Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #14641
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailraat View Post
Tire size:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the stock tire sizes are virtually impossible to find these days it seems. I am wondering is a 90/90 - 21 equivalent to the 100/80 - 21? And for the rear, is a 120/80 -18 equivalent to the 110/90 - 18? I am looking at the Michelin t63 and those seem to be the only tire sizes that come close to matching. I would be tempted to try the 130/80 - 18 even to get a little more height if it would fit. Any thoughts would be welcome
A 90/90 has a sidewall 90% of 90mm, or 81mm.
A 100/80 has a sidewall that's 80% of 100mm, or 80mm.
Can't ask for much closer than that.

110/90 would be 99mm.
120/80 would be 96mm.
130/80 would be 104mm.
Pretty close either way.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #14642
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hey All,

First post, excited to be here!!

I'm going to look at a 1991 DR350s over the weekend, but first I'm hoping for a bit of advice on what to ask about and if the price is right. Here's the seller's post:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3570442671.html

His asking price is $975, is this fair? NADA shows 'excellent' condition to be $1000 and 'good' at $775 so I'm inclined to think an $800 ballpark is reasonable.

Any input on what I should ask about, what I should be aware of during a test ride that's specific to these bikes?

I've only ridden sport bikes to date, but I'm really drawn to adventure riding - there are lots of great trails around my area. My sis also lives in Crested Butte, so fun weekend trips are in my future. AND the Continental Divide Trail is on my list. I'm drawn to these older 4-stroke thumpers because of reliability (is this assumption accurate?) and environmental impact (emissions being better than a 2-stroke). As a rider who's new to trail bikes, but used to big, torquey machines (I ride an FZR1000), do you think this is a good choice? I do want something street legal so I can ride to nearby trails as opposed to loading it up for a 10-min drive.

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like you're on the right track with the DR. Most of us really like their DRs. If you like it and it suits ya, and he can show you that it starts easy (some kick start models start a little hard), then buy it, Although it is an early model and the newer "98/"99s have up grades that are desirable + e-start is nice at altitude. If you are the bigger type and comfortable with a little more size the DR650 is also a good choice.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #14643
NWRambler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Steering stem compatibility question

Hi Folks, first post here. I've ridden street bikes for 30 something years and have been an aggressive mountain biker for almost as long. Finally decided they must go great together. So, I bought a kind of beat, cheap 98 DR350SE a couple of weeks ago, rode it a few miles and liked it so much that I promptly stripped it to the frame for powder coating, sent the leaking rear shock to Jesse and have spent my evenings cleaning, checking, shopping and learning from all of you. Y'all have built quite a database here. Thank you for getting me this far without even posting a question, til now.

The front rotor was very thin and cupped like a dinner plate. Laying the center on the bench, the edges are 6mm off the bench. Long story short, the triple clamps show some twist, putting the caliper out of alignment with the wheel, I think. The front of the bike shows that it was crashed hard, busted headlight, busted lever, new bars and mirrors, smashed speedo (thanks TNTMO for the replacement), etc. The fork tubes are straight, but the clamps have them offset at the axle by a good inch or more.

So, the question is: will the triple clamps from any other years, dirt or S/SE, fit on this bike and fork tubes? The exact part # is only for 97-99 SE, but is that really all there is? Didn't earlier dirt models use the larger tubes of the later street models? I don't care about the steering lock. Anybody got some straight triple clamps they want to sell? I'm also looking for a drive sprocket cover. Thanks everyone for the wealth of info that's on this site. -Dan
NWRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #14644
tntmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
You're welcome! I have triple clamps from a 91 DR350S. They should be the same, all years used the same diameter forks. I can send you a picture to see if they look the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRambler View Post
smashed speedo (thanks TNTMO for the replacement), etc. The fork tubes are straight, but the clamps have them offset at the axle by a good inch or more.

So, the question is: will the triple clamps from any other years, dirt or S/SE, fit on this bike and fork tubes? The exact part # is only for 97-99 SE, but is that really all there is? Didn't earlier dirt models use the larger tubes of the later street models? I don't care about the steering lock. Anybody got some straight triple clamps they want to sell? I'm also looking for a drive sprocket cover. Thanks everyone for the wealth of info that's on this site. -Dan
Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #14645
nvr2old
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Yoshimura exhaust.

For sale in the Flea Market if any one is interested. For a 350. Don't know if it fits a 250.
nvr2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #14646
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Hey All,

First post, excited to be here!!

I'm going to look at a 1991 DR350s over the weekend, but first I'm hoping for a bit of advice on what to ask about and if the price is right. Here's the seller's post:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3570442671.html

His asking price is $975, is this fair? NADA shows 'excellent' condition to be $1000 and 'good' at $775 so I'm inclined to think an $800 ballpark is reasonable.

Any input on what I should ask about, what I should be aware of during a test ride that's specific to these bikes?

I've only ridden sport bikes to date, but I'm really drawn to adventure riding - there are lots of great trails around my area. My sis also lives in Crested Butte, so fun weekend trips are in my future. AND the Continental Divide Trail is on my list. I'm drawn to these older 4-stroke thumpers because of reliability (is this assumption accurate?) and environmental impact (emissions being better than a 2-stroke). As a rider who's new to trail bikes, but used to big, torquey machines (I ride an FZR1000), do you think this is a good choice? I do want something street legal so I can ride to nearby trails as opposed to loading it up for a 10-min drive.

Thanks in advance!
$975 is a very good price in Colorado. Most DR350's will bring $1500.00 if they're functional. Being a dirt model might lower the value a bit, but it does appear there are some extras on the bike too.

In my opinion, the DR350 is a minimalist approach to riding. Super simple, reliable, easy to work on, will handle anything from single-track to 70mph highway.

Buy it!
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #14647
trailraat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I too have a '92 DR350S. I have been running 130/80-18 and 90/90-21 T63 for over a year now w/o problems.

TuBliss, too!
Thanks Wadester, I was wondering if you had any input on if the T63 works reasonably in mud and wears reasonably on the street?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #14648
mwilliamshs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Read my mind1

Quote:
Thanks Wadester, I was wondering if you had any input on if the T63 works reasonably in mud and wears reasonably on the street?

This month's Dirt Rider has good article about lots of DOT tires but the Michelin is not mentioned. I was disappointed. RedDirtJoe included a T63 in the purchase of my DR350SEX but I haven't tried it on yet.

mwilliamshs screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 03:42 PM Reason: adddional thinking
mwilliamshs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #14649
trippda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Question Enduro 3 Sahara

Has anyone tried the Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara tire on the DR350? I have a '96 se.

I have read reports that they handle pretty darn well on everything but mud on some of the bigger dual sport bikes. They supposedly also last a long time. I know they are really expensive, but I don't think I would mind if they last 5000+ miles like some people claim.

Just interested if anyone has tried them on the littler DR and can report on performance/tread life/anything cooool

-
trippda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #14650
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Tire size:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but the stock tire sizes are virtually impossible to find these days it seems. I am wondering is a 90/90 - 21 equivalent to the 100/80 - 21? And for the rear, is a 120/80 -18 equivalent to the 110/90 - 18? I am looking at the Michelin t63 and those seem to be the only tire sizes that come close to matching. I would be tempted to try the 130/80 - 18 even to get a little more height if it would fit. Any thoughts would be welcome
We put the stock size on the rear of Skowinski-wife's DR350, and it's very narrow, looks way too small. Going to replace it with the next larger size.

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #14651
Cuse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I just bought a 1999 DR350 and was wondering about headlight assembly options. The one on it destroyed. Can anyone here offer up best options and where to purchase? I would like something more "expressive" than the original. Thanks for any assistance.
It definitely needs some tlc
Cuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #14652
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, Myself, and I View Post
I just bought a 1999 DR350 and was wondering about headlight assembly options. The one on it destroyed. Can anyone here offer up best options and where to purchase? I would like something more "expressive" than the original. Thanks for any assistance.
I'm planning on going with one of these:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766161

Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #14653
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
I just bought a 1999 DR350 and was wondering about headlight assembly options. The one on it destroyed. Can anyone here offer up best options and where to purchase? I would like something more "expressive" than the original. Thanks for any assistance. It definitely needs some tlc
I like the TrailTech lights,

TrailTech X2

TrailTech 8in Race Light

They are not all DOT if that is important to you.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #14654
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
$975 is a very good price in Colorado. Most DR350's will bring $1500.00 if they're functional. Being a dirt model might lower the value a bit, but it does appear there are some extras on the bike too.

In my opinion, the DR350 is a minimalist approach to riding. Super simple, reliable, easy to work on, will handle anything from single-track to 70mph highway.

Buy it!
Thanks for your input and advice, and to everyone else that helped me out. I grabbed the bike today. The tires are brand new (they still have the striping and the rubber hairs), supertrap exhaust, new fork seals, and a bit more. Its a good bike as far as I can tell. Hopefully the weatherman is wrong about the chilly temps tomorrow. I wanna get out there.

Thanks again.
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #14655
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
It definitely needs some tlc
I like my Trailtech 8"

What is that electronics cooler in front of your airbox and below the CDI?
Is that the regulator? It looks nothing like the one on my bike, nor is it in the correct area... Are all the '91 models like this?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is online now   Reply With Quote