ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #1741
nwgs OP
solarfied
 
nwgs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
That's correct. The 4th cylinder is brokeh but I am still driving around in this like I stole it.


I think I'm going to have to come over and show how to operate that piece of machinery..



__________________
Our father which art in Washington. Paul Harvey

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #1742
Dukeryder
 
Dukeryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,370
Ended up trading the vintage CJ-5 for something a little more modern.

Needs bigger tires and a lift badly, the stock leafs are flat and the street tires suck out on the trail.

__________________


Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #1743
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,167
So last weekend we went out and tackled the Jeep's namesake. Mild modifications included:
- 2" springs, longer shocks, and front brake lines
- The big nasty Warn I put in a few posts back
- a Jeep load of armor

We never even spooled out the winch, but got hung up a few times, but never "stuck" to where we couldn't get out under our own power. The armor... Well, let's just say, it was a really good idea for me to put it on. EVERY skid and piece of armor took innumerable hits. All 4 wheels got a little bit of rash, 3 of 4 doors took on dings, and we tore off one fender flare. We also dented the bumpers, but those and the fender flares I could care less about.

This was all on stock tires. Bottom line: anyone doubting the JK (of which I don't think there are any) is an idiot. Simply amazing machine. We got done with the trail, aired up, and drove 70-75 all the way home in total comfort.

Of note, the stock rocker guards are PLENTY strong- don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They protected the tub exceptionally well and took some incredible hits. Probably the biggest influence on our success (as well as the lockers of course) was the gearing. I could hold the brake in 1st gear 4 low and not stall, it let me go so slow. I loved it. We very rarely got a tire off the ground due to the exceptional flex and I only used the lockers about 25% of the time (I'm now completely sold on selectable lockers). Although it definitely has a few beauty marks now, I love the Jeep more now than ever. As gillafunk said: this Jeep has seen more dirt and off road in the first 6 months than most suped up machines out there with owners trying to compensate.

Here are some pics:









Oh yeah, we were on a road...





























Yes, we did Big Sluice in the dark. Not recommended without rock lights. Most hits on the armor were here.







msbianca learned how to spot (this was her first hard core off road trip), and was a real trooper as always. The best part is that she had a lot of fun. This was a real milestone in our relationship as we never got to do it in the YJ and the primary purpose of getting the JK was to do this together. I'm a lucky guy.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]

longtallsally screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 12:07 PM
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #1744
nwgs OP
solarfied
 
nwgs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: anywhere and everywhere
Oddometer: 32,362
You made it thru without scratching the paint?

__________________
Our father which art in Washington. Paul Harvey

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #1745
Keyser Soze
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Denver/Costa Mesa
Oddometer: 286
Uh...looks like the front drivers door got a nice gouge.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #1746
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,167
3 of 4 doors took shots and one small one on the bypass on Little Sluice that got the tub just behind the rear door. This is the only one I was really upset about, but whatever, I've no plans on selling it any time soon (kept my last one for 14 years) and the door still fits correctly as does the fender flare, so meh.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #1747
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
3 of 4 doors took shots and one small one on the bypass on Little Sluice that got the tub just behind the rear door. This is the only one I was really upset about, but whatever, I've no plans on selling it any time soon (kept my last one for 14 years) and the door still fits correctly as does the fender flare, so meh.
How long ago was that trip? They've paved the Lil Sluce and Big Sluice two weeks ago.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #1748
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
How long ago was that trip? They've paved the Lil Sluce and Big Sluice two weeks ago.
We went just last weekend. Here is what they did:









__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #1749
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
We went just last weekend. Here is what they did:









Thanks for sharing the pics! I've only seen the pics when it was still in progress. It doesn't look that bad. Pre-2000, maybe.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #1750
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics! I've only seen the pics when it was still in progress. It doesn't look that bad. Pre-2000, maybe.
No, it's bad. It used to be 100 yards of insanity. Now it is about 3 car lengths. Honestly, if I was willing to take on a good bit of damage, the JK would have made it.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #1751
Jeffy
Hmm...
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: SF - East Bay
Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
No, it's bad. It used to be 100 yards of insanity. Now it is about 3 car lengths. Honestly, if I was willing to take on a good bit of damage, the JK would have made it.
So you went up the right side, onto the slab? Sad that they cut down the tree that was at the entrance of the Lil Sluice. That tree was probably over 100 years old.
__________________
"I'm going to shift gears now.... This will involve man touching." - Jeremy Clarkson
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #1752
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
So you went up the right side, onto the slab? Sad that they cut down the tree that was at the entrance of the Lil Sluice. That tree was probably over 100 years old.
The bypass I've always taken is actually up to the left. It is where I tore off the fender flare and dinged the rear door on the driver's side.

And they didn't cut the tree down, it actually fell from weather conditions:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/rubic...ss-friend.html

Everyone was very sad about it.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #1753
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,338
Thanks for sharing your trip, longtall.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #1754
Dukeryder
 
Dukeryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,370
Nice pix longtall

I've never doubted the JK offroad, the only doubt I've ever held about them is the size, they just look HUGE compared to every other Jeep (CJs, YJs &TJs) since the dawn of time.

Pretty much everything Jeep makes is pretty capable. I'll post up some pics later of a Compass I saw on a trail yesterday
__________________


Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #1755
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
So last weekend we went out and tackled the Jeep's namesake. Mild modifications included:
- 2" springs, longer shocks, and front brake lines
- The big nasty Warn I put in a few posts back
- a Jeep load of armor

We never even spooled out the winch, but got hung up a few times, but never "stuck" to where we couldn't get out under our own power. The armor... Well, let's just say, it was a really good idea for me to put it on. EVERY skid and piece of armor took innumerable hits. All 4 wheels got a little bit of rash, 3 of 4 doors took on dings, and we tore off one fender flare. We also dented the bumpers, but those and the fender flares I could care less about.

This was all on stock tires. Bottom line: anyone doubting the JK (of which I don't think there are any) is an idiot. Simply amazing machine. We got done with the trail, aired up, and drove 70-75 all the way home in total comfort.

Of note, the stock rocker guards are PLENTY strong- don't let anyone tell you otherwise. They protected the tub exceptionally well and took some incredible hits. Probably the biggest influence on our success (as well as the lockers of course) was the gearing. I could hold the brake in 1st gear 4 low and not stall, it let me go so slow. I loved it. We very rarely got a tire off the ground due to the exceptional flex and I only used the lockers about 25% of the time (I'm now completely sold on selectable lockers). Although it definitely has a few beauty marks now, I love the Jeep more now than ever. As gillafunk said: this Jeep has seen more dirt and off road in the first 6 months than most suped up machines out there with owners trying to compensate.
Oh yeah? Well, I turned mine around in the back yard last weekend.









__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014