Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #14596
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
Do you know why. I thought on most cases cushy drives are desirable. Even Dakar racers prefer them. I guess most DR.owners wanted more of a dirt oriented bike thus the dirt shock and cartridge fork. Is there really advantage to a cushy drive hub.
Not sure, I can't tell the difference when I ride either set except that the cush hub is heavier. The DRZ400 doesn't use a cush drive either.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #14597
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
Not sure, I can't tell the difference when I ride either set except that the cush hub is heavier. The DRZ400 doesn't use a cush drive either.
I thought that in theory the cush drive reduces stresses on engine and transmission parts, especially on the street.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #14598
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
DR350S Front Wheel Question?

My '96 DR350/441SET has a bent front rim I'd like to replace, I have two spares, one off of a '94 DR350SET and another that came off a DR350S made between 1990 and 1995? Does anyone know if either or both of the spares will fit my '96 and what the part numbers are for the wheel bearing/bearings? and seal/seals?

Jeff
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #14599
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
That's spare wheels by the way, not spare rims!

Jeff
P.M. me for copies of my 15 Michaux State Forest Dual Sport Routes; check the Trip Planning/Tent Space Sign-Up Thread/Page 33/Post #492/8-2011 for info on our "Motorcyclist Manor"; IT'S FREE!.
48 states, D.C., 5 provinces and Bermuda down; the rest of the world to go!
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #14600
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Hey Rugged,

Whats happening? Reading your stories and goings on made me feel good about my snapped off plug.
Mines at machine shop getting fixed.
New Husky yet?

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 AM   #14601
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

That's the theory, but Suzuki did away with them on the DR350 and on the DRZ400. The KLR650 uses cush drive, so does the DR650. I think the XR650L doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
I thought that in theory the cush drive reduces stresses on engine and transmission parts, especially on the street.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #14602
markk900
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hey Rugged,

Whats happening? Reading your stories and goings on made me feel good about my snapped off plug.
New Husky yet?

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic
+1 - I was going to ask but didn't want to interrupt the reloading.....
markk900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #14603
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
My '96 DR350/441SET has a bent front rim I'd like to replace, I have two spares, one off of a '94 DR350SET and another that came off a DR350S made between 1990 and 1995? Does anyone know if either or both of the spares will fit my '96 and what the part numbers are for the wheel bearing/bearings? and seal/seals?

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I think you might want to start by comparing the part numbers for each of the models you reference using the spare parts catalogs. These will also provide you the part numbers for the bearings and seals. FYI, I've been very pleased with the quality of the wheel bearing/seal kits from All Balls Racing (available directly through them or from many online stores). You can source the bearings and seals separately through a local supply house, too.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #14604
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntmo View Post
That's the theory, but Suzuki did away with them on the DR350 and on the DRZ400. The KLR650 uses cush drive, so does the DR650. I think the XR650L doesn't?
Hmmmm....my DR350 has a cush drive.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #14605
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hey Rugged,

New Husky yet?

Heirhead
Worlds worst mechanic
The bike is in 1.7 million pieces right now.

I've been building a work bench from scratch to take my mind off this god-forsaken bike. (yes those brackets are handmade from 1/4" steel and welded in the corners to prevent wobble)

Since I moved out here to the ranch in December I haven't had a workspace for my gunsmithing/reloading (my father-in-law's shop is pretty cramped as you can see in the pics) so I started building a bench from scratch to take my mind off this godforsaken DR. All I'm missing is the pegboard for the back, stain and sealant then I'll have my own work area for tinkering.

The Husky will be in on the 15th. I have the feeling once I can ride a dualsport again my nerves will be a little better. I've been on swing shift this month so I haven't had a chance to pop open a beer and calm my nerves to take another look at the DR. I do have a wire brush and some rtv for putting it back together. So maybe next week I can start reassembling the jug/head/cam/gremlin factory and still try to see what caused it to run so rich.

I've been going through dirt bike withdrawals... shakes, irritability, 1000yd stare, and I'm constantly dreaming of that Terra 650. At this point, I really couldn't give a rat's ass about the DR350 or whether it gets turned into a parts bike for Ebay. If it does, you guys have first dibs on the parts. I already have the new Acerbis tank off and my rack with the ammo cans removed.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #14606
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Let's see...I just removed my indicator bulb and my signals still wont work. I don't need to connect the wires going to the bulb do I??
Don't think you need to connect the wires. You might have a bad flasher or connection somewhere. Check the connections on the LEDs. They have to be +to power and - to ground. What's funny is, I went out last night to check mine to see if I could see any glow from the left signal (bulb type clearance lights) when the right one was on. No glow, but what's weird is the indicator doesn't work unless the motor's running.

This one looks pretty close (except for wire colors). Probably don't need the resistor on the indicator if you aren't using an LED.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Led+t...ml%3B821%3B390
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #14607
tonusmaximus
maximus

Oddometer: 441
i hope rugged ex gets the bike back together but if it goes to parts dibs on tanks rack and ammo boxes!
tonusmaximus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #14608
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Hmmmm....my DR350 has a cush drive.

Yes, they did from 90-96 on the street legal models. This was covered earlier, 97-99 SE models do not have cush drive.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #14609
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post

Jeff
If you have the spares there, you can just test fit them to your bike. Should take less than 10 minutes to swap a front wheel. They should fit on there just fine.
MrPulldown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #14610
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,694
That's a nice bench!