Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #1681
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I've heard of problems with the AX-5 rebuilds failing prematurely before. Not sure why they can't fix them properly. I usually recommend getting a salvage.
Yeah I dont really know what was going on with it, it wouldnt syncronize in 2nd 4th or reverse and wouldnt go into 1st unless completely stopped. This was from the get go so I dont think it just "failed prematurely". But I basically got a salvage one, just one I know was good when pulled out, the PO was swapping in a 4.0L and ax 15. Im going to pull it apart this weekend and see what was going on inside, Im guessing improper reassembly is to blame. The upside is Ive gotten very good at matching rpm's and double clutch shifting so I should be good to go for smooth shifts on a functioning tranny.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #1682
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
What is with the hate for spacers? You don't want lift but just to shim up the sag.. You just DEFINED the reason spacers exist. They work perfectly for that. Raise the ride height without affecting spring rate. Done.

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Well, I have to admit I'm starting to think it might be OK. My disdain for them is based on I think it is akin to turning up spring preload on a bike. And if I've put a great load on the machine (i.e. winch and other gear) the rate may not be able to handle the extra weight and then the shocks aren't enough and so on... Also, the Jeep wallows a bit too much in stock form for me and a stiffer rate won't hurt my feelings.

I just got off the phone with Teraflex, and they let me know the rate is about 50lbs/sq in stiffer than OEM and will garner just over an inch in the front and barely an inch in the rear with the performance leveling kit (the one with springs).

Honestly, that is PERFECT for my needs. However, I'm going to follow the guy at Teraflex's advice and get the winch mounted and do before and after measurements to see what I get before I order anything.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #1683
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerkid View Post
Yeah I dont really know what was going on with it, it wouldnt syncronize in 2nd 4th or reverse and wouldnt go into 1st unless completely stopped. This was from the get go so I dont think it just "failed prematurely". But I basically got a salvage one, just one I know was good when pulled out, the PO was swapping in a 4.0L and ax 15. Im going to pull it apart this weekend and see what was going on inside, Im guessing improper reassembly is to blame. The upside is Ive gotten very good at matching rpm's and double clutch shifting so I should be good to go for smooth shifts on a functioning tranny.
Yeah, I've had my master kick the bucket and had to drive home with a bump from a friend once. Knowing your shift points really helps in saving the syncros or driving without them. My AX-5 doesn't like cold hor really hot and humid temps. Although in recent years it's not as bad as it was when new. When cold the AX family are prone to not wanting to shift into 2nd. When really hot and humid, mine got harder to shift into 1st.

I had my slave replaced with just about 10K miles on the Jeep. Haven't any any problems since. Jeep had a streak of bad slaves from the supplier which was fixed in '93.

I'm thinking that I might replace mine with a NV3550, maybe. Depends on if I do an engine swap in which case I'll probably go with a 6L80e.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #1684
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Yeah, I've had my master kick the bucket and had to drive home with a bump from a friend once. Knowing your shift points really helps in saving the syncros or driving without them. My AX-5 doesn't like cold hor really hot and humid temps. Although in recent years it's not as bad as it was when new. When cold the AX family are prone to not wanting to shift into 2nd. When really hot and humid, mine got harder to shift into 1st.

I had my slave replaced with just about 10K miles on the Jeep. Haven't any any problems since. Jeep had a streak of bad slaves from the supplier which was fixed in '93.

I'm thinking that I might replace mine with a NV3550, maybe. Depends on if I do an engine swap in which case I'll probably go with a 6L80e.
Well I got it all done, tranny, slave and clutch, shifts nice enough. Theres only a slight tick going into 3rd but ill live with that for a $300 transmission.

Of course, when you work on a Jeep you almost always find something else to fix. My new rear driveshaft that came with my SYE is messed up now. Its an Adams driveshaft and is nice enough, but when it came i thought it was a little short, but it bolted up and drove fine,so I forgot about it. Now when I went to take it off and put it back on its totally stuck WAY too short and I cant pull it open to bolt up even with a ratchet strap. I presume it got messed up from being pulled too far out a bunch of times on the trail. So, out comes the pocketbook for a proper length unit
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #1685
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
So, over the past few days, the typical JK heat shield rattle started to sound a little different. Until I realized it was a different sound altogether. And it sounded like bad bearings somewhere. But not exactly. Odd.

It sounded like it was coming from somewhere near the serpentine belt. After starting it and staring at it for a while, I realize that the noise is timed exactly with slight position shifts of the serp belt on the water pump pulley, along with a minor squeak. Looks like the bearings are failing in the water pump and the shaft is shifting a bit under load? The serpentine belt is dancing from one spot to another on the water pump pulley and and when it does, the bearing noise changes along with a minor squeak at the same time.

07 JK Unlimited Sahara with 81k. Guess there are worse things than losing a $40 water pump. It's on order and will arrive tomorrow. Might as well replace the belt while I'm at it, maybe thermostat too.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #1686
Ironhorsess107
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
My 2010 rubicon in Moab Utah 2011
2001 Harlefy Duece Sold
Ironhorsess107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #1687
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsess107 View Post
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
My 2010 rubicon in Moab Utah 2011
Looks like the Wedgie on Poison Spyder? Did you get the stylish wheel stand at the exit?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #1688
Ironhorsess107
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
You bet I did.
2001 Harlefy Duece Sold
Ironhorsess107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #1689
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,049
Had these laying around my shop for over 6 mos. Finally got around to installing them at my buddy's shop yesterday. We did my XJ (pictured) and a buddy's Ford Expedition.

On my Jeep we did the 4 LF170s, 2 relays, 2 switches, and all associated wiring. Did my buddy's Expedition, 4 Hella 500s (2 spots, 2 fogs), 2 relays, and 2 switches. LOT of soldiering and heat shrink. Was a warm day, but was a good time in the shop with good friends.

My Jeep below, immediately after install.... the lights put out 1.2 Million candlepower combined. Not sure what that is in lumens, but after dark, they lit everything up in my yard light daytime.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 08:19 AM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #1690
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Thats a nice looking XJ, I have always liked those.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #1691
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
I just found this thread. Who knew this site could reach another level of coolness?
I'll try to post a pic of the one Jeep I have left that I built 15 years ago to race back east. Now it pulls stumps and plows snow.

'63(?) CJ3B
SOA on Wrangler springs, lowered 2"
Stock 4 cyl with 1brl Solex carb w/custom 3/16" thick oil pan that doubles as engine mount
Home-built adapter to run t-90 tranny
Dana 20 t-case
Trussed Dana 30 front
Spooled, trussed, centered Dana 44 rear w/1-piece axles
14 point cage
Power steering
4-wheel disc brakes; Jeep front, Subaru rear
33" Goodyear MT's

[IMG]
From Jeeps & Scout
[/IMG]
Just in case the above photo doesn't work, https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

XR4EVER screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 03:42 PM Reason: forgot something
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #1692
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1693
beemerkid
Do you ADV

^whee!!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1694
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 969
A few pics from last weekend in Silverton, CO.

Lots of fun!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #1695
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Cool wheelin!

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: