). Mine is manual decompression and I absolutely can't kick it like that unless I pull the decomp lever. (I'm 6' 3").

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Its a manual decomp. I haven't checked the cable or assembly for that, guess its worth a shot.

Although someone mentioned an obstructed exhaust which just got me thinking. Since the exhaust is pretty much sealed with this Supercrapp muffler, the only thing that can get in there is water...

And I did hose the bike off before I took this pic and the bike started acting funny the next day:

I doubt the water rusted the pipe or affected the exhaust, but possibly I soaked something electrical? I've rinsed the bike off before and ridden it in the rain and never had any issues, but may this last time I soaked something?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #14355
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
I'm following your story closely, and wish I had something useful to add. Crossing my fingers for you. I did have to comment at the Truth or Consequences reference, though. I great up in Corrales, and went to school in Las Cruces. I REALLY miss NM (especially when I start looking at plated dirt bikes out here in California).

Good luck, and keep us posted, please.
I moved down here in the 90's from the Rocky Mnt High of CO and hated it at first.
After a few years of offroading and being able to shoot 5 minutes from my house I grew to like the desert.

After my wife graduated college last month, we rented out our house in Cruces and moved out to her family's cattle ranch about 2 hours away (between Hachita and Columbus). I go coyote hunting every morning, can sight in my rifles from the back porch, and there are great trails to ride... if you have an operable bike.