ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
Cool2 Trans New Jersey Trail

MCI - Dual Sport Event - 2/23/2014 - First ECEA Event of the Year!

Please come join us for a nice winter ride in the forests of the New Jersey Pines Barrens. The course will be a great mix of what the Pines has to offer.

Big Bike Friendly and FUN!!!

We have miles of single track, firecuts, jeep trails and backroads for you to enjoy. The course will be arrowed and there will also be a GPS file for download
at Sign-Up.

So, this is the perfect time for you to learn how to use your GPS . You can always rely on the arrows for backup as your learning how to navigate off-road with your gps.

There will also be a food drive. Please bring canned food for a $5 discount on your entry fee!

Please see the flyer for more info! I expect to see all you TNJT Riders down there!

Please help spread the word, our club really needs to have an awesome turn out!

http://www.ride-mci.com/dualsport



--

The Trans New Jersey Trail - TNJT

--

Download all the routes from 2007 - 2011 here. Please feel free to make edits and updates and post your changes in this thread. Please also email me a copy here: rideguide23 at gmail dot com

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20883724/TNJT.zip

Join me on Facebook and feel free to ask me questions here:
http://www.facebook.com/rideguide

The Trans New Jersey Trail is a self Guided GPS route that covers the entire state of New Jersey including over 750 miles of some of the best roads NJ has to offer. The trail is completely legal to ride on a street legal dual sport motorcycle, adventure touring motorcycle or 4x4 truck or jeep. The trail starts at the High Point Monument in North Jersey and goes south all the way to the Cape May Lighthouse. The entire route may be completed within three days. You may also choose to ride a section or sections of the route at your leisure. Gas stops, food and camping are noted in waypoints along the route.

Thanks to all the route builders for making this possible!
section1: dockingpilot / Frank
section2: robp77 / Rob
section3: wwjam / Wil
section4: rob23 / Rob
section5: gerryNJ / Gerry
section6: sandflea / Rob
section7: deerSlayR / Doug

Ride Reports
2007: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236940
2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309005
2009: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458034
2013: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893042
2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=914190
2013: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922545 << nice pics here

Others:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701410

More Rides
--
Please also come ride the Pine Barrens 300/500
http://pinebarrens500.org/

Ride the MCI Stump-Jumper Enduro
http://www.MotorcycleCompetitionInc.com

Need a place to ride, join the ECEA and enjoy the many Enduros, Hare Scrambles and Dual Sport rides held each year
http://www.ECEA.org

rob23 screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 01:36 PM
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,035
wow!
nicely done

couldn't use the Garmin gdb file for some reason (I have city nav NA v.8) but the gpx file was just fine.

added to the "things to do before I die" list
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g
wow!
nicely done

couldn't use the Garmin gdb file for some reason (I have city nav NA v.8) but the gpx file was just fine.

added to the "things to do before I die" list
In Mapsource goto Help > Check for Software Updates or download the latest update from Garmin and you should be all set.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
Sandflea
One Lump or Two?
 
Sandflea's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SuperFund Heaven
Oddometer: 907
Very Nice

Way to go, very nice. Does this mean I have to trim my section now?!
__________________
Rob Girard
AMA,ECEA
VP Motorcycle Competiton Inc.
00' SV650n
02' KLR650
98' XR400 Aloop kit plated
86' XT350 Flat Track

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. Amen. -Monk, name unknown
Sandflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
NJDRT-RDR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Oddometer: 351
Thanks
__________________
DRZ-400S

The michigan Trail Safari
http://home.comcast.net/~drt-rdr/trailsafari.txt
NJDRT-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflea
Way to go, very nice. Does this mean I have to trim my section now?!
Hopefully enough people will ride it that it'll become single track and won't need much trimming. Since it is a state road maybe the state will trim it .
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
airframe
SAND&WATER LIGHTLYSTIRRED
 
airframe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Forked River NJ
Oddometer: 108
Thumb tj

Thank you guys for all your time.

Now I will start to ride the routes.

It will be fun.

Air pump and tubes, crackers and jam, water and a camera.

AND My horse KLR 650.
airframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
TomN
Beastly Adventurer
 
TomN's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Chalfont, PA
Oddometer: 2,497
Very nice all, thanks for the hard work
__________________
2011 DL650
2009 KLX250S
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
tedski
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tedski's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 127
Google Maps Mashup

For those that like to use Google Maps to view maps before you move them over to your GPS's mapping software, I've overlaid this trail onto Google Maps. For the "Follow-Road" Sections, they are colored grey. For the "Off-Road" Sections, I colored them brown. Hope this comes in handy for some.

Trans New Jersey Trail - Google Maps
__________________
2009 Suzuki DR650

tedski screwed with this post 09-03-2007 at 02:12 PM
tedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSki
For those that like to use Google Maps to view maps before you move them over to your GPS's mapping software, I've overlaid this trail onto Google Maps. For the "Follow-Road" Sections, they are colored grey. For the "Off-Road" Sections, I colored them brown. Hope this comes in handy for some.

Trans New Jersey Traiil - Google Maps

Trans New Jersey Traiil - Google Maps


THANK YOU!!!

rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
tedski
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tedski's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 127
A friend of mine from Jackson wanted to go riding this weekend. I have just moved back here and never really have ridden roads here. I grew up here in Sayreville, but not with a motorcycle. I only fell in love with them once I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area (go figure). So, we'd already had ridden up near Rt. 6 in NY and all over Bear Mtn. and all over the areas of Stokes that were familiar to me. So, this time, I decided to take the "FR" sections of the TNJT and reverse them from Jackson to High Point and ride them. Well, in all honesty, FR meant Follow Road, which to him meant Follow Pavement, but I quietly knew FR just meant it was an actual road. What else would you expect from AdvRider? So, we set off, and before we even finished Section 4-1, he was ready to depart from our route. In his defense, he was on a Triumph 675 which I couldn't imagine would be neither comfortable or fun on gravel roads. Well, all in all, I had a blast with the little that we did ride, and can't wait to ride the rest.

Which brings me to a question: Does anyone want to ride this damn thing?! I get 3 day weekends, and I'm thinking of riding up to High Point one Thursday eve and camping the night and setting off from High Point on Friday morn. Let me know if anyone is interested in riding some/all/part of this route with me. I am a noob in the dirt, so I'm not sure how much of that I'll be doing, but I love gravel and hardpack stuff, and of course pavement.
__________________
2009 Suzuki DR650
tedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSki
A friend of mine from Jackson wanted to go riding this weekend. I have just moved back here and never really have ridden roads here. I grew up here in Sayreville, but not with a motorcycle. I only fell in love with them once I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area (go figure). So, we'd already had ridden up near Rt. 6 in NY and all over Bear Mtn. and all over the areas of Stokes that were familiar to me. So, this time, I decided to take the "FR" sections of the TNJT and reverse them from Jackson to High Point and ride them. Well, in all honesty, FR meant Follow Road, which to him meant Follow Pavement, but I quietly knew FR just meant it was an actual road. What else would you expect from AdvRider? So, we set off, and before we even finished Section 4-1, he was ready to depart from our route. In his defense, he was on a Triumph 675 which I couldn't imagine would be neither comfortable or fun on gravel roads. Well, all in all, I had a blast with the little that we did ride, and can't wait to ride the rest.

Which brings me to a question: Does anyone want to ride this damn thing?! I get 3 day weekends, and I'm thinking of riding up to High Point one Thursday eve and camping the night and setting off from High Point on Friday morn. Let me know if anyone is interested in riding some/all/part of this route with me. I am a noob in the dirt, so I'm not sure how much of that I'll be doing, but I love gravel and hardpack stuff, and of course pavement.
I rode it earilier this year: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244610

Download the word document for instructions on navigation so you don't loose the trail.

It can easily be done in three days. Section 6 will take the longest and is the most difficult terrain to ride and has the most navigational challenges. Also, expect some overgrown trail this time of year.

Sections 1-4 contain mostly twisties and gravel roads, just fun fast stuff.

I suggest camping at High Point, Bull's Island (If no Vacancy ride south to Wasthington's Crossing Campground) and Bass River. That breaks up the sections quite nicely. I included plenty of campgrounds with phone numbers as waypoints on the map so be sure to check out the waypoints before going. The world document also has campgrounds listed as well.

I suggest posting a ride in the East forum and I'm sure you'll get plenty of riders to join you for at least one day. I found it hard go get people to commit for three days. Out of the 20 or so riders I put together for a ride in July only 6 finished the entire route.

Let me know when you go and maybe I'll join you. I may have some free time in October.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
Johnny X
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Johnny X's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Harrisonville PA
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSki

Which brings me to a question: Does anyone want to ride this damn thing?! I get 3 day weekends, and I'm thinking of riding up to High Point one Thursday eve and camping the night and setting off from High Point on Friday morn. Let me know if anyone is interested in riding some/all/part of this route with me. I am a noob in the dirt, so I'm not sure how much of that I'll be doing, but I love gravel and hardpack stuff, and of course pavement.
ted - i did 2 separate day trips on this trail over labor day weekend and had a ball. i am planning on going back for more as soon as time permits. FYI i too an a newb when it comes to dirt riding (last weekend was my first crack at it) if you want to ride some of this anytime PM me and i'm game.

i'd prefer to go south rather than north... i started at highpoint and headed south last time and stopped at around the middle of the trail. looks to me like the southern end has a lot more dirt/gravel. up north it was mostly paved. fun roads regardless, but unless i was doing something wrong all paved.
Johnny X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #14
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny X
up north it was mostly paved. fun roads regardless, but unless i was doing something wrong all paved.
Mostly paved, if you didn't hit any gravel and dirt roads in the northern sections you definatly did something wrong. There are some nice dirt/gravel roads along the route that were skipped in an effort to save time but I'm thinking about sticking them back in along with an updated Section 5 route that extends through Wharton.

Don't expect gravel in the southern half, expect sand!

If you need any direction or have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Also, don't forget to ride the PB500 in October! http://PineBarrens500.org
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #15
Johnny X
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Johnny X's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Harrisonville PA
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
Mostly paved, if you didn't hit any gravel and dirt roads in the northern sections you definatly did something wrong.
rob - its very possible. the first time out was also my first time using the GPS so it took awhile to get the hang of it. i did hit quite a bit of gravel later in the day, but i'd say the morning was entierly paved. i am headed out again in the am and i will go over the map again.. perhaps i'll start up north and see if i can't get it right this time.

Quote:
There are some nice dirt/gravel roads along the route that were skipped in an effort to save time but I'm thinking about sticking them back in along with an updated Section 5 route that extends through Wharton.
that would be awesome. i'm in Lincoln Park NJ so that area is relatively close to me.

Quote:
Don't expect gravel in the southern half, expect sand!
not sure i'm quite ready for that yet. maybe soon!

thanks man!

-j
Johnny X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014