Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:54 AM   #1
Nailhead OP
Free at last!

Oddometer: 6,328
Question My Seat Feels Like a Park Bench...

...and I've got a long ride coming up.

I did 260 miles yesterday. Big deal, I know, but my ass feels I spent the day sitting on a rock.

i've considered an Airhawk, and an Alaskan sheepskin pad has been recommended, but I want to see what other ideas are out there. Lower-budget ones; a new seat isn't in my budget right now.

I bought the gel seat I'm riding as a solution to this problem, but it ain't working out.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '93 Ducati 900 SS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #2
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
Gel is terrible stuff for a seat.

It moves pressure from your sit bones where it should be, to soft tissue where it should not be. That works for some people, not for others

Seats are the most personal part of the bike, so I won't tell what to try next. I found the Airhawk to be pretty good, but a Corbin Saddle was better.
Old Today, 11:00 AM   #3
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,538
An Airhawk can make a horrible seat bearable, and a bearable seat good. IF you set it up properly. If not, then it makes either type of seat worse.
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #4
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 9,008
How much actual saddle time have you got?

It may be simply that your arse needs to "acclimatise" to the new saddle...aka break it in...

or. of course, it could be a shite saddle.

You could always have a crack at improving the seat yourself btw - DIY style - there's loads of videos on the topic on youtube and all it really takes is a decent staple gun and some foam.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 PM   #5
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,685
Those beaded seat covers are surprisingly comfortable for me, I think because the surface is varied and allows air to circulate and rain to drain away.

I got an $8 buck beaded cover for a car seat, cut it to size, and spray painted it black. This was years ago and I still use it. It was certainly worth the $8 bucks as an experiment, and it worked out well.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #6
retiredgentleman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I'm also interested in improving the comfort of my seat, on my1978 XS650 Special. I have no problem with 400 km rides, but I just did a 650 km ride, and my butt was sore.

The air hawk is starting to look good. Anymore believers in this manufacturer?

Does anyone know where to buy some high quality foam, so I could make my own cushion? Most foam I see for sale is just too soft and offers no support.
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:40 PM   #7
mcrider18
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I have an original Airhawk which I've found to be beneficial during long rides. I don't use it for daily or short rides though. Once I discovered the Alaskan Sheepskin covers I've never looked back. I use them on a couple of my bikes and highly recommend them. I only take them off when riding in the rain or washing the bikes.

For a less expensive option, a beaded seat cover has worked work well for me too. Similar to the Airhawk, I only used one on long rides and not for daily purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
...and I've got a long ride coming up.

I did 260 miles yesterday. Big deal, I know, but my ass feels I spent the day sitting on a rock.

i've considered an Airhawk, and an Alaskan sheepskin pad has been recommended, but I want to see what other ideas are out there. Lower-budget ones; a new seat isn't in my budget right now.

I bought the gel seat I'm riding as a solution to this problem, but it ain't working out.
Old Today, 01:47 PM   #8
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
How much actual saddle time have you got?

It may be simply that your arse needs to "acclimatise" to the new saddle...aka break it in...
I bought my GSX 650 about 45 miles away & on the first ride home I determined that the seat had to go. Unfortunately, I had just spent my last dollar on the new bike, so I just lived with it. By the time I had 5,000 miles on it (1 year), I could toss off 450 miles days with minimal discomfort. I'm not sure wether the seat or my butt "broke in", but either way, it worked. I'm happy with the seat & I've saved the cost of a Sargent or Corbin.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #9
rotarywing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
A great long term solution is a Corbin seat but I realize that's not in the cards for now so try a pair of motoskivez. Best riding underwear I ever tried, and I had most of them in the past. I got four pair for street riding and four pairs for ADV style riding.