Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #1861
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Saw a JK-8 in person the other day.

Probably worthless as a truck, but it looked kewl.

M
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #1862
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,192
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5660570/

I dunno. I need to see more. I've ruined my wife on BMWs, but she might be intrigued on this one...
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #1863
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5660570/

I dunno. I need to see more. I've ruined my wife on BMWs, but she might be intrigued on this one...
I'm intrigued that they could call that a Cherokee, which was never about bling unless "Cherokee" was preceeded by "Grand". Too much chrome on that front end.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #1864
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King View Post
Based on construction equipment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #1865
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,220
My Jeep!

1966 CJ5 with the buick dauntless 225 oddfire backed up by a 3 speed tranny.

This is a home brew jeep, not pretty but we have fun with it.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #1866
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,642
I just upgraded the daughter's ride this weekend. I sold my little Mazda B2600 4X4 on Saturday and lucked into a 1999 Cherokee Sunday morning that had just posted up on CL.

When she was learning how to drive, I set her up in a 1986 Cherokee that had been given to me with a bad 2.8L V-6. I swapped in a 3.4L, which was a little peppier, but it was still old tech nothing else fits but the factory carburetor, let it warm up forever in the mornings, AMC wiring, etc.

This was how things started ^^^.

^^^^^ And this is pretty much how it ended up as her daily driver last year, before I mounted up some nice new Goodyear 235/75R15 Wranglers.

Now for the good stuff...

Now she has a sweet 1999 XJ with 181k miles on the clock. ^^^^ She is the 3rd owner of this well cared for Jeep. The beauty of it was that I paid exactly what I had sold the Mazda for. The only additional expense was gas to go get it.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #1867
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,810
Y'all are killing me. My old 97 Cherokee Sport goes up for sale next week. We have owned it since new and it has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I will soon be Jeepless for only the second time since 1984.

But with a virgin 3G 4Runner and a 200,000+ mile Cherokee in the driveway with room for only one, the choice is as obvious as it is painful.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #1868
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Y'all are killing me. My old 97 Cherokee Sport goes up for sale next week. We have owned it since new and it has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I will soon be Jeepless for only the second time since 1984.

But with a virgin 3G 4Runner and a 200,000+ mile Cherokee in the driveway with room for only one, the choice is as obvious as it is painful.
I feel your pain. I bought my first XJ in 1993, a one-owner '92 two door, 4.0L 5 speed, 4wd. The wife and I drove that Jeep everywhere. After 5 years and 175k miles, we needed a truck to haul the horses with and traded it in on a Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel. It has been impossible to find a clean, reasonably priced 2 door 4wd around here.

As it stands, it seems I now have a Jeep farm. I picked up a 2001 GC with a bad 4.0L to fix up for the wife, the 1993 5 speed GC with 259k miles on it (my DD), the '86 and '99 XJ's and a rusted out 1995 XJ Country that I am harvesting for parts. The '86 will be sold this month to pay for the new engine for the '01.

-Joe

Old 03-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1869
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

I still like that old beater Cherokee enough that I was on the fence about selling it or the 99 4Runner or my 03 Ranger 4x4 pickup. But keeping a virginal, low mileage 3G 4Runner is a no brainer even if it is a souless Toyota. Well, actually, because it is a souless Toyota.

But I was (and if truth be told I am still) on the fence for a long time about whether to sell the perfect 100k mile Ranger 4x4 pickup or the beater Cherokee. I still like that hammered Cherokee about 10,000x more than the mint truck. But the truck is a truck and I don't want to license a third trailer.

So my head wins out over my heart and my poor old Cherokee has to go bye bye. The Cherokee fanatic that helped me grab the current motor at a pull and pay says I am wedded to it after doing that motor swap. He isn't speaking to me since informing him of the impending divorce.

Actually the motor was cake compared to the condenser last summer.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #1870
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
I still like that old beater Cherokee enough that I was on the fence about selling it or the 99 4Runner or my 03 Ranger 4x4 pickup. But keeping a virginal, low mileage 3G 4Runner is a no brainer even if it is a souless Toyota. Well, actually, because it is a souless Toyota.

But I was (and if truth be told I am still) on the fence for a long time about whether to sell the perfect 100k mile Ranger 4x4 pickup or the beater Cherokee. I still like that hammered Cherokee about 10,000x more than the mint truck. But the truck is a truck and I don't want to license a third trailer.

So my head wins out over my heart and my poor old Cherokee has to go bye bye. The Cherokee fanatic that helped me grab the current motor at a pull and pay says I am wedded to it after doing that motor swap. He isn't speaking to me since informing him of the impending divorce.

Actually the motor was cake compared to the condenser last summer.

That's a whole lotta love right there ^^^^. I did the engine swap into the '86 XJ. The Jeep was given to me with a bad 2.8L V-6. I swapped in a used 3.4L and used it to teach my daughter how to drive. From there it became her daily driver, until this past Sunday. Now she has the bullet-proof 4.0L and functioning AC. The '86 had a 4.10 gear set in it, but never got better than 16 MPG. I swapped in a 3.55 rear from the rusty red Jeep and corrected MPG jumped to 21, but the 3.4L was pretty flat off the line. Yesterday I finished putting the 4.10 rear back in in preparation for the impending sale.

I had considered getting her into a 4Runner, but I've never had occasion to work on one. XJ Jeeps, I like to think, I know inside out. I doubt I could ever find a clean, 2nd owner 4wd 4Runner for $1800. Toyotas hold ridiculous value, even more so than Jeeps.

-Joe

Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #1871
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Here's what the little '86 looks like today:

Katherine calls her "Bessie", after getting the new Jeep this past weekend, I refer to them as Agent 86 and Agent 99.

-Joe

Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #1872
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

My Cherokee fanatic buddy Chas is right about one thing, engine swaps are a right of passage for Jeep nuts. I have done two now. The V8 into a CJ5 was a riot. Stupid perhaps, but a riot just the same.

BTW, Grreatwife just saw the 2014 "Cherokee" on line. She is horrified. It is way, way too soccer mom grocery getter for her. Hey Jeep, your new Cherokee is too foo foo for a middle aged librarian. Think about that.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:29 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #1873
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
BTW, Grreatwife just saw the 2014 "Cherokee" on line. She is horrified. It is way, way too soccer mom grocery getter for her. Hey Jeep, your new Cherokee is too foo foo for a middle aged librarian. Think about that.
I have to agree with Grreatwife, though I just find it repulsive.

Katherine just turned 17, so when I first started messing around with "Bessie" for her, I imparted the history of the XJ Cherokee upon her as pretty much the origin of the SUV here in the US. I explained how post-war era Jeep was American Motors through the 70's and into the mid 80's and that the Cherokee and CJ were the last vehicles made by AMC, her's included. I think between that and her actively helping from time to time as I worked on her little Jeep gave her some real pride in ownership. Not many kids these days get excited about a 27 year old glorified station wagon. After nearly two years of driving Bessie around, she really did not want to give it up, in spite of no AC and weak heat. It wasn't until she saw Agent 99 that she really started warming up to the idea of a "new" Jeep.

-Joe

Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #1874
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,051
I traded this:

for this:

but I still miss my XJ
Old 03-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #1875
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro View Post
I traded this:

for this:

but I still miss my XJ
That would be a tough call. I like the idea of the 4 door Wrangler, but appearance wise, I like the two door better. A little lift helps the look of the 4 door though, IMHO. The red Cherokee has just the right stance, practical, useful, but not so tall as to be unstable or hard to drive.

-Joe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: