User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 10:17 AM   #1
MotoDaveL OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
the 2015 headphone thread

Okay, I know that there have been a number of threads before this one but though a 2015 renewal was in order.

I am looking for something low profile so they dont come off when putting on the helmet, block out road noise and have acceptable sound quality

I have tried JVC marshmallows which I found quite good but ultimately I would end up having to put on and take off my helmet 3 or 4 times as each time I would put the helmet on I would knock one out of my ears. Sound quality was decent and it did seem to block out some noise.

EarFuze - Quite good for blocking out sound but the quality of the actual earphone is dollarstore quality. They lasted less than a month before one ear was noticeably much quieter than the other and after a few months one side died entirely. I emailed them numerous times about this issue and never heard back until I used very angry language in my email. I will not buy these again due to the very poor sound quality and atrocious customer service.

I see that Decibullz is now up and running. Does anyone have experience with these?. http://www.decibullz.com/

Are there any other reasonably priced alternatives that I am missing. (sub $100??)
MotoDaveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:27 AM   #2
Tread
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore

I loved my er6i's until they finally gave out a couple years ago. I bought a bunch of earphones since - expensive and cheap - but nothing fit my ear right. I read some good reviews of the Carbo Tenore and decided to give them a shot. These are the bomb. Audio quality is excellent and they form a comfortable seal in my ear. They are cheap, too. Currently $37 on Amazon. I bought 3 more when the price dropped to $32 for a while.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2015 KTM 350exc
Tread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #3
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDaveL View Post
Are there any other reasonably priced alternatives that I am missing. (sub $100??)
Spend the money and get a set that's made specifically to do what you're looking for. There's no off-the-shelf earbud that's going to give you good sound, good hearing protection, and be low-profile enough to be comfortable in a helmet. A set of custom-molded earbuds like these is what you need:

http://www.plugup.com/custom_made_ea...budss_s/73.htm

Before you complain that they're $240 (or $290 if you buy the dual-driver version) I'll simply ask... what's the total cost of all the "sub-$100" earbuds have you bought looking for the right ones? If you're like me, probably way in excess of $290.
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #4
kniepm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I may not ride a KLR, but I'm thrifty.

I love these for $5 from Monoprice. Good enough sound quality and low enough profile to not interfere when donning or doffing the helmet.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
kniepm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:54 AM   #5
Tread
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Spend the money and get a set that's made specifically to do what you're looking for. There's no off-the-shelf earbud that's going to give you good sound, good hearing protection, and be low-profile enough to be comfortable in a helmet...
Wrong. I have some custom molded earphones and IME, they were better than average, but did not always seal great and we're kind of fiddly to put in. FWIW, you referenced Plugup and I don't have experience with their custom molds but I do have a pair of their dual driver earbuds. For my ear, those are not all day comfortable as they need to be inserted too far in the ear canal. Also, the sound does not rival that of the Zero Audio earbuds I mentioned above.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2015 KTM 350exc
Old Today, 11:58 AM   #6
Tread
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniepm View Post
I may not ride a KLR, but I'm thrifty.

I love these for $5 from Monoprice. Good enough sound quality and low enough profile to not interfere when donning or doffing the helmet.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
I can never get those mushroom shaped silicone tips to seal worth a damn. Only double flanged seem to work for me.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2015 KTM 350exc
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #7
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tread View Post
Wrong. I have some custom molded earphones and IME, they were better than average, but did not always seal great and we're kind of fiddly to put in. FWIW, you referenced Plugup and I don't have experience with their custom molds but I do have a pair of their dual driver earbuds. For my ear, those are not all day comfortable as they need to be inserted too far in the ear canal. Also, the sound does not rival that of the Zero Audio earbuds I mentioned above.
First off, I don't think that all custom-molded earbuds are created equal. The initial ear mold is made using a two part impression material. Some companies use this putty for the final earbud. This material isn't really flexible enough to seal well or be comfortable. The more expensive custom-molded earbud makers take the initial impression and make a mold from it to cast the final earbud, which is made of silicone. These are FAR more comfortable and seals much, much better (plus they last longer). A good company will also stand behind the product, so if they're too long or just not comfortable, they should re-mold and re-cast them until you get a pair that fits perfectly. Plugup.com is certainly not the only place that makes good custom-molded earbuds, but there are tons of folks on Advrider, myself included, that use them and have had great success with them. They are also repairable. The wire on my first pair got caught in a zipper and was cut. I sent them back to Marilyn and she replaced all the wires with new ones for a fraction of the cost of a new pair. Try that with off-the-shelf earbuds.
Old Today, 04:09 PM   #8
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,733
I've been searching for a er6i replacement---mine are still fine but a couple of years old and likely to crap out sometime in the near future.

Tried the $199 Shure 315's and they're a great headphone but dislodged no matter how careful I tried to put on my helmet. Sold them on eBay.

I like the look of the Zero Audio posted here...but I agree the single mushroom earpiece is useless for motorcycle use. I wonder if the triple-flanged earpiece would fit on the headphones? I guess for $38, I can take a chance.
Old Today, 04:14 PM   #9
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
www.plugfones.com

I've been using these for years.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:51 PM   #10
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,667
Etymotic HF5's have become my go-to phones. They stick out a bit farther than the ER-6's but not enough to be an issue. They have all the great sound isolating qualities that the ER-6's had and better sound.

BTW, i have tried the custom mold a couple of times with no success. They work great in the audiologist's office but not in the helmet. My theory is that my ear canals get changed slightly by the pressure of the helmet. YMMV.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:57 PM   #11
Tread
Gnarly Adventurer

The er6i double flange tips DO fit on the Zero Audio earbuds pretty securely, so I guess that the triple flange would fit too. It's a little bit of a stretch, but it works. Etymotic has discontinued the double flange tips. I had to look in the package again to recall that the earphones come with 3 sizes of single flange tips. The medium works pretty good for me, but looking back, I actually purchased some double flange tips from Meelectronics.com that work awesome (Part #TS3-DF-35-BK). These sound a lot better that the er6i. More bass, but not boomy. The downside, according to some of the reviews, is that you can pull too hard and the cord can start to pull away from the driver units. I have not experienced this yet, and at $32 - $38 a piece, I am willing to take a risk.

BTW, I tried the Etymotic MC5 and they are a no go. Way too big and don't seal worth a damn.

2010 BMW R1200GS
2015 KTM 350exc
Old Today, 07:21 PM   #12
Moonbutt
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Westone Alpha adventure series. Hands down the best headphones I've ever used on a bike. They loop over your ear and are flush enough that they don't get knocked off when donning or doffing your helmet. AND they have squishy ear plug like ear bud tips that cut out so much of the road noise I feel like I'm in a car! Water resistant to 3 metres, shock proof, dust proof... They're literally perfect.
Moonbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:23 PM   #13
Moonbutt
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Oh, and I've used them in a shoei rf1200 (super snug sport bike helmet) and an arai xd4 (looser adventure bike helmet) without any issues
Moonbutt is offline   Reply With Quote