Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #14956
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
First response. Buying 5 will get the cost to $416 and then $90 for air mail. I think if we had a decent group we could work out a decent deal. Once they get here it is $5.00 shipping box, correct?
I'd go for a set - especially if the "per unit" price keeps dropping. This deal is $102/ea.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #14957
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneInDenver View Post
hard to find neutral and it will randomly want to pop out of gear. This has only happened maybe 1 or 2 times. I am thinking I should first check the shift drum bolt first and make sure it is tight, sound loose to me.

Next, when ridding up a large incline for a few minutes its as if the bike runs out of fuel and dies. Quite scary for me, luckily there were no cars behind me. This one I am a bit unsure on, since the bike seems to run well on flat surfaces. My first thought is to replace the petcock?

Popping out of gear I am not sure, is it 2nd? Freinds dr does that too. It was not the shift drum bolt for him, but they are known to be lose. Can't find neutral is common. Most likey the thrust washers needs replacing. Some need to have little taken off the back of the clutch basket, some find that adding a small shim works too.

The Dirt doesn't have a vac petcock and are pretty robust. You can test the petcock by running it into a bottle wtih the bike on a incline. The dirt need a "T" vent mod so don't bother chasing that aspect. Assume it was full of gas. Sounds like a float height issue. But beware that is the road that lead rugged E down the path to hell. Maybe jsut start with a good carb cleaning.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #14958
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I'd go for a set - especially if the "per unit" price keeps dropping. This deal is $102/ea.
Never understood why frame guards are so desireable? A little worn paint?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #14959
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
.. I thought I was the only one. I don't get it. .... But, whatever floats your boat.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #14960
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
How 'bout completely gone paint? Rusty metal instead, that keeps on wearing down. Not absolutely horrible, but:

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #14961
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
How 'bout completely gone paint? Rusty metal instead, that keeps on wearing down. Not absolutely horrible, but:
If it's that important to you, why not just make some. Guess I should be a little more constructive here. Weld up some tubing the size and shape of the frame....get some 1 or 2 mm HDPE....use a heat gun or put it in the oven and pretty soon you've got some. Or get some thin sheet AL from the home improvement store (mobil home skirting should work) cut some strips and wrap them around the frame. It can't be that hard.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #14962
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
If it's that important to you, why not just make some. Guess I should be a little more constructive here. Weld up some tubing the size and shape of the frame....get some 1 or 2 mm HDPE....use a heat gun or put it in the oven and pretty soon you've got some. Or get some thin sheet AL from the home improvement store (mobil home skirting should work) cut some strips and wrap them around the frame. It can't be that hard.
I will already be making my own case savers out of aluminum. If I cant find frame guards cheap enough I will be making my own. Either aluminum or I will buy some thick plastic, heat it up and mold it into what I want.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #14963
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

just wrap it up in electrical tape

the frame that is...
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #14964
jakeybob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Does anyone know where to find a case saver for the DR350?

The chain came apart on the previous owner of mine, snapped the upper mount off the case by the sprocket, but there's a few threads left, enough I think I can get it to hold a bolt anyway.

Anyhow it didn't come with a case saver, and I've been looking around for a replacement that I can rig up but have had no luck thus far.
jakeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #14965
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybob View Post
Does anyone know where to find a case saver for the DR350?

The chain came apart on the previous owner of mine, snapped the upper mount off the case by the sprocket, but there's a few threads left, enough I think I can get it to hold a bolt anyway.

Anyhow it didn't come with a case saver, and I've been looking around for a replacement that I can rig up but have had no luck thus far.

Bikebandit lists OEM:
#31-1: PLATE COMP,FRON

BikeBandit PN: 1065301
$34.42 (this is for a '92)

Listed in "Engine, Crankcase Cover"

Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #14966
rallyman1978
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Speedo drive

My speedo drive has started squeaking like a bastard, to the point people are turning round to see what the noise is coming from... Riding home from work the other night my colleague nearly fell off his fazer thou cos he was laughing so hard at the noise
I've tried spraying lube spray round it but no joy. I guess it's a sealed unit and I can't do anything other than buy a new one at nearly 100 quid sterling or is there a trick I'm missing

Please help! I can't cope with the noise anymore... Weeee-ah-weeeee-ah-weeeee-ah-weeeee-ah

Rich
Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #14967
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 606
Have a quirk with my 96 DRSE, when I turn my ignition off the bike keeps running, the lights go out and the bike won't stop until I turn it off from the kill switch. I thought it was ok to ride like that off road, but I burnt up a cdi unit a few months ago and now I want to fix this problem.

Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #14968
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1978 View Post
My speedo drive has started squeaking like a bastard, to the point people are turning round to see what the noise is coming from... Riding home from work the other night my colleague nearly fell off his fazer thou cos he was laughing so hard at the noise
I've tried spraying lube spray round it but no joy. I guess it's a sealed unit and I can't do anything other than buy a new one at nearly 100 quid sterling or is there a trick I'm missing

Please help! I can't cope with the noise anymore... Weeee-ah-weeeee-ah-weeeee-ah-weeeee-ah

Rich
When I resurrected my '92 a couple years back, the speedo drive was not lubricated - more like gummed. Ran some brake cleaner thru it, then mashed as much good grease in via the internal gaps as I could. Also took the core out of the cable housing and cleaned/greased that. Works fine - no noise or needle wiggle.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #14969
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1978 View Post

Rich
It's not a sealed unit. Remove it and lube it from the wheel side.

Jim Randall
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #14970
thump!
Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan View Post
Have a quirk with my 96 DRSE, when I turn my ignition off the bike keeps running, the lights go out and the bike won't stop until I turn it off from the kill switch. I thought it was ok to ride like that off road, but I burnt up a cdi unit a few months ago and now I want to fix this problem.

Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
The ignition switch on your bike does exactly the same thing as the kill switch. When it is in the OFF or locked position it simply grounds the CDI. Most likely the lead from the CDI or the ground lead from the switch is unplugged. I don't have a wiring diagram handy but it will be obvious if you look at one. I do recall the ground lead from the ignition switch is a separate single wire that plugs to the Suzuki standard black with white stripe ground circuit.
thump! is offline   Reply With Quote