Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 113 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #1561
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Hopefully a rollbar.

I flopped my CJ5 more than once and it wasn't close to being that lifted.

My dad owned a CJ5 when I was a kid. He dropped a cigarette in the passenger floor board, reached over to pick it up, swerved into a ditch and it flopped on its side. Luckily we were only going maybe 10-15 mph. Some passer by saw it happen, stopped, and they simply righted the jeep, engaged the 4wd to pull out of the rut, and my old man drove it home. Zero damage. Ahhh the good old days...
Old 06-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #1562
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
shes got tons of potential. Whats you plan for it?
My dad bought an old Willys. 52' model.
He wants to go Forest exploring, like I do on the bike, I know that going at Jeep speed on the bike sucks so I needed one to go too. At least thats what I told the Mrs. Plus I didn't want to trash my Cherokee since its my daily driver doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Hopefully a rollbar.

I flopped my CJ5 more than once and it wasn't close to being that lifted.

Thats the first thing I told dad when we went to look at it.
Needed a roll bar, it has actually never had a bar on it.
My plans for it are to get it 100% reliable then goto work replacing rusted areas and fix it up to make it solid, nothing serious cause I plan on using it.

I do plan on dropping a pair of Spartan Lockers in it though, front and rear, nothing I hate more than getting stuck because one tire was lifted etc.
I want it to be able to go nearly anyplace my bike can go.
I plan on adding a 12k winch to it too.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #1563
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,356
Yep, nothing like adding a winch to make sure your buddies call you at 3:00 am to come bail them out.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #1564
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Just a few shots sitting in the "Man Cave"

I got it running as good as can be expected with a POS Carter BBD on it.
its going to be replaced with a tried and true Motorcraft 2150.
I also pulled the gas tank, and took out 10 years of mud wasps/dirt dobbers, then I used the engine hoist to lift the back 5 feet off the ground so I could was under it. Someone actually undercoated the thing at one time. To bad they missed some spots that rusted out. Nothing I can't fix.

I'm going to get the lights working on the back before I put the new gas tank back in. The PO bought one for it but never installed it and I could see why it was a PITA to get it out.

I also removed the last piece of smog on it. The Carbon/purge/vapor tank.
That isn't going to be needed here. Its going to get Antique tags so it won't ever have to be licensed again.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #1565
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
Well, I guess I'll find out. This followed me home the other day.

Been having fun with the Jeep, got caught up on all the routine maintenance the P.O. missed and added a few goodies.

Put the winch on and bought some new shoes.

Took it to the Great Sand Dunes for a family outing.

I also picked up a used soft top, it's missing a few pieces but it will be nice to get the hard top off for the summer.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

So true...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #1566
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpokes View Post
Been having fun with the Jeep, got caught up on all the routine maintenance the P.O. missed and added a few goodies.

Put the winch on and bought some new shoes.

Took it to the Great Sand Dunes for a family outing.

I also picked up a used soft top, it's missing a few pieces but it will be nice to get the hard top off for the summer.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

So true...
Very nice! Those the 255's? I run the equivalentt 33x10.5's. The front's all business now.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #1567
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Very nice! Those the 255's? I run the equivalentt 33x10.5's. The front's all business now.
Yup, 255/85R16 I really like this size tire!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #1568
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
I went to 33X10.50's and really like them, don't see going wider.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #1569
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,502
We did a little Jeepin' weekend before last up in the foothills outside of Boulder.

I got the Jeep back in March, and drove it around for a bit and got sick of looking at all the rot and bondo so I stripped it down and cut out all the rot, and bad bondo; and welded in new sheet metal. I originally wasn't going to paint it but there was so much rust I had to, so for $99 I got some acrylic enamel and sprayed it on, but the 1st Gun I had was so shitty I got a ton of Orange Peel, 2nd gun made the hood look like a different color Oh well it looks good now and no rust. Just gotta do something about the ride it's like there's no suspension at all (I did check the Air Pressure and the PO was running 35 PSI, which I think is a bit much), hopefully with 25 and lubing up the leafs will help (shocks and Leafs are pretty new).

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #1570
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
We did a little Jeepin' weekend before last up in the foothills outside of Boulder.

I got the Jeep back in March, and drove it around for a bit and got sick of looking at all the rot and bondo so I stripped it down and cut out all the rot, and bad bondo; and welded in new sheet metal. I originally wasn't going to paint it but there was so much rust I had to, so for $99 I got some acrylic enamel and sprayed it on, but the 1st Gun I had was so shitty I got a ton of Orange Peel, 2nd gun made the hood look like a different color Oh well it looks good now and no rust. Just gotta do something about the ride it's like there's no suspension at all (I did check the Air Pressure and the PO was running 35 PSI, which I think is a bit much), hopefully with 25 and lubing up the leafs will help (shocks and Leafs are pretty new).
35 isn't bad depending on the wheel, tire width and over all weight. Looks like those are 15x10's and the tires 33x12.5R15's. I'd run a chalk line across the tire and see what that shows. I bet you're under-inflated now.

As for the leafs, check the torque on the leaf springs. I'm gonna bet they are too tight. I think the FSM usually says 75-90lbs-ft. If you run nylocks on the shackle end you can bring that down to 35-40 lbs which should allow the suspension to move a bit more.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #1571
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,502
Quote:
35 isn't bad depending on the wheel, tire width and over all weight. Looks like those are 15x10's and the tires 33x12.5R15's. I'd run a chalk line across the tire and see what that shows. I bet you're under-inflated now.

As for the leafs, check the torque on the leaf springs. I'm gonna bet they are too tight. I think the FSM usually says 75-90lbs-ft. If you run nylocks on the shackle end you can bring that down to 35-40 lbs which should allow the suspension to move a bit more.
The tires are actually 32" x 11.5, I had thought 35 psi was too high since that's what you'd run in a full size, I'll try the chalk thing out to get a good tire pressure and try adjusting the torque on the leaf nuts.
Thanks

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #1572
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,197
I don't want to start a new thread but could use the expert opinions of the other inmates here. groop jr, who is 16 needs to spend his hard earned money on a replacement soft top for his 99 TJ. After scouring the web looking at the different options, both of our brains are scrambled. Which top to buy? Bestop, Rugged Ridge, Rampage? I know we can spend between $400 and much, much more, but what are your experiences? This is for a SoCal truck. No extreme cold, ice or snow. He doesn't seem to be bothered too much by excessive highway noise. Are there some decent tops for the money?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #1573
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I don't want to start a new thread but could use the expert opinions of the other inmates here. groop jr, who is 16 needs to spend his hard earned money on a replacement soft top for his 99 TJ. After scouring the web looking at the different options, both of our brains are scrambled. Which top to buy? Bestop, Rugged Ridge, Rampage? I know we can spend between $400 and much, much more, but what are your experiences? This is for a SoCal truck. No extreme cold, ice or snow. He doesn't seem to be bothered too much by excessive highway noise. Are there some decent tops for the money?
Bestop is the OEM supplier. They also sell direct. The tops they sell direct aren't just copies of the OEM though. Several years ago they spun off Pavement Ends to sell their Replace-A-Top line of tops as well as a full top. A Replace-A-Top reuses your old Softtop hardware while the Replace-A-Top reuses your old stuff. If you had a hard top you would need a full top since you wouldn't have the bows and other hardware.

Rugged Ridge and Rampage are your typical value brands, They are typically denim though and not the multi-layer sailcloth which means a bit more noise, Rugged Ridge is owned by Omix-Ada which sells a bunch of Jeep OEM parts. Rampage, I think is the new Steelhorse which rarely made anything themselves. They are a marketing company to help sell third-party stuff under a bigger name. I think to some extend Rugged Ridge is similar.

If you're looking for an OEM quality top then go with Pavement Ends or Bestop.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #1574
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
Bestop is the OEM supplier. They also sell direct. The tops they sell direct aren't just copies of the OEM though. Several years ago they spun off Pavement Ends to sell their Replace-A-Top line of tops as well as a full top. A Replace-A-Top reuses your old Softtop hardware while the Replace-A-Top reuses your old stuff. If you had a hard top you would need a full top since you wouldn't have the bows and other hardware.

Rugged Ridge and Rampage are your typical value brands, They are typically denim though and not the multi-layer sailcloth which means a bit more noise, Rugged Ridge is owned by Omix-Ada which sells a bunch of Jeep OEM parts. Rampage, I think is the new Steelhorse which rarely made anything themselves. They are a marketing company to help sell third-party stuff under a bigger name. I think to some extend Rugged Ridge is similar.

Really helpful. Thanks.

Any other opinions?
Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #1575
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,665
Quote:
What kind of price you talking? Looking to buy a jeep soon, and a hard top is one of my mandatory requirements. It looks like about half of them for sale with a hard top also have soft tops. Just wondering how much I should figure that is worth over hard top only.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: