User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 93 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #331
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,935
Ok, those are 15x7" wheels so you'd probably want to get 15x8's when you go to 33's. Or else you can run 33x10.5R15's on those.

If I was going to get a SYE, I'd look at the JB Conversions Super Slim SYE ( http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...short_sye.html ). It's the shortest one out there which means it will allow for you to have the longest rear driveshaft. You'll want to do this after you get a lift since you won't want to have to get the driveshaft shortened if you change thisn up later. You'll have to measure to see if you can fit standard U-joints in there once it's setup. Otherwise you'll have to go with a CV driveshaft. It's not as strong as a single U-joint setup but if you can't get the angles righ it's the only option. You can get a driveshaft made locally. I'm sure there are driveline shops around you since it's a fairly common break on the Con.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #332
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Ok, those are 15x7" wheels so you'd probably want to get 15x8's when you go to 33's. Or else you can run 33x10.5R15's on those.

If I was going to get a SYE, I'd look at the JB Conversions Super Slim SYE ( http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...short_sye.html ). It's the shortest one out there which means it will allow for you to have the longest rear driveshaft. You'll want to do this after you get a lift since you won't want to have to get the driveshaft shortened if you change thisn up later. You'll have to measure to see if you can fit standard U-joints in there once it's setup. Otherwise you'll have to go with a CV driveshaft. It's not as strong as a single U-joint setup but if you can't get the angles righ it's the only option. You can get a driveshaft made locally. I'm sure there are driveline shops around you since it's a fairly common break on the Con.
The wheels are 15X8. I was already planning on only a 10.5 width on the tire though, I like the look of it, and I'm pretty sure they'll function just fine as well. I'm also planning on putting spidertrax spacers on to get rid of the backspacing problem. Thanks for the tip on the SYE, so you're tellin' me I need to drop a bunch more money on a driveshaft too, huh?
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #333
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub
The wheels are 15X8. I was already planning on only a 10.5 width on the tire though, I like the look of it, and I'm pretty sure they'll function just fine as well. I'm also planning on putting spidertrax spacers on to get rid of the backspacing problem. Thanks for the tip on the SYE, so you're tellin' me I need to drop a bunch more money on a driveshaft too, huh?
Hmm, OK, then they're ok to use. The BS will be 5.5" IIRC which might cause some rubbing although you can dial some of it out my adjusting the steering stops on the knuckles. You can use spacers but they aren't my favorite. 1" spacers should be OK. I'm not sure if they make anything smaller unless you get longer studs and use shim spacers. 4.5-4.75" is pretty good if you want to keep the tires under the flares as much as possible. AEV uses 4.75" which leaves an inch or two sticking out.

Yeah, a driveshaft will cost more. Probably $1-200. It would probably be cheeper if you could locate an XJ or TJ front driveshaft to have cut down.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #334
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
Hmm, OK, then they're ok to use. The BS will be 5.5" IIRC which might cause some rubbing although you can dial some of it out my adjusting the steering stops on the knuckles. You can use spacers but they aren't my favorite. 1" spacers should be OK. I'm not sure if they make anything smaller unless you get longer studs and use shim spacers. 4.5-4.75" is pretty good if you want to keep the tires under the flares as much as possible. AEV uses 4.75" which leaves an inch or two sticking out.

Yeah, a driveshaft will cost more. Probably $1-200. It would probably be cheeper if you could locate an XJ or TJ front driveshaft to have cut down.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I was just drooling over the RE long arm kits on their site. BDS makes them too, and I think they're rated pretty well. $3k is just too much to spend right now just for the suspension. Did I mention I'm also bikeless!

EDIT: I just checked out the BDS Long Arm. It is bigger (4.5") and more inclusive than the RE 3.5 Long Arm kit and a few hundred cheaper. I might just hold off on the whole deal until I can afford one of these...
Old 04-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #335
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,750
Not an offroad pic, also not what it looks like now. But nevertheless here is a pic of my toy. Bought it new in April of 08 and havnt been brave enuf to take if offroad yet. I have had it up on the RTI ramp and it did almost as well as a Rubicon of the same year and wheelbase. I will upload more pics with the new lift, bumpers and winch as soon as possible.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #336
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,750
Heres a more updated pic.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #337
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I was just drooling over the RE long arm kits on their site. BDS makes them too, and I think they're rated pretty well. $3k is just too much to spend right now just for the suspension. Did I mention I'm also bikeless!

EDIT: I just checked out the BDS Long Arm. It is bigger (4.5") and more inclusive than the RE 3.5 Long Arm kit and a few hundred cheaper. I might just hold off on the whole deal until I can afford one of these...
You don't need a long arm unless you're going over 4" so stick with a short arm. In a pinch, I would look at ACOS spacers. This allows you to dial up your suspension for a few inches. It will also allow you to adjust it once the springs start sagging unevenly. Then do arms later. That will allow you to piece meal it for the time being without having to buy anything twice. You'll reuse the ACOS once you start adding bumpers and winches to help regain some lift lost by the weight.

Also, keep in mind that bigger is not better. For rockcrawling, you want to keep the CG low and have just enough clearance to clear your tires when articulated. 3" is good for 33's.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #338
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
You don't need a long arm unless you're going over 4" so stick with a short arm. In a pinch, I would look at ACOS spacers. This allows you to dial up your suspension for a few inches. It will also allow you to adjust it once the springs start sagging unevenly. Then do arms later. That will allow you to piece meal it for the time being without having to buy anything twice. You'll reuse the ACOS once you start adding bumpers and winches to help regain some lift lost by the weight.

Also, keep in mind that bigger is not better. For rockcrawling, you want to keep the CG low and have just enough clearance to clear your tires when articulated. 3" is good for 33's.
One thing I've read that I like about the BDS is that nobody is reporting any sag whatsoever, even after time. I'll take a look at the ACOS you suggested though.

I agree with you about not making it huge (I don't think 4.5 is huge, but it might require a larger tire). I really like the idea of having low CG, and really like the looks of those highline kits, but those are ridiculously overpriced too. I've read about a mod you can do yourself and it looks good, but I have zero fabricating experience and I'd be terrified by cutting into my sheet metal. Regardless, I think I've taken up enough of NWGS' thread without having something to show for it, so I'll shut up.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #339
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
One thing I've read that I like about the BDS is that nobody is reporting any sag whatsoever, even after time. I'll take a look at the ACOS you suggested though.

I agree with you about not making it huge (I don't think 4.5 is huge, but it might require a larger tire). I really like the idea of having low CG, and really like the looks of those highline kits, but those are ridiculously overpriced too. I've read about a mod you can do yourself and it looks good, but I have zero fabricating experience and I'd be terrified by cutting into my sheet metal. Regardless, I think I've taken up enough of NWGS' thread without having something to show for it, so I'll shut up.
All lifts should eventually sag otherwise they're too stiff. IIRC, the owner of BSD used to work for Trail Master Suspensions then left. Most companies buy their leafs from other companies. Specifically, McKoy Brothers Canada. I think that turned into McKoy Group. They have their own website in the US; http://www.mccoybrosusa.com/

The nice thing about RE is that you can buy the basic kit and build it up. I'd go with this, http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/T...px?part=RE7002 Then add control arms when you can. Make sure you get decent shocks otherwise, the ride will suffer.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #340
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Quote:
All lifts should eventually sag otherwise they're too stiff. IIRC, the owner of BSD used to work for Trail Master Suspensions then left. Most companies buy their leafs from other companies. Specifically, McKoy Brothers Canada. I think that turned into McKoy Group. They have their own website in the US; http://www.mccoybrosusa.com/

The nice thing about RE is that you can buy the basic kit and build it up. I'd go with this, http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/T...px?part=RE7002 Then add control arms when you can. Make sure you get decent shocks otherwise, the ride will suffer.
Thanks for the tip, looks like a good price.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #341
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,369
Not trying to but check out Kevin's Offroad. His prices are not the cheapest, but his kits are very good. Kevin does carry RE stuff, but puts the kits together bit differently. My only association with Kevin's Offroad is that of a satisfied, repeat customer.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #342
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick
Moab ain't for pussies.
No it most certainly is not.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #343
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Oh Dude,
That is totally classic..

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #344
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
No it most certainly is not.

Our club is heading there this week. I would love to go if not for the almighty....$$$$$$.

Nice pics.

http://www.cascade4x4s.com/

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #345
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
From the look of what appears to be moisture on the rock behind that Jeep, I would have to say that Cooler Killer was living up to its name.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: