Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 04:57 PM   #31
Quigley
Seldom Dropped Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,089
Quote:
Said Javarilla:
Football's fer pussies. I almost knocked down Bosworth (but, who hasn't) one day at the pussyfood place in Bellevue about 15 years back. Nah, for a real contact sport ya gotta get into some one on one in the interspecies leagues...

I mean, every GS rider is ex-rodeo, right?
Hey Javarilla, it only takes 8 seconds!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:04 PM   #32
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Said Quigley:
Hey Javarilla, it only takes 8 seconds!
But it's a really loooong 8 seconds. Time expands when your lifespan is contracting.
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 01:37 PM   #33
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Anyone else have a prediction for the Super Bowl?
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2003, 01:41 PM   #34
Quigley
Seldom Dropped Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,089
Quote:
Said RubberDown:
Anyone else have a prediction for the Super Bowl?
Besides the Bronco's being there, I'm just not sure who they will be playing!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:32 PM   #35
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,061
Anyone who accurately guesses the Superbowl contestants and winner is lucky, not skillful. The NFL has successfully leveled the league to uniform mediocrity.

It's exciting, because you never know who's going to win. But it's also frustrating to pick games, because dominant teams really don't exist. The talent is spread so thin that injuries are more likely now, than in the past, to take a team out of contention.

Having said all of that, some teams look more interesting than others. The Rams still have a lot of talent. If they can ovecome suspect quarterbacking and maintain intensity on defense, they might be there.

I love the Skins, but Mr. Spurrier will still be looking to make the playoffs for the first time, next training camp. Massive problem in the defensive line, no running game (if the Rams can't make a speedy runner successful, no reason to believe that the 'Skins can) and a big question mark at QB.

Until the injury to Mike Vick, the Falcons were kinda exciting. Doug Johnson's a very capable backup, but obviously he can't make yards the way Vick could. Their defense and their running game need a boost, if they hope to be a playoff contender. A team worth watching when Vick returns.

The Cobwboys should stink, but in a most compelling way. Bill Parcells is many things, but dull is not on the list. He's been dealt a bad hand at QB - two duds and no prospects. But I'll bet they play tenacious defense, keep most games tight and win some they shouldn't. I don't like him, but I have to respect his results.

Pittsburgh is a testament to Bill Cowher's willpower. He simply refuses to let his teams give up. Gotta like that, although he does seem to have a way of going through assistant coaches. Blame game? Two questions: is Tommy Maddox really that good, or will he suffer from the 'sophomore jinx'; and who replaces the broken-down Bus?

Dunno about Tampa Bay. The way they're treating Warren Sapp may affect team spirit. Just how good is that offense? Will they play as insipired football as they did last year?

I'd love to see KC do well. I always liked Vermeil. But personally, I give more credit to the people around him, than to him, for the Rams Superbowl victory. I think the front office did too. I'd love to be proven wrong. But they have an awful lot to prove on defense. Their stud running back may be done. For his career. And their quarterback still freaks out and tosses the ball to the wrong colored jersey from time to time. Fun, but lots of question marks.

Does anyone on this planet think that Mike Tice has a clue how to turn the Vikings into winners? Didn't think so.

What a shame for good guy coach Herman Edwards and the New York Jets. To lose your prize QB like that in the preseason just blows. Especially after successfully overcoming such adversity last season.

Anyway, the difference between being a winner and a loser in the NFL is miniscule. Which means that we're as likely to see the Eagles win the Superbowl as we are the Chargers. It's just a freaking tossup. I'm glad that I don't bet on the games anymore.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:21 PM   #36
nachtflug OP
infidel

Oddometer: 45,905
re: lucky not skillful

as if it ever was skill?

your statement contradicts itself.

if the once dominant teams were dominant..then picking them was no skill right?

now, there is parity, and if someone can pick a winner and explain why going in to the season, I think he deserves some credit for his picking it right.

if me, or you, or even Rabia picked the 49ers in the mid 80's to win, and they did, it was hardly a skillfull deed.

football is cool. but the really skillful fan, and there aint many, knows that the winner of any given game amounts to absolutely nothing. and if you want that proven, take your average rabid football fan, hand him a ticket from a mid season Sunday from 2 years past, where the games have already been played and forgotten, and see if he can pick any better then he can for this coming weekend.

I hung around a pretty rabid football betting gin mill from 78-82, watched averaage Joes go from betting 10-20 bucks to 100-200, and watched some with deeper pockets go from betting 100-200 to 1000, 2000, a few times $5K on a game, and you look back on it and you wonder...why? who cares now?

Its fun but when it all comes down to it it means zero-zilch-nothing. Poor Danny White went to 3 NFC title games in a row and lost them all. And now the defending champs are the...Buccaneers!!!!

Go figure.

So far the thing I heard that makes the most sense is New England from the AFC. Time will tell.

I only have one wish for this year. Someone get that fucking asshole Jeremy Shockey and break his ribs.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #37
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Said wxwax:
Does anyone on this planet think that Mike Tice has a clue how to turn the Vikings into winners? Didn't think so.
I think he got thrown into the fire when Denny Green got run out of town and in retrospect he wasn't really ready to be an NFL head coach. I'm not sure if he can turn the Vikings around, but as a fan I sure hope he does a better job of coaching this year. The Vikings still need a lot more talent before they can consider themselves a playoff caliber team so I think Mike Tice takes some of the blame that belongs on the front office. The Vikings are 9.4 million under the salary cap The owner doesn't spend the money because he's bent on trying to move or sell the Vikes.

If you ask me, they should just move Arizona to Los Angeles and call it good.....they are 14.6 million under the cap and their owner could care less if they win a game this year or not. Arizona is simply a farm team for other teams.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:48 PM   #38
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Said wxwax:
Having said all of that, some teams look more interesting than others.
what about the Tennessee Titans
Old 09-04-2003, 05:36 PM   #39
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,061
Quote:
Said RubberDown:
what about the Tennessee Titans
Sure. Great coach, veteran QB, decent defense. Like Pittsburgh, they always seem to rally by season's end. Things have to break right for them, and their QB has to stay healthy (not his specialty.) Totally in the mix.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #40
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Said wxwax:
Sure. Great coach, veteran QB, decent defense. Like Pittsburgh, they always seem to rally by season's end. Things have to break right for them, and their QB has to stay healthy (not his specialty.) Totally in the mix.
Totally agree with Waxy on this. Jeff Fisher is a helluva coach, the most underrated in the NFL. And if McNair stays healthy, watch out.
A few quick observations and predictions:
I think Kurt Warner is back to his old form with the Rams. I hope so. Think he's a cool guy. Not sure they have enough other horses, though.
Falcons are toast without Vick. Buh-bye.
It'll be interesting to see what Kordell Stewart does with the Bears. And I don't mean in the locker room.
Steelers are always in the mix. Another great coach in Cowher. I think I could start at QB and they'd 10 games.
Browns will blow. They suck. It's a young franchise without a plan and now with a dead owner. I don't expect them to improve much.
Bengals will be better under Marvin Lewis ... only because they can't get worse. Give 'em a year or three and they might rise to .500.
Raiders will be good again. Gruden's a great coach and Brad Johnson's damned good too. Repeat? I doubt it. Hard to do it in the NFL.
What will Dick Vermeil do with the Chiefs in their third year under him? They're due for a turnaround.
Giants look to be improved. Jim Fassel's a clever sumbitch.
Super Bowl: Titans Vs. Bucs in Super Bowl. Titans win.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:47 PM   #41
Krautbikeman
Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer: 5,474
Quote:
Said fish:
Gold Rush!
Is it me, or is there any one amongst that group who is less than a 36D?

What a display of bewbies!

Oh, and BTW, Tampa Bay vs Kansas City, KC wins 31-27.
What I want is to be able to fulfill my basic obligations to my family, help out those I can, and never fuck anybody for a handful of silver. If I can laugh while doing so, and ride, and explore, I will consider myself blessed beyond what I deserve.

Jinx

Want to ride better? Basic/Experienced street and Dirt Bike classes. www.adventureridertraining.com
Krautbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #42
Hillbilly
Inbred Mountaineer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Said Krautbikeman:
Is it me, or is there any one amongst that group who is less than a 36D?

What a display of bewbies!

Oh, and BTW, Tampa Bay vs Kansas City, KC wins 31-27.
The first and foremost criteria for the position of NFL Cheerleader is talent, I'm sure. But I bet at the end of the first day of tryouts they always miraculously find that the talented girls also have large breasts. Ain't America wonderful?
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:13 AM   #43
nachtflug OP
infidel

Oddometer: 45,905
Lawrence Taylors going to be on 60 minutes tonight to talk about crack and hookers.

the Dolphins suck.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:20 AM   #44
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Said nachtflug:
Lawrence Taylors going to be on 60 minutes tonight to talk about crack and hookers.

the Dolphins suck.
Who fucking cares about Lawrence Taylor anymore?
He's been out of the game for years and everybody knows he's a fucking crackhead.

Oh, and the Dolphins suck.
But so do the Giants.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:34 AM   #45
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,806
GO CHIEFS!!

if only the defense can stop tomlinson today..

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: