User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #1501
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,285
The SEMA JK crew cab was more production ready IMO.
If they built it I could see replacing my 09 Wrangler.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1502
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
I agree, the FC is exceedingly unlikely to be produced.

There are some concepts that come to life, however. The 4 door wrangler started life at shows as a concept, with much debate over whether it would ever be made. And here it is.
I could maybe see the J12 offered as a kit BUT it would be expensive. Love the chrome bumpers and steel wheels.

If you're going back to the first 4dr concept Wrangler, then that would probably be the Dakar Concept. I think that was the first. I still wish they made that. I loved the metal roof and rear door. Jeep had always made long framed Wranglers for export though. There was a YJ version that was sold in South America as well as the Israeli and Saudi militaries versions. The TJ Unlimited as a simple change as they were all built in the US. With the JK being larger then the TJ, it just made sense to make it 4dr for the US market. No more having to climb over the front seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
The SEMA JK crew cab was more production ready IMO.
If they built it I could see replacing my 09 Wrangler.
That was AEV not Mopar Skunkworks. Before AEV was known for the BRUTE and other stuff, they were a small company in MI who stretched YJ's and then TJ's to make 4dr version. Now they're more of a manufacturer then a shop.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #1503
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
I think by concept, they just mean that they are at least thinking about making it...

An answer to the demand for such a vehicle, yet to be determined whether they will 'supply' the demand.
I don't know why they are calling it a "concept" since typically that word is reserved for things you can't buy (at least not yet!). You can go buy that yellow Jeep direct from AEV right now. They'll procure you a new JK if you want and do everything they list to it and deliver it. The FC is a concept in that nobody is readily taking orders for one.

I think in this case it's more to just show off the AEV stuff as part of Mopar's ongoing partnership with them. There's just no way on this earth you're going to see Jeep offer a 6.4L Hemi in a JK.

--Donnie
Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #1504
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
I don't know why they are calling it a "concept" since typically that word is reserved for things you can't buy (at least not yet!). You can go buy that yellow Jeep direct from AEV right now. They'll procure you a new JK if you want and do everything they list to it and deliver it. The FC is a concept in that nobody is readily taking orders for one.

I think in this case it's more to just show off the AEV stuff as part of Mopar's ongoing partnership with them. There's just no way on this earth you're going to see Jeep offer a 6.4L Hemi in a JK.

--Donnie
Wouldn't be anything to stop Chrysler from getting further in bed with them, let dealers get in on the action.

Ford and Chevy have been doing that since the 60's, getting in bed with aftermarket and letting the dealer base get a taste.

Chrysler is still hind tit to the other 2/3 of the Big 3, so it wouldn't be shocking to think that they are looking for ways to incite more 'passion' in the brand. A few Hemi JK's sitting around on lots could draw folks in, and the fact they wouldn't be final assembled by Jeep wouldn't matter one bit.

Sort of like the old days, when Chevy was the first to admit they never made a nickel on the Corvette program. But the fact they had it in the line-up, sure helped them sell a shit-ton of Camaros.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #1505
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
That was AEV not Mopar Skunkworks. Before AEV was known for the BRUTE and other stuff, they were a small company in MI who stretched YJ's and then TJ's to make 4dr version. Now they're more of a manufacturer then a shop.
AEV is from Montana not Michigan. Only recently did they set up a shop in Michigan as part of the cooperation with Jeep to build concept vehicles and the Brute, J8, and other bits. AEV will build you your Hemi or diesel powered Jeep but it will cost you.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #1506
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
AEV is from Montana not Michigan. Only recently did they set up a shop in Michigan as part of the cooperation with Jeep to build concept vehicles and the Brute, J8, and other bits. AEV will build you your Hemi or diesel powered Jeep but it will cost you.
Actually, they won't build you a diesel powered Jeep. They were going to with the J8, but Chrysler killed that.

--Donnie
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #1507
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
May be 205. 4WHEEL DRIVE magazine May 2012 page 44. "Diesel Bruiser Conversions is swapping Cummins diesels into not only CJ, YJ, and TJ Jeeps, but has perfected the JK Wrangler swap, as well"... "Jeff's Jeep Yard in Florida, River Raider Off Road in Pennsylvania, and Trail Jeeps in Colorado are performing the Diesel Bruiser conversions.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #1508
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
May be 205. 4WHEEL DRIVE magazine May 2012 page 44. "Diesel Bruiser Conversions is swapping Cummins diesels into not only CJ, YJ, and TJ Jeeps, but has perfected the JK Wrangler swap, as well"... "Jeff's Jeep Yard in Florida, River Raider Off Road in Pennsylvania, and Trail Jeeps in Colorado are performing the Diesel Bruiser conversions.
Only problem is that they're using the 4BT which isn't DOT/EPA legal. Although there is a blurb in the FAQ that seems to suggest they're trying to legalize them. Looks like they do a nice job and 10 days is pretty fast for a drivetrain swap. The only real downside to the 4BT is the weight though.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #1509
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,807
Quote:
Only problem is that they're using the 4BT which isn't DOT/EPA legal. Although there is a blurb in the FAQ that seems to suggest they're trying to legalize them. Looks like they do a nice job and 10 days is pretty fast for a drivetrain swap. The only real downside to the 4BT is the weight though.
I have always wondered about that, so what if I did swap in a Diesel what good would it be if I couldn't register it.

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #1510
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
I have always wondered about that, so what if I did swap in a Diesel what good would it be if I couldn't register it.
A lot of people do the swap in their trailered toys. Many states/counties don't do any sort of engine inspection (visual or emission) so in those cases as long as you don't get caught you're OK. If you do get caught then they will most likely send you to a state DOT inspection station where they will check EVERYTHING. Also on your DMV file it should also state Gas/Diesel. Oh and if you dont' pass and you need to then then SOL. I've seen many engine swaps on imports that aren't legal and you eventually find the cars on craigslist as parts cars because they don't pass.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #1511
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,371
Quote:
A lot of people do the swap in their trailered toys. Many states/counties don't do any sort of engine inspection (visual or emission) so in those cases as long as you don't get caught you're OK. If you do get caught then they will most likely send you to a state DOT inspection station where they will check EVERYTHING. Also on your DMV file it should also state Gas/Diesel. Oh and if you dont' pass and you need to then then SOL. I've seen many engine swaps on imports that aren't legal and you eventually find the cars on craigslist as parts cars because they don't pass.
Well you have CARB and that takes things to a whole 'nother level. BUT even in CA swaps are quite feasible, you just have to go to the "Referee" and you got approval for your swap.

In some states swaps are not big deal at all, others states you may need to just prove that the engine you swapped in, was available in the same model year as you car you're swapping the engine into. I imagine in the states with regs a 4BT swap would be pretty hard to get approved.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #1512
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Well you have CARB and that takes things to a whole 'nother level. BUT even in CA swaps are quite feasible, you just have to go to the "Referee" and you got approval for your swap.

In some states swaps are not big deal at all, others states you may need to just prove that the engine you swapped in, was available in the same model year as you car you're swapping the engine into. I imagine in the states with regs a 4BT swap would be pretty hard to get approved.
In MN we have no emissions testing or vehicle inspections if it can be registered as a production vehicle. Engine swaps are little worry here.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #1513
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post

Technically, it's a federal law that all vehicles sold in the US comply with DOT/EPA (not CARB) rules. States have similar laws as well which is how they can stop the sales of certain vehicle if they feel the need. IIRC, there are a few different state emission packages. But even in CA, if you have a pre-76 you can get away with just about anything as they are not emission tested. Also, any new car does not have to be emission tested for 6 years. Even if the state doesn't have an inspection, a LEO could cite you or worse impound your car. Overzealous LEO's were doing this outside of Moab a few years back. CHP was also doing this around Riverside for a while, too. SEMA fought against it when they were going after hot rods in CA a few years ago though. More recently, states are using this to crack down on illegal street racing.

But yes, many states can do swaps. The real question is do you want to add +700lbs to the front of your Jeep?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #1514
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
Actually, they won't build you a diesel powered Jeep. They were going to with the J8, but Chrysler killed that.

--Donnie
Must have been in the last 6 months that they changed that because it was still on their site last fall.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #1515
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
We took 3 Jeeps to a local American car meet today. This lady wanted to have her picture taken with the .50 Cal. How could we refuse?

Theres a few more here

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: