Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #1816
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelsfar View Post
This thread has provided lots of ideas and advice on what to take/not to take, I'm waiting to hit stateside and pick up an new Sport Tourer (2011 Triumph Sprint GT) and do some camping, which is why I started looking for ideas / advice and found this thread. My other bike is an HD X Bones and hadn't thought of setting it up for camping, then after reading all through this thread I posted pretty much the same request on the HD forum, big difference on that end, most hotel or bring the RV, just laughing at the disparity between the two.

Welcome Travelsfar. This is an ADVENTURE forum so most here are into the great outdoors when traveling. I also own a HD Electra Glide but it is for sightseeing with the wife and motel surfing. Out on my own it's the KLR and camping gear! Good luck on your stateside adventure and post up some trip reports.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #1817
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,012
3 days worth of crap fit in the Giant Loop, the blue thingy is a roll up cooler for camp.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #1818
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
well we finally took some pics of how my stuff packed up on our last outing. I'm heading out in about a week for another trip(keeping fingers crossed that I will find a spot to hang my hammock. I know alot of the stuff I have is foreign to most of you due to me using a hammock but figure I would go ahead and post it up for anyone interested.

Left side case: in lid portion: Warbonnett Blackbird 1.7 DBL layer hammock, Warbonnett big mambajamba Spin UL tarp, compressible pillow. In left box portion: Jacks r better Underquilt and Jacks r better top quilt.

Right side case: in lid portion: crocs(can't leave without 'em), Sawyer gravity water filter system, Pro Hiker pump water filter system, right side box portion: jetboil, alcohol stove, headlamp, misc camping supplies.

Top box: ipad, couple sets of gloves, ballcap etc. (I could go without the top case but just take it for extra room incase I need/want to bring something home. I also tie the hiking poles/kermit chairs to the top of the jesse bags(thank goodness for rok straps and all the extra space in the Jesse lids)!

'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #1819
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Great thread Greg!
Need to read all of it. Will certainly learn some packing tips.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #1820
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace420 View Post
You can buy a used motorcycle for as much as one of those trailers. Those guys are nuts, for a tiny fiberglass shell on some tiny trailer. You have to be kidding me.

Go and price out quality name brand racks, adapters, 3 TRAX or Givi or Zega type bags, tailights and a backrest. Guess what? Same price as the trailer. And with luggage, I find the bike becomes top heavy. That was the most important part for me, being 5'4" and 29" inseam. I tried triple bag soft luggage first...... Had a hard time managing the bike at walking speeds and getting it off of the sidestand.....especially, and getiing on and off was a kickstand down, climb over, then kicksatnd up affair. My inseam is short enough that I cannot back up any bike without dismounting and pushing it backwards, then remounting....even on level ground. The trailer places it's load's centre of mass only 6" from the ground.

I first was interested in a trailer after following Francios, the guy who used to manage the CRoT at Deals Gap, thru the Dragon with his Uni-Go behind his VFR. But a Uni-Go was $3800 US at the time (June 2004). The UNi-Go was then made in New Zealand. They are cheaper now and made in Ohio. However, they haven't improved their very short, cantilevered swingarm, with straight rate spring and no shock absorber yet, or their thin dual cradle frame, that is pronne t breakage in the front of the body. I also found many owners of Uni-Go's all complain about the weave induced on the freeway while passing transport trucks. This made me wary.
The cost kept me away......then I started researching luggage again when I started sport touring with soft luggage on my GSXR. I didn't like my stuff unsecure,a nd vulnerable to theives and rain. No one made quick release racks for a GSXR, so at the very best, I'd need to get some late model FZ1 racks from S&W Mototec, and cut and weld to fit. I wanted something that came off easy and didnt leave an ugly scaffold on the bike with the luggage removed.

Once I priced out a whole luggage system, it was a couple grand. Then I remembered Francois's trailer from Deals Gap, so I looked into that type of unit. I found the UNi-Go, nice styleing wise but pricey. The Cyclops, cheaper, but long, heavy, primitive in the suspension department, and agricultural in style and finish....... An hr from my home, Third WHeel Trailers was in operation. I went to their shop and they spent hrs showing me prototypes, and revisions, up to their current model. They also make sport hitch systems for their main competitor, Uni-Go, so they have a Uni-Go on site for fitment testing. Even Uni-Go sees the merit of 3rdWheel's hitch design that requires no hitch mounting on the bike, and no tongue weight to be placed on the bike's rear suspension at all. While I was in their shop , we compared the UNi-Go to the 3rdWheel in many aspects, and flat out, the 3rdWheel is cheaper, lighter, way more sophisticated, much better suspension design and geometery, and is far better handling. It is also the only one of them that has a shock absorber to quell repeated bouncing caused by the spring.

The trailer has double the luggage capacity of a OEM Goldwing....and more than any aftermarket system I have yet seen, with just over 155 litres of space, in the small version like mine, and almost 200 litres in the bigger one. Inside it has a lighter socket that charges my laptop/ipod/cameras/batteries/cell phone while I ride, also powers a small air compressor should I need it roadside. It also has an interior light,a nd super visible and bright Hella signals and LED tailights. Furthermore, the trailer has a VIN, and is a real trailer in the eyes of the DMV/MTO. HAs it's own title, and tag. Has DOT approval. It is re-saleable, and has way more long term value than luggage and racks. It also pops on and off the bike, and wheels into my garage or motel room in 30 seconds or less.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike

omnivore screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 07:58 PM
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #1821
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
My most recent ride, 2 wks ago: 2 and a half tanks of gas that day, LOL.
Attached Images

1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #1822
Ace420
DRZ400S

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
me, being 5'4" and 29" inseam
Something I didn't even think of. I am 6' tall so even the tallest bikes and heaviest bikes are generally not going to be a problem. Rode one of those huge Honda Gullwing (I think that is what it is called) 6cyl, full luggage built in, stereo, heat, passanger arm rests, etc, you get the picture and it was a dream to ride.

Anyway, I see how a trailer might be the only option for some. By the way, your setup looks sweet! I love those GSXR's but for me that riding position is not an option.

Ace420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #1823
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,452
Goldwing
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #1824
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 815
Wink

This was taken a few months ago when we rode around the olympic peninsula. Amazing ride on the 101. Just skip Forks, WA because thats where all the Twitards go.

Theres still gonna be more revising to my packing plans. Next time im bringing my queen sized inflateable mattress and loading it on top of the left pannier. That way were actually going to get some sleep and my wife will then have 2 arm rests.

A must for loaded down bikes that will be seeing any offroading

I love my little power inverter. Charges our iphones while riding and our air mattress blower can run off it. Its a BMW powerlett (just a smaller cigerette lighter)

On-Board air is a must. Sometimes you gotta air down or if you happen to get a flat its just great to have

And great lighting is always something everybody needs, especially on bikes. Other people definitly see you and you can see them along with wildlife. Saved my butt a few times because I was able to see deer before they decided to pop out.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #1825
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,452
On board air...please tell us more....

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #1826
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
On board air...please tell us more....

Thanks
Fred
+1
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #1827
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
PAcked up on the new rack I just built for the 990. Everything goes inside the bags.
Attached Images

4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #1828
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
OMG...how many months are you away.Thats a LOT of cra...um stuff
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #1829
storman113
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Have two 45L Trax cases. The bag, tent, pad, Kermit all now in a large Helentwowheels bag. Top case is empty. Use it for helmet storage when stopped and grocery's (beer) at last stop before camp.

Home made tubes fit inside case mount. Carry tools, extra straps etc.

Cases un/re mount very easy. Make good table's when free style camping.

Tent does have complete rain fly when needed.

Next project is to mount mirrors from a GS so I can see over the cases. That way I can strap things on if needed.

Also whole package does good job of hiding my fat butt!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #1830
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by storman113 View Post

Next project is to mount mirrors from a GS so I can see over the cases. That way I can strap things on if needed.
Do yourself a favor and get Double take mirrors.

If you really want GS mirrors I will sell you mine because after living with the Double take mirrors I want them on all my bikes now. Huge improvement....

There is a link in Vendors. I am not associated with them, just a very happy customer
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote