Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #1456
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,806
Santa left me one of these...

A mostly unmolested commuter bike.

Now I need the snow to go away.

I'm slowly making my way thru this thread. Haven't seen anything on elect gear yet. Can I run my elect jacket and/or grips? How many watts?

Is it spring yet?
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #1457
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I'm slowly making my way thru this thread. Haven't seen anything on elect gear yet. Can I run my elect jacket and/or grips? How many watts?

Hey

I have never run an electric vest but do run heated grips as well as a gps via a 12 volt adapter I wired into teh bike. Check the link below for details(about half way down the page)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=313466&page=2

John
Old 12-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #1458
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tathambenjamin
Hey guys, I have seen some conflicting information on used pricing sites and bike resources regarding the weight of the DR350 and the DR650 (the street legal version of both).....

Does anyone know the weight difference between the two? In the same vein....do they have the same size wheel base, same frame, swing arm?
Thanks
-Ben
I have one of each. In ready to ride form the 650 weighs about 365 and the 350 weighs about 300.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #1459
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I run a heated vest and grips on the DR250SE and it has no problems at all with that.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #1460
thetourist
Just passing thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I run a heated vest and grips on the DR250SE and it has no problems at all with that.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered some grip heaters. I'm getting old and soft. Heat is nice on these old bones.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #1461
83rtrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Just picked up a 97 dr350 4000 miles in great condition . I traded a 81 kawasaki csr1000 for it . I had a $1000 in that bike .
Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #1462
thetourist
Just passing thru

Next question. I plan on getting a bigger tank. The Acerbis seems to get high praise, but saw that someone put an XR BIG tank on a DR.

Anyway, Wolfman has a sale on and I need more luggage space. The question...Has anyone used tank panniers with a big tank and how did they work? Do things get too wide?

I'm thinking of not using a tank bag.

My plan is to use a couple of side bags on rear. A duffel for sleeping stuff on top. Tools in a fabricated box on front of skid. Tank Panniers for water and misc. A small box/bag on handlbar for my camera. Fender bag for tubes.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #1463
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Going without a tank bag sounds like a good plan. Imho there isn't room on the DR350 or most any dual sport thumpers for a tank bag. There isn't much room for tank panniers either but that would be better than a top mounted tank bag. I haven't tried panniers on the tank but judging by where my knees tend to clear the dirt off the tank, there is very little tank area I don't squeeze/rub with my legs. I think it depends a lot on how you plan to ride. I ride the DR like a dirt bike and move around on the bike a lot - tank mounted luggage just wouldn't work well for me. If you sit in one, somewhat rearward place on the seat it should work out ok I'd think. With the Acerbis tank you get a bit more forward room on the tank which would help a lot as compared to a stock tank or most aftermarket options in regard to providing space for panniers, but its still not a lot of room.

The acerbis tank is the best option of the tanks made for the DR. I'm much too busy/lazy to go to the trouble of fitting a tank that doesn't fit and 4.25 gallons is good for 200+ mile range which is more than sufficient for my purposes. I also have seen the pictures of a 6.6 gal Acerbis tank intended to fit an XR600R mounted to a DR350. Seems a great option if you need that much fuel and have time to make it work. I suspect you may have to use some sort of fuel pump to be able to make use of all that fuel but don't know for sure.

Turbocity makes a rack for rear side bags and top bag which would probably work well for you. Side bags without a rack will be difficult as there's not much to hold them out off the silencer or out of the rear wheel.

good luck and have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 01-03-2009 at 02:39 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #1464
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Hey tourist, I am not really answering any of your questions but maybe some food for thought...

I have a wolfman enduro tank bag, and dirt-bike-gear.com front fender bag and rear tool bag. I like them all.
The tankbag is great for the day trips I take, plenty of room for the cell phone, camera, paper maps(folded) etc. I am not sure how I would feel about using it on a long trip as it is quite small. But there is not a lot of room on these small bikes for a full size tank bag. If the tank bag is any indication and I am sure that it is, it will outlast anyone bike that I own. Top quality product, I am sure any product you may buy from wolfman will be the same.

The front fender bag by dirt-bike-gear.com is great, I like the way it mounts, around the fork tubes. No worries about it falling off. The thing I don't like about it, is the fact that it will hold a tire tube and patches but not much else. I think if/when I start to do muliti day trips I will add a second front fender bag or a headlight/cowling bag to hold a second tube/tools.

The rear tool bag, again by dirt-bike-gear.com is a perfect setup for me. The bag itself bolts directly to the rear fender and has a removable inner liner that holds all my tools. It is deceptively large, with plenty of room for all the tools I need for a single day trip. Not sure if it would be big enough for any long distance traveling as I haven't done any but with that said, it will hold all the tools I need to do anything short of pulling the engine apart. Like the wolfman it is a top quality product.

Last but not least I always ride with a camelbak. Partly for the fluids but also my tire irons and manual pump fit perfectly inside of it. Some will say tools in a back pack is asking for trouble, I tend to disagree.

John

Old 01-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #1465
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
I run tank panniers instead of a tankbag. Gives more room to move over rough terrain. These are pictures of sidewind ATV tank panniers over a 4.25 US Gallon Clarke tank.

zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #1466
Spat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Not much room for a tank bag i'd agree. a few post up I see a pic of a DR350 with dirtbagz rails. Post up and show the bike with the bagz on and how you like 'm. You might see they fit the DR350 well IMO.

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #1467
thetourist
Just passing thru

Perfect... Thanks Zaner. It looks like plenty of room for the tank panniers and my knees.

johnyandjebus...I have Wolfman tankbag on my big bike, good stuff. I also have one of those tool bags with the velcro back. A nice little bag that may find its way to the DR.

Wolfan has some tankbag side bags that can be purchase seperately. I may try to do something with them on my handlebar.

I'm still figuring it all out. I'm going to try some expedition type touring on this thing. Maybe TAT. Anyway I ultimately want to carry enough gear to live off the bike for awhile.

I carry about 100lbs on the TA. I'm going to pare it down to a loade bike at 250 lbs. So 70-80 lbs of gear. 60lbs would be better, but I'm old and need some comfort. Maybe I can cut down on my tools, which I overdue.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #1468
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
rear cargo

Hi Tourist...

I'd like to say that I was amazed at the touring capabilities of the DR350 while keeping in mind that it's a 350 and not a 650. The thing will go 60 MPH no problem.

For the couple of weekend runs I did last summer, I made up a rear cargo rack with a piece of painted plywood to hold a MotoPak roll bag.

I just clamped it onto the rack with a couple of hose clamps. Redneck engineering that worked great.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #1469
Anders288
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
New Owner

Hi All,
I just bought a 1990 DR350S. I want to do some off road touring.
I have been looking on ebay for a stock muffler and haven't found
one. Does anyone one have one sitting around they would sell?

Thanks
Anders
Anders288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:39 PM   #1470
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,296
The Dirt Bags work great but you have to weld a couple of small tags to the frame on the dirt model where the passenger pegs would be on the s model.

I did a lot of hard trails with this setup and it was faultless.

07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote