User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 125 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #751
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,956
Started this trip report, but with extended family health issues haven't finished it yet:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=45779

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #752
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz
Nice looking XJ! I'm running Treadwright's on my Wrangler. The Guard Dogs. Looking forward to when their 315's come out.
Thanks! I love these tires. Had 5 delivered to my door for $420! Good wearing and inexpensive. I've turned quite a few people onto them. Next ones I get will be the 31x10.5 Guard Dogs. How are they?
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #753
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek

I like that a lot. The wheels are sweet too!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:15 AM   #754
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by STROMVADER
Thanks! I love these tires. Had 5 delivered to my door for $420! Good wearing and inexpensive. I've turned quite a few people onto them. Next ones I get will be the 31x10.5 Guard Dogs. How are they?
I like mine fine. To be honest, when I got them I was disappointed in that I expected the tread to be more open, but in use I really can't complain. I'm not interested in mud bogs but I've offroaded it and the tires have never left me wanting. They are loud, but my Jeep is a soft top and a lot of the time doesn't have doors or windows. Like I said, I'll be ordering 315's when they're available. I just need to decide whether I want 16's or 17's.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #755
hellfire76
haphazard adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Have any of you guys rebuilt a 207 transfer case? I am just looking for a little advise on what to expect and what to look for while I'm in there. Would I be better off getting my hands on a 231 instead?
Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #756
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire76
Have any of you guys rebuilt a 207 transfer case? I am just looking for a little advise on what to expect and what to look for while I'm in there. Would I be better off getting my hands on a 231 instead?
Thanks
I would go ahead and swap to a NP231. You might have to swap your input shaft for the one on the 231 depending on what you get it from. The 231 has a 2.71:1 as opposed to your 2.61:1. The planetary has fewer gear contacts then the 231 which is why it's considered weaker even though the chain and sprocket are wider. Standard chain is 1" wide on the 231-J. You can swap them to 1.25" chains and sprockets though.

In any case, a 231 is easy to find since they used them in basically all of the Jeeps since '87. Unless you're rebuilding it yourself, it would be cheaper to just use a 231. Later '96+ have a true neutral which is a little better then the older ones if you flat tow. They do lack the vacuum disconnect solenoid valve though.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #757
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek
This was the end of this trail, and we seriously considered giving it a try, but no dice.

I tried a bridge once looked just like that. Took a few hours to get out of the culvert because I was so tangled up in collapsed bridge. Then it busted the rear axle shims. So it was pretty slow going back to Houghton, Michigan. It was a little used trail going up to the tip of the Keweenaw peninsula, to the Rocket Range that NASA used to launch little rockets from.
Then it took about four days to get some more shims so I could drive home.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #758
dentedvw
Where did I put that

We miss our Jeep so badly, I made a mistake and bought a Tacoma instead of a Rubicon last year.
So, I am looking at Salvage jeeps with repairable damage. Fix it up well enough to drive around, and ditch this near useless Tacoma. Ditch the payments at the same time too.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #759
93-610
I'm a tard

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Muro
DID you fab that coil-spring conversion yourself or is it a kit?
XCL kit, and man - it works, first time out, no rock experience - it just crawled over everything. PIA to install - esp. with a Scout front, Ford rear, Chevy drivetrain, etc. Just need more time to stretch the legs

oldest crap
crap I almost forgot about

93-610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #760
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
My TJ that I built up from an $1,800 beater, which didn't run when I got it...

Took just over a year to build, I wheeled it for less than a year, then sold it after I got laid off. It was insanely capable, had a GM 5.3l, TH350, Atlas t-case, Dana 60's F & R, 40" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers with a 3" TeraFlex LJ long-arm suspension, making the wheelbase 104".

I would love to build another some day, but I was making more money when I built it and the project was so huge, it really burned me out of taking on another big project.

Couple quick videos-

Build thread, if you're so inclined- http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/...ad.php?t=43586

Greg@RME screwed with this post 09-09-2010 at 09:24 PM
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #761
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
I tried a bridge once looked just like that. Took a few hours to get out of the culvert because I was so tangled up in collapsed bridge. Then it busted the rear axle shims. So it was pretty slow going back to Houghton, Michigan. It was a little used trail going up to the tip of the Keweenaw peninsula, to the Rocket Range that NASA used to launch little rockets from.
Then it took about four days to get some more shims so I could drive home.

That trail is pretty easy to get down now. There are remnants of that bridge left but not much else.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #762
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport
That trail is pretty easy to get down now. There are remnants of that bridge left but not much else.
I have to wonder if we are speaking of the same trail. One is the main road to the rocket range which everyone uses now, and has for the last twenty years or so, and the other is only on an old USGS Topo map that we believed, for some reason. That trail was so overgrown that we were smacking large limbs with the windshield all the way in, and all the way out.

The next time we went, we found the real road, and it is pretty okay, the creek crossing there was much, much more mellow. Didn't even have to use four wheel drive.

So I found a four door JK in Texas, needs a whole new front clip, otherwise ok. Will probably go for about five thousand though. We are really going low dough this time, with wrenching required. Keeping my eyes peeled for a TJ, Unlimited. Four door would be nice, but with our budget in mind, we can settle for two.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #763
dmgiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158

Hopefully this photo came up right. This is my toy. Stock engine, stock 231 transfer case, 4.88 gears, D44 in the rear, Ox locked front and rear on 35's. 4" lift with slip yoke eliminator, homemade swing out tire carrier, homemade rock sliders and front bumper. The bumper is quite a bit different now as I have added a Warn 8274 winch. I'm getting ready to add new seats. Thinking of going with Corbeau... Also getting ready to take off the stock front sway bar and add a Currie Anti-Rock front sway bar.

Edit: I guess the picture didn't come up... I suck at this... Sorry.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #764
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
I have to wonder if we are speaking of the same trail. One is the main road to the rocket range which everyone uses now, and has for the last twenty years or so, and the other is only on an old USGS Topo map that we believed, for some reason. That trail was so overgrown that we were smacking large limbs with the windshield all the way in, and all the way out.

The next time we went, we found the real road, and it is pretty okay, the creek crossing there was much, much more mellow. Didn't even have to use four wheel drive.

So I found a four door JK in Texas, needs a whole new front clip, otherwise ok. Will probably go for about five thousand though. We are really going low dough this time, with wrenching required. Keeping my eyes peeled for a TJ, Unlimited. Four door would be nice, but with our budget in mind, we can settle for two.
Oh the bushy way in. I have taken that trail once and that was 7 years ago since it was on my GPS as a road. I don't remember any bridges on that one but I was also pretty hungover. I still have the map with that trail on it so maybe I will get up there this fall with the bike and give it a shot again.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #765
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,078
205?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: