Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #1876
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
with that setup above, man, i had everything! portable grill, (the tube kind, looked like a steel pipe packed up) MSR stove, blackline cookset, Ti utensils and cup, tons of fire fuel, ground cloth, sleeping pad, pillow, camp towel, spare fuel bottle for moped, 2 stroke oil, and fuel for the stove. headlight (for my head) lightbulbs and spark plugs.

and thats just the panniers.

the black box on the back held my cell charger, pocket knife(s) set of police leg shackles (to lock bike up) paperwork like insurance, gps charger and flashlight.

on the back are some clothes in the sil stuff sack, my camera case (which sat in the faring while riding short distances near the gps or in the black box on longer boring shots) and my sleeping bag

the thing on the tank between my legs is my dang tent. huge and heavy

in the back pack was a water bladder, gerber machete and clothes, with a few misc things.

and on the front fender is the tool kit.

whew.
Attached Images

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #1877
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,804
In the same spirit of not knocking ya Rev, I don't get why you carry that much gear if you & your moped are staying in motels (maybe sometimes) .

I get tempted comment on some of the behemoth loads posted up here, but I figure people do what THEY need to do in THEIR circumstances. You say that you carry a hammock and a tarp and how small that all is. That's great if there are trees where you set up camp everytime. As someone who heads out to remote desert virtually every ride it's near impossible to find 1 strong tree, never mind 2 close together, therefore a hammock would be as useful as tits on a bull out there ... so I carry a tent. It's a bit more bulky, but necessary.

I'm heading out next week on a 2000mi, 5-day ride where I have to carry on the bike 2 gallons of spare of fuel (there'll be 5 more gallons waiting for me at a GPS drop site), 3 gallons of water and food for 5 days... it is THAT remote. I'll post up some pics here when I get back.

I'm no master at this 'pack small' concept (but I strive) so I read this thread with interest and understand that there is no way I should critique someone else's setup (oversized or undersized) because I have no way of knowing all of their circumstances.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #1878
caljon88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112

2009 HUMMER H3 Adventure (not a bike but it's an adventure machine)
caljon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #1879
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,027
Last weekend:

Headed out for 5 days offroad with this same setup at lunchtime today
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #1880
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 476
Jed Clampett style on a 37 day trip to Alaska.

Camping at the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway.

Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #1881
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
ok, i had to reply to this because its kinda funny.

i know a lot of (if not most) you guys take a whole bunch of stuff, and have really nice bikes all decked out, but i just dont see what it all is!

i rode xcountry on a moped with less... and now i have my sportster i have even less than then! not knocking yall, and it would be nice to have a whole lot of room to carry, but dang!

What?

First you claim that you are some kind of Special Ops Ninja packer with such minimalist gear you're worthy of getting a Nobel Peace Prize, poke fun at others who pack "too much" in your opinion, and then you post up a picture with enough bags and crap on it to make it hard to see the f'ing thing

And then you stay at motels?

Dude
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #1882
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
What?

First you claim that you are some kind of Special Ops Ninja packer with such minimalist gear you're worthy of getting a Nobel Peace Prize, poke fun at others who pack "too much" in your opinion, and then you post up a picture with enough bags and crap on it to make it hard to see the f'ing thing

Dude
And might even wear the backpack.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #1883
caljon88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
I'm heading out next week on a 2000mi, 5-day ride where I have to carry on the bike 2 gallons of spare of fuel (there'll be 5 more gallons waiting for me at a GPS drop site), 3 gallons of water and food for 5 days... it is THAT remote. I'll post up some pics here when I get back.
Sounds like an awesome trip, stay safe and have a good one. Can't wait for the pictures.

Maybe you could install pedals on your bike before you go, then you wouldn't need all the fuel.

2009 HUMMER H3 Adventure (not a bike but it's an adventure machine)
caljon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #1884
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,201
P
Quote:
ok, i had to reply to this because its kinda funny.

i know a lot of (if not most) you guys take a whole bunch of stuff, and have really nice bikes all decked out, but i just dont see what it all is!

i rode xcountry on a moped with less... and now i have my sportster i have even less than then! not knocking yall, and it would be nice to have a whole lot of room to carry, but dang!

as of now, i have 2 setups:

short tripper i have an old belgian gas mask bag that holds a hammock (1 lb. 6 oz, 4 x 5" packed) and the suspension (good bit less than a pound, packs into the hammocks stuff sack)

i use a coke can stove (weighs same as 2 nickels) with HEET fuel and open fire for grilling, carry a fire tool, lighter matches and tinder in an altoid can. use a Ti pot/pan combo, all the cooking stuff (stove, pot stand, wind screen, utensils and fuel) fits inside with the lid on.

tarp, cant remember the size, but i can cook under it when raining and when its pouring i can snug it down and be perfectly dry, all gear and myself off the ground! its about 1.5 pounds, and is 4x8 packed.

home made under and top quilts, and im set.

everything but the quilts will fit into the gas mask bag. when all thats packed into the assault bag i have plenty of room for clothes and some small food.

and then if i need, i can strap other gear on the outside and add a few things to the bike, but i really dont have places to put things aside from myself....

and if i lost my pack, id be out no more than $300
Good job but where's the beer?

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #1885
Rev
Asshole

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
What?

Dude

lol, that was my first long ride ever, and the motel was because the ol came to visit and lets just say the tent wasnt much for sound dampening...

i know i over packed waaaaaaayyyy too much stuff. but you also have to realise that thing is a 49cc moped. hard to see anyway with my fat ass on it alone, much less gear. i posted about all that crap i had to make the point that i slimmed down my gear considerably.

and regarding the desert camping, one of the hammocks i have can be used on the ground, and since my current steed isnt worthy of too many off road trails, i can usually find a place to throw it up in any town. in desperation, ive hung it under a flatbed trailer that didnt have the cab, but that was in a bad storm...

pro's and cons to everything!

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #1886
Mr.Mouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
North of 60

Moss 3 person Tent on board. I found it too big on the bike, not once set up and inside. Never big enough once camp is made. Now I use a MSR Huba Huba 2 person. Way smaller, after years of this I've learned that less, really is more.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #1887
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
...and regarding the desert camping, one of the hammocks i have can be used on the ground...
With respect, once again you seem to assume that you are aware of all the elements of the situation someone else will be in. I thought standard practice on a forum is to assume the poster knows their situation better than the reader, unless the poster says otherwise... maybe I got that bit wrong.

Let me see if I can get a pic of a scorpion near my tent for this thread... or perhaps of one of the six snakes Aust has in the worlds top 10 deadliest snakes. There are enough things to battle out there without giving a cold blooded reptile easy access to a warm place on a sub 32F night. I mention these 2 bitey's because over the years I've seen both at my campsite... and . A rare occurrence, but once is enough for me.

Yes, ground swags are used in Australia and some advriders swear by them, but they are too bulky for my type of advriding and needs.
11 K1600GTL
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #1888
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,461

And then he yells out

TIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #1889
frogy
Studly Adventurer