What I started to say was that great big smile on ur face says it all,
Nuff said
That some hot chick is taking the pic?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #3137
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
My "in progress" setup. This is enough for a long weekend, but might need a another bag for better tools and more clothing for a longer trip. Left back is the Hammock (or small tent) under quilt, over quilt, and two small-ish tarps. Right bag is for clothing and towels. Top box is for food, toiletries, flip-flops, and some tools. Strap the chair and table to the top. Still plenty of room for another small dry bag for extended trips and a tool tube for a better tool selection.

Don

-

'07 KLR 650
elmo_4_vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #3138
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebnad View Post
! Had to put the poles and my clothes in a backpack. Will not do backpack again cause it was really uncomfortable, will probably strap a dry bag to the Givi next time.
I hear this a lot about backpacks, but I've had pretty good luck wearing the camelbak brand packs. I'm already carrying three litres of water so adding some clothing, odds ends isn't out of reason. One a long trip, a computer is in there too (then it does get heavy).

As long as the pack doesn't interfere with any load on the back of the bike, or ideally rests neatly on it, no problems. I should note the belt and the chest strap make all the difference, lacking those, yeah a pack sucks.

Helps to have a gut to balance the load too.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #3139
sebnad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243Win View Post
As long as the pack doesn't interfere with any load on the back of the bike, or ideally rests neatly on it, no problems. I should note the belt and the chest strap make all the difference, lacking those, yeah a pack sucks.
That was the problem for me. To have enough seating place I had to put the bottom of the bag on top of the Givi case. The top of the bag was pushing on my helmet! I did about 100 Km like that and I want to it again? I've used backpacks before I had the Givi and it was doing the job.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #3140
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebnad View Post
That was the problem for me. To have enough seating place I had to put the bottom of the bag on top of the Givi case. The top of the bag was pushing on my helmet! I did about 100 Km like that and I want to it again? I've used backpacks before I had the Givi and it was doing the job.
Yeah, in that case it does suck in my experience too. Had to move a small cooler I was carrying a little further back for the above pack to work on this trip. Once I did that, it was comfortable enough to forget about. Otherwise it was doing exactly as you say.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #3141
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Got some pictures of my first time out with my new to me Dakar. This is only my second time moto camping and first time with hard luggage. How do you all think I did?

All my non moto clothes and shoes for the weekend and or month in the right side, a mix of REI, wally world and under armorer.

REI passage II tent, poles, stakes, air mattress, 20* bag and blow up pillow on the left side.

Cooking stuff, first aid, meals, basic tools, sun glasses, extra gloves ect ect ect in the top box. The only thing strapped to the outside was my little 3 legged stool.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #3142
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Hammocks

So what do you guys with hammocks do with your gear (boots, jacket, pants, helmet) while you sleep... My tarp isn't really big enough to cover everything and just laying it over the bike doesn't seem like a good idea if it were to start raining...

New at this, and couldn't think of another good option last couple times?

Don

-

'07 KLR 650
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #3143
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Got some pictures of my first time out with my new to me Dakar. This is only my second time moto camping and first time with hard luggage. How do you all think I did?

All my non moto clothes and shoes for the weekend and or month in the right side, a mix of REI, wally world and under armorer.

REI passage II tent, poles, stakes, air mattress, 20* bag and blow up pillow on the left side.

Cooking stuff, first aid, meals, basic tools, sun glasses, extra gloves ect ect ect in the top box. The only thing strapped to the outside was my little 3 legged stool.

I think you did great. Compact but yet you have all the comforts.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #3144
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Alabama State Flower...

...Otherwise known as a plastic Walmart bag. Place your boots side-by-side, pull the bag over them, then run one of the lower buckles on each boot thru the handles of the bag. Keeps critters and water out (so long as the bag has no holes in it. I've been doing this for years and my boots are never wet in the morning no matter how hard it rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt View Post
So what do you guys with hammocks do with your gear (boots, jacket, pants, helmet) while you sleep... My tarp isn't really big enough to cover everything and just laying it over the bike doesn't seem like a good idea if it were to start raining...

Don

-
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3145
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...Otherwise known as a plastic Walmart bag. Place your boots side-by-side, pull the bag over them, then run one of the lower buckles on each boot thru the handles of the bag. Keeps critters and water out (so long as the bag has no holes in it. I've been doing this for years and my boots are never wet in the morning no matter how hard it rains.
Cool, thanks for the input... Might need a bigger bag (or a couple AL flowers) if I want to keep my jacket, pants and helmet dry too, but they pack up small so I should work pretty well. Probably find a couple other uses for them in a bind too.

Don

-

'07 KLR 650
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #3146
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
I usually have my Kermit Chair...

...when camping and can put helmet, riding pants, jacket in it, then put chair beneath hammock rain fly at the end opposite where I enter/exit. Keeps everything off the ground and unless it's raining sideways most everything stays dry.

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the input... Might need a bigger bag (or a couple AL flowers) if I want to keep my jacket, pants and helmet dry too, but they pack up small so I should work pretty well. Probably find a couple other uses for them in a bind too.

Don

-
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #3147
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,789
I travel with my tent and such in a dry duffel. After setting up camp, stuff that needs to stay dry goes into the duffel. I also have a couple of lightweight drybags that work well if there's overflow.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #3148
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,876
Just got back from a month on the road.

Before the launch......

The left pannier is full of tools and camping hardware (saws, axe, etc.) the Rigth pannier is full of cooking stuff and food. The red bags have a kermit chair and MSR Hubba Hubba. The dry bag has everything else.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #3149
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:

Don

-
No panniers or top case on your bike?

Put on your camp shoes or comfy shoes, bring those in the tent with you, stash your boots in the bike with the rest of your gear.

OR get a lightweight half cover (Nelson Rigg UV-2000). Put your helmet and gear on the bike and cover the whole thing up

OR since your camping gear is already set up, put your stuff in the dry bags that held your gear on the way up there.

OR on the line on each end of your hammock underneath the over tarp.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #3150
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
One boot inside the other, the one upside down should obviously be over the one right side up, cinch down the buckles.

Voila, saved you a trip to walmart. Bonus is one of the soles will be clean if it rains.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote