Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #916
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Escalator. I did a couple of the other "hot tubs" but was chicken to try Mickey's.
I stuffed my JK 4 door in Escalator, in the waterhole, but squirmed back up into "straddle" position and drove on out. Could have used a spotter on that one. Only a couple of inches either way to play with. Have 37" tires and TR beadlocks on now, so I want a rematch.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 12-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #917
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I've never tried any of those, looks like too much work.
Bah. Really not that bad- remember the slickrock is anything but. I saw a lifted 4 door Tracker just about make it with only a decent bit of body damage.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #918
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
I stuffed my JK 4 door in Escalator, in the waterhole, but squirmed back up into "straddle" position and drove on out. Could have used a spotter on that one. Only a couple of inches either way to play with. Have 37" tires and TR beadlocks on now, so I want a rematch.
I am on my side in that pic. I went too far left (obviously) and the right rear wheel slipped down in the water hole and I couldn't get it back on par and since I didn't have a tow vehicle, I decided to err on the side of getting home easily and pull out the cable.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #919
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I am on my side in that pic. I went too far left (obviously) and the right rear wheel slipped down in the water hole and I couldn't get it back on par and since I didn't have a tow vehicle, I decided to err on the side of getting home easily and pull out the cable.
It scraped up the paint on the top of the rear passenger side door. I thought that was a pretty cool place to get scrapage...

Old 12-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #920
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
It scraped up the paint on the top of the rear passenger side door. I thought that was a pretty cool place to get scrapage...
I'm always amazed at jeepers and their tolerance for damage.

If you can't tolerate it you probably shouldn't be doing it..
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:54 PM   #921
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwgs View Post
I'm always amazed at jeepers and their tolerance for damage.

If you can't tolerate it you probably shouldn't be doing it..

Hey, that's what they're for, right? having adventures and living to tell the tale? Mine is an '08, with maybe 4000 miles on it, mostly off the pavement around Moab. It still works to go down to Pasta Jays or Zax for dinner though. Lots more fun memories in that machine than if I had 30000 highway miles on it. It's a toy, like a dirtbike with 4 wheels. nobody would baby an EXC300.... Anyone who rolls their jeep is right up in the lead for laughing at the situation, after the shock wears off that is.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #922
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Hey, that's what they're for, right? having adventures and living to tell the tale? Mine is an '08, with maybe 4000 miles on it, mostly off the pavement around Moab. It still works to go down to Pasta Jays or Zax for dinner though. Lots more fun memories in that machine than if I had 30000 highway miles on it. It's a toy, like a dirtbike with 4 wheels. nobody would baby an EXC300.... Anyone who rolls their jeep is right up in the lead for laughing at the situation, after the shock wears off that is.
Till you do a bone headed move like this one.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #923
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Till you do a bone headed move like this one.

Are you trying to tell me you didn't laugh when you saw that? I sure did, and the driver was so proud of himself he let his buddies put it up on YouTube! I'll bet that is his most memorable day of off roading ever! I bet he said "Yippee!" after he crawled from the wreckage.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #924
nwgs OP
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
We do a thing called the Stag Run up at Elbe hills, if you've ever heard of the "Busy Wild Trail" it is one of the wildest in our State.
I'd made it thru this year with only one mistake, a rut that had thrown me into a tree and damaged my windshield frame. Back at camp I was happy for the lack of breakage this year and set about making sure the keg didn't stay full.
When Uh Oh. One of the guys broke and needed a partner to run in with them we never run alone. Off we go and about halfway thru I broke a left front axle. I heard it but for some reason...(mostly cause I shut my air locker off) it didn't register quite as strongly as it should.
Later in another tough area I re-engaged the front locker and Ca Klunk, there goes the knuckle. Luckily another guy had one and after an hour or so back on the trail we went.
Year before we went into the trail at noon and didn't come back out till four in the morning. No man left behind.
It's all part of wheeling right?
Gotta love it.
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #925
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,418
Quote:
I know the feeling. My best scrapes are above the passenger side doors from rubbing on trees beside an off-camber trail.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #926
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
I don't have a trailer. Maybe next year?

My wife's grandfather offered me his old army trailer, but it's tiny. Not like the kind you usually think of. It's a real oddball. I will take a picture of it next time I am up there. Thought about trying to use it anyway, it would be nice to have something to move kayaks around. It could hold one dirt bike probably.
And my new plate.

dentedvw screwed with this post 12-31-2010 at 07:28 AM
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #927
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
I know the feeling. My best scrapes are above the passenger side doors from rubbing on trees beside an off-camber trail.
Clipped a tree once with my old CJ-7 and didn't think it was tweaked too bad till i went to put the hard top back on in the fall!
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #928
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw View Post
My wife's grandfather offered me his old army trailer, but it's tiny. Not like the kind you usually think of. It's a real oddball. I will take a picture of it next time I am up there. Thought about trying to use it anyway, it would be nice to have something to move kayaks around. It could hold one dirt bike probably.
Do you mean the old Bantam trailers?

www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #929
RustySpokes
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Do you mean the old Bantam trailers?

That's an M416.
Bantam trailers have round fenders and usually have tailgates. They look a lot alike though.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #930
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,151
No, it's narrower. No box at all, but it has fenders. We will sometimes stand by it and come up with crazy ideas about what it was used for. I guessed telephone pole trailer, and that may be the closest.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: