Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #2836
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Exped has the lateral waterproof compression bags. They are hard to find but some stores are getting stock back in.

They come in three sizes s m and l.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #2837
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Exped has the lateral waterproof compression bags. They are hard to find but some stores are getting stock back in.

Thanks for that good tip!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #2838
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post

Kifaru has the best stuff sacks I have used...

https://kifaru.net/stuffsack.html

Kind of spendy but they are tough and pack very small.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #2839
Dualsport187
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hennessy Hammock

If you do solos or groups... I really hope you can check out Hennessy Hammocks or Warbonnet Hammocks. The best way to bike/camp. Its a hammock built like a tent thats super compact and portable. No need for all the gear. 2-3lb bag... thats it
Dualsport187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #2840
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport187 View Post
If you do solos or groups... I really hope you can check out Hennessy Hammocks or Warbonnet Hammocks. The best way to bike/camp. Its a hammock built like a tent thats super compact and portable. No need for all the gear. 2-3lb bag... thats it
The problem with hammocks is that there aren't always trees around... that and more than a night in a hammock and my back starts getting sore.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #2841
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,010
if it hurts your back, either you have a strange back issue, or you need to take the time to learn how to hang , and sleep in a hammock.

It is easily more comfortable than any bed for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
The problem with hammocks is that there aren't always trees around... that and more than a night in a hammock and my back starts getting sore.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #2842
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
if it hurts your back, either you have a strange back issue, or you need to take the time to learn how to hang , and sleep in a hammock.

It is easily more comfortable than any bed for me.
I don't have any strange back issues. A hammock forces you to sleep in a position that is different than your natural spinal curvature. This doesn't bother everyone, but it certainly can and does bother people with no back issues whatsoever.

What is comfortable for you isn't necessarily comfortable for the next person. I could just as easily tell you that you have some strange back issue because a hammock is more comfortable for you than any other bed. Of course, I won't, because that is just normal variation that exists from person to person.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #2843
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,091
Quote:
I don't have any strange back issues. A hammock forces you to sleep in a position that is different than your natural spinal curvature. This doesn't bother everyone, but it certainly can and does bother people with no back issues whatsoever.

What is comfortable for you isn't necessarily comfortable for the next person. I could just as easily tell you that you have some strange back issue because a hammock is more comfortable for you than any other bed. Of course, I won't, because that is just normal variation that exists from person to person.
You may be right, but I've had enough of being sore in a tent. I haven't found any ground pad that keeps me from having pressure points on my hips/shoulders, and a back that feels like a pretzel. I bought a jungle hammock which lays flatter than the Warbonnet and Hennessy that has a built in bug screen. I'll be carrying a tarp (either my current Kelty 12x12 or a lighter winter tarp with doors) to keep out the elements. The cool thing about this hammock is that it has an additional waterproof bottom layer that attaches with velcro and can go to the ground as a bivy if you end up without trees to hang from. I use a Big Agnes with an Exped pad, so going to the ground would be no worse than being in a tent anyway. Best of both worlds.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #2844
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
You may be right, but I've had enough of being sore in a tent. I haven't found any ground pad that keeps me from having pressure points on my hips/shoulders, and a back that feels like a pretzel. I bought a jungle hammock which lays flatter than the Warbonnet and Hennessy that has a built in bug screen. I'll be carrying a tarp (either my current Kelty 12x12 or a lighter winter tarp with doors) to keep out the elements. The cool thing about this hammock is that it has an additional waterproof bottom layer that attaches with velcro and can go to the ground as a bivy if you end up without trees to hang from. I use a Big Agnes with an Exped pad, so going to the ground would be no worse than being in a tent anyway. Best of both worlds.
Wow, that is cool. I didn't know they made hammocks that can also be used as a bivy. What kind of pole setup does it use?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #2845
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
Sounds great.

How about a photo or three and a link ??
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #2846
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,091
Quote:
Wow, that is cool. I didn't know they made hammocks that can also be used as a bivy. What kind of pole setup does it use?
You can use just about anything, but since I also have the Kelty tarp poles that I use to put the tarp in front porch mode when there are trees around, they can also be used to hold up the bug net portion of the hammock when it's in bivy mode. I still use the tarp when there aren't trees anyway, so there would be minimal change to that set up. You can find these hammocks on ebay under 'Tenth Wonder Hammocks' or you can go to DD Hammocks website. When you're looking at the DD Hammocks, make sure you look for the one with the waterproof layer, the other is similar, but is breathable and therefore can't go to the ground.

Here's a review of the DD Hammock. It doesn't discuss bivy mode, but elaborates on the 'tent-like' features of this style of hammock.

IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #2847
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,010
Like I said, learn how to hang it, and you can lay flat.

Quote:

mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #2848
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Shady Rascal: How did you mount your sidecases? Are they easy on easy off or are they permabolted on?
Brady, known as Corrado113, is very skilled making custom bags and now has a side business thanks to Inmates. Check his products out, if he doesnt make it, send him the measurements and he will make it for you! Very reasonable prices and fast turn around!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487221
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #2849
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:

You defiantly need to learn how to properly hang your hammock. Properly done there is NO back prressure what-so-ever and you should be able to lay in any position with comfort. There is a learning curve that takes time.....................

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #2850
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Like I said, learn how to hang it, and you can lay flat.
Is this a special hammock, or any hammock? You sound like you know much more about me on the subject, so I'm not doubting you, but I'm just having a hard time picturing a hammock that lays flat with a 200lb. body inside. Do you have any pics/videos?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014