Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM   #1471
pterry
Desert rider

Oddometer: 602
Question exaust mod on stock 92' dr350 pipe?

I need some advise for a friend with a 92' dr350. He bought it from a friend and said they did a lot of mods except for the exaust. He said it feels like it wants to breathe but can't. My question is if there are any mods that can be done to a stock muffler/pipe? Buy aftermarket pipe? Brand?
pterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #1472
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
pterry

I did the jesse style exhaust mod, basicly removing the end cap on the stock muffler and replacing it with a larger one. Jesse at
http://www.kientech.com/
can do it for you if you don't have access to a welder. Not sure how much it helped as I did it at the same time I did the airbox/re-jetting and dropped a tooth on the front sproket. Combined all of the mods made a difference I just can't say how much of an improvement I got out of the muffler mod, it stands to reason that it helps the bike breathe better.
For pics go here, about half way down the page.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...00#post7760600

John
Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #1473
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,676
I'm not sure how much you really get out of DR350 exhaust mods. I seem to recall the guys on maximumsuzuki.com feeling like aftermarket pipes were not significantly better than the stock (except way lighter, of course).

I had a full Cobra pipe on my 94 and it was so frigging loud I swapped it for a stock pipe, and had Jesse mod it. I cannot tell any difference in seat-of-the-pants power between the two (in fact, I think the Jesse pipe runs better). of course, there's been lots of messing about with carb in the interim.

My bike is jetted and airbox cut-out as per Jesse's instructions, his modded pipe, stock gearing, and it runs _great_. It doesn't have a whole lot of top end, and in fact I think the MJ may be a little rich - I'm going to drop it to 137.5 from 140 and give that a go.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #1474
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Even the weight difference isn't huge with aftermarket exhaust. I don't have a scale but I'd be really surprised if its more than about 2lbs (I have held an FMF Q in one hand and stock in the other, the FMF is lighter but its not even close to the 11lbs some places claim).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #1475
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

I'm not sure how much you really get out of DR350 exhaust mods. I seem to recall the guys on maximumsuzuki.com feeling like aftermarket pipes were not significantly better than the stock (except way lighter, of course).

I've read and suspect the same and would love to see some dyno tests to confirm this.
Call me shallow but one of the things I like about my exhaust mod is the sound. A more meaty dirt bike sound without coming close to the 94 db cut off.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #1476
Two Hawks
Old School

Oddometer: 43
Weld Grind

What is a "weld grind" as it pertains to the header pipe on a DR350. How is it done and can it be done on a stock exhaust system? Pics?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #1477
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus

I've read and suspect the same and would love to see some dyno tests to confirm this.
Call me shallow but one of the things I like about my exhaust mod is the sound. A more meaty dirt bike sound without coming close to the 94 db cut off.
I totally agree. My Jesse modded exhaust sounds fantastic. Much better than stock or aftermarket. It's just the right balance of throaty/aggressive, but not irritating.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #1478
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider75
I totally agree. My Jesse modded exhaust sounds fantastic. Much better than stock or aftermarket. It's just the right balance of throaty/aggressive, but not irritating.

dc
I just put the Jesse modded muffler on mine today. It seems perfect.

I have a basic question. I've never owned a dry-sump motorcycle before...how do you check the oil?

I pulled the dipstick after running it for a few minutes to listen to the new muffler. It was dry, and I added over a half a quart to bring it up to full. I know less than 100 miles ago it was full. It's not making blue smoke or anything.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #1479
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Between the dry sump and no oil glass checking the oil on my dr350 is hit and miss at the best of times. I normally put the bike on level ground and run the engine for 3-5 minutes. Then turn it off and let it sit for 1 minute. I then check the dip-stick. The above procedure comes from my manual. To be honest with you, I rarely check the oil this way to confirm accurate levels but rather to get a rough estimate of how much oil I have in the engine.
I have had my dr350 long enough that I know how much it burns and when to add oil. I would rather have 200cc's not enough than 200 cc's too much. The only truly accurate way I can check the oil is to leave the filter in and drain the oil into a measuring cup. Full is 1700 cc's, 1900 if the oil filter is out.
This is something I do every 2 weeks during the height of the riding season. I tend to replace my oil at 800-1000 km's and find that I am down by about 200-300cc's at each oil change. If I have reached the 1000 km mark and don't have time to change the oil I just add 200cc's to get me thru until the oil is changed.
It can be a bid tedious to measure oil levels by draining the oil but I found by doing so I quickly learned how much oil my bike is burning and under what conditions oil consumption is greater.
A bit over kill perhaps but the bike has such as great rep for being reliable as a rock so low oil level is the only way, in my mind, to really mess things up. Better safe than sorry I guess.
John
Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #1480
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,711
be very careful not to overfill...

unless you're intersted in building a DR400
z@ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #1481
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:

Have you had it tested to confirm the Db level? I know that my own perception of too loud is way different than a properly administered test.

I guess is there anyone that has had the Jesse modded exhaust tested?
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #1482
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

No tests but with that said my brother inlaw's ktm with stock exhuast was rated to be be at or under 94 db's(can't remember which) and I can say for certain that my modded exhaust was muched quieter.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #1483
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Between the dry sump and no oil glass checking the oil on my dr350 is hit and miss at the best of times. I normally put the bike on level ground and run the engine for 3-5 minutes. Then turn it off and let it sit for 1 minute. I then check the dip-stick. The above procedure comes from my manual. To be honest with you, I rarely check the oil this way to confirm accurate levels but rather to get a rough estimate of how much oil I have in the engine.
I have had my dr350 long enough that I know how much it burns and when to add oil. I would rather have 200cc's not enough than 200 cc's too much. The only truly accurate way I can check the oil is to leave the filter in and drain the oil into a measuring cup. Full is 1700 cc's, 1900 if the oil filter is out.
This is something I do every 2 weeks during the height of the riding season. I tend to replace my oil at 800-1000 km's and find that I am down by about 200-300cc's at each oil change. If I have reached the 1000 km mark and don't have time to change the oil I just add 200cc's to get me thru until the oil is changed.
It can be a bid tedious to measure oil levels by draining the oil but I found by doing so I quickly learned how much oil my bike is burning and under what conditions oil consumption is greater.
A bit over kill perhaps but the bike has such as great rep for being reliable as a rock so low oil level is the only way, in my mind, to really mess things up. Better safe than sorry I guess.
John
Thanks for the advice. I'm just confused with a system where the oil slowly drains from the tank.

windigo
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #1484
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadsv03
be very careful not to overfill...

unless you're intersted in building a DR400
It's got the 435 cc overbore kit.

windigo
Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 AM   #1485
theinvisiblecity
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Dr350

Hi all, I'm going to look at a 1999 DR350 later this week. It has the big bore kit - so I'm wondering if there is anything specific I should look for, or anything that would be evidence of a hack job. It looks to be in very good shape - at least cosmetically.

Thanks,
Mike
theinvisiblecity is offline   Reply With Quote