User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
Oldtimer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Pissed Rick Mayer seat rip off

Years ago i did a ride in on my KLR and left with an amazingly different seat. So when I needed another seat done, I called and made another ride in appointment. He contacted me later and asked if I could send it instead I agreed and sent it in August. That's the last I saw of it. Twice, once by his female office help and once by him, I was told it had been sent but he couldn't give me the tracking number. Claimed that UPS would send it to me. Finally I recently refuted the charges on my CC and was refunded the money and bought another stock seat on eBay. It was cheaper than driving out from Texas to get my old seat back, if he even had it. I must say that in dealing with him before and talking to him at times, I really liked him but four months with my bike down was long enough regardless of his issues.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 52,349
He has had this issue, and screwed many since at least 2003: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546066

I was screwed twice!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
And here: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...t-and-MY-money

I eventually got a seat back. No real improvement, but the song and dance that sheister does is pathetic.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 462
Been going on for awhile

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...t-and-MY-money

Sorry you got screwed.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,369
http://www.dontbuyrickmayercycle.com/
Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,265
Took your seat, never sent it back? That's theft! Yes, you got the money back you paid...but why aren't you filing a criminal complaint for the seat?
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Try Terry Adcox in Manchester TN. He just did a seat for my DL650 and is running about 3-4 weeks for delivery. He is a one man show working out of a small shop on his property and he has a very good rep. Contact info:

Terry's Custom Seats
248 Deford Lane.
Manchester TN 37355
phone # 931-841-2620

And, try Nate Fisher with Fisher saddlebags. I have on of his on my DRZ400S...excellent seat and also a great rep:

http://www.fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
Oldtimer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
Took your seat, never sent it back? That's theft! Yes, you got the money back you paid...but why aren't you filing a criminal complaint for the seat?
Mainly because at 78, the aggravation is just not worth it. I replaced the seat from an eBay purchase for $36.00 and I'll send it off for a new cover.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,343
I have a Rick Mayer seat and LOVE it. It's a huge improvement over stock. I met him at the 2013 BMW MOA rally in Oregon. He talked to me about what I wanted and took some measurements. I then sent him the seat and got it back in a fairly timely manner. I have nothing negative to say about him.

This being said, since then a friend who was at the same rally sent his seat into him after hearing of my wonderful experience. It had been many many months and he still did not have the seat back and was having trouble getting in touch with him. I don't know whether he has the seat now or not. I haven't talked to him in awhile.

After he told me about his experience, I did some Googling and found that he's screwed many. That's too bad, because I was planning on giving him my business again for future bikes... But now I'm not so sure about that...

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
Guano11
Trending (downward)

Oddometer: 1,322
I placed an order at his booth when the MC show was in town. As soon as he said, "Your card will be charged immediately" I shoulda walked away .
The build backlog put me at 3 months out with a 2-week turn time, plenty of time to make the riding season.

I'll spare the details, but I waited much longer than expected to send the seat, then again MUCH longer to get the seat back, all despite A LOT of inquiry & correspondence. I was veerry patient & missed the whole riding season and a lot of commuting with that bike....but what could I do? He had my seat AND my money!

I eventually got the seat back, it's more comfortable than stock (though it doesn't look that great; I can see the layers of stacked foam outlined on the sides) , and was a much cheaper than all other alternatives, due largely to the (planned) off-season build and $100 show discount.

But I won't send him another.

Guano11 screwed with this post 11-06-2014 at 07:06 AM
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,352
I see it's time for the annual, "Let's Lynch Rick" thread!

Rick has made me three seats for my bikes over 10-15 years. I have never had a problem with him. The seats worked as advertised.

I found his communication not so great. This makes him probably his own worst enemy.

It did seem to take longer than expected to get the seat, but that's why I ordered it over the Winter.

Amazing that someone went to the trouble to make an anti-Rick website. Get a life..

He did ignore my request to build one seat as low as possible, but did add in a free rain cover I didn't order.

The price for an off season build was great.

I ordered one Russell seat, paid twice as much as with Rick. It was nice too, but I saw no evidence it was custom made to my specs, looked like every other Russell I ever saw. I tried it on my GT but it made it very uncomfortable when coming to a stoplight with those big wings sticking out front and it was so high with all the padding. I think a Russell would be better on my GSA, but would make it too tall to reach the ground.

I sold that Russell and went back to the Sargent that came with my used bike. The Sargent is marginally more comfortable than the OEM BMW seat, certainly not worth the $6-700 they ask.

So, in my experience, I did better with Rick than the others. Go figure.

Just my data point. YMMV. Blah, blah.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Oldtimer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, let me understand this. If you get screwed by someone, keep it to yourself so that others aren't aware. If you let others know, you "have no life." That is certainly a different perspective. BTW, I wasn't aware it was an annual bashing. Apparently according to you, people (with no life) have been complaining for some time.

Oldtimer screwed with this post 11-06-2014 at 08:51 AM
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #13
max384
Disgruntled Student

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 11-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #14
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I have a Rick Mayer seat and LOVE it. It's a huge improvement over stock. I met him at the 2013 BMW MOA rally in Oregon....
I was at that rally and saw that his brother Bill was selling seats, but didn't know Rick was there too. No experience with either builder, but I do trust the opinions of the other inmates here and that did influence my decision to purchase a Russell Barcalounger
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I was at that rally and saw that his brother Bill was selling seats, but didn't know Rick was there too. No experience with either builder, but I do trust the opinions of the other inmates here and that did influence my decision to purchase a Russell Barcalounger
I talked briefly with Bill, and my impression of him was that he was a real asshole. I refused to give him a dime after a two minute conversion, he was that bad.

Of course, everybody had their off days, and maybe I just caught him at a bad time, but still...

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014