Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #3151
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
One boot inside the other, the one upside down should obviously be over the one right side up, cinch down the buckles.

Voila, saved you a trip to walmart. Bonus is one of the soles will be clean if it rains.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #3152
elmo_4_vt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
No panniers or top case on your bike?

Put on your camp shoes or comfy shoes, bring those in the tent with you, stash your boots in the bike with the rest of your gear.

OR get a lightweight half cover (Nelson Rigg UV-2000). Put your helmet and gear on the bike and cover the whole thing up

OR since your camping gear is already set up, put your stuff in the dry bags that held your gear on the way up there.

OR on the line on each end of your hammock underneath the over tarp.

The panniers (dry bags from wolfman) would work for the jacket and pants, but then I wouldn't be able to access other stuff I have in there as easy, but yes, that is definitely an option... Besides that, I'm anal and don't want the inside of the bags to get dirty with the shoes and the helmet won't quite fit. This option though:

Quote:
OR get a lightweight half cover (Nelson Rigg UV-2000). Put your helmet and gear on the bike and cover the whole thing up
Might be the ticket. I would like being able to keep the whole thing dry in the rain so I wouldn't have to worry about the electronics either. THANKS!

Don

-

'07 KLR 650
elmo_4_vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #3153
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo_4_vt View Post
So what do you guys with hammocks do with your gear (boots, jacket, pants, helmet) while you sleep... My tarp isn't really big enough to cover everything and just laying it over the bike doesn't seem like a good idea if it were to start raining...

New at this, and couldn't think of another good option last couple times?

Don

-
Just bring a black yard-sized plastic trash bag. They are plenty durable, cheap, and pack small. If you want to keep your boots seperate so your other gear doesn't get muddy add a kitchen-sized trash bag.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #3154
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

8 days and 1,800 miles on the Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route and beyond. I brought all the comforts like a camp chair, BBQ grill, espresso pot, a fifth of 12 yo Redbreast, and stopped by the Plumb Cellars tasting room for a bottle of Damn Straight just to pamper myself; a tow strap, Z-pulley, and saw to get out of trouble; and a couple of gallons of water and 12x12 tarp to be safe in the desert heat.

The rolltop bag holds a small tent/bivy, grill, saw, TP, small shovel, food, wine/booze, chair, and camp shoes. It weighs 10-15 pounds depending on the amount of food & beverages.

The GiantLoop has tools/spare parts, tow strap, Z-pulley, 12x12 tarp, insulated/rain gear, sleeping bag, pillow, sleeping pad, clothes, stove & fuel, cook kit, toiletries, towel, fire starter, and bear spray. It weighs 30 pounds loaded (including the GL). Total weight on the bike is 45 pounds max with several days of food and beverages on board.

I also carry a small daypack with a hydration system, thermal flask, first aid kit, a few snacks, and a small Wolfman tank bag for camera, goggles, phone, maps, etc..

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 11:11 PM
Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #3155
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,479
Looks VERY efficient sparrowhawk

may I ask how you carried the 2 gallons of water?

Happy Holidays DrLewall !
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #3156
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Keep in mind that this is 2-up, NOT in the desert (you guessed it, rain and cold nights).

The girlfriend isn't really into covering 600+ miles in a day, or camping without a few "luxuries"... the setup is much smaller when I'm alone

The best way I've found to get girls to pack light is tell them "you can take ANYTHING you want... as long as it fits in THIS bag!"

Thus, her clothes, extra shoes, rain gear and extra gloves, toiletries etc are in the left pannier, and all of my (insert similar things here) are in the right. I also carry all of the maps, a 120v inverter, small hatchet, spare beers, revolver etc on my side, because lets face it, there's no room on the left!

In the large MotoFizz tail bag (on a homemade aluminum rack) is ALL of the necessary camping stuff.

From left to right:
2 person hammock
Stove fuel (can't always have fires at campsites )
Cooking setup (iso butane stove, pot, mugs, cups, utensils, spices, can opener, lighter/matches, some soap, etc)
(2) Sleeping bags
(2) Monarch camp chairs
Rain fly
Tent poles/stakes
Tent
(2) Dollar store air matresses. $1 each, packs down really small, and surprisingly comfortable. Also, if it pops, just toss it and buy a new one. I've had the same one for 3 years though
Oh, and a camera tripod.

The tankbag (Rainier) is all electronic stuff (ipod/phone/gps/camera chargers, DSLR and 35mm camera plus lenses) along with all the little shit like visor cleaner, small microfiber, pen/paper, extra earplugs etc.

And of course, the tiny tiny cooler, good enough for 2 beers (cycle through the warm ones in "my" pannier) and dinner/breakfast for 1 night, plus ice.

And some places won't let you "find" your own firewood

Camp ends up being pretty comfy when the girl's around! And of course it's nice to have a cook/dishwasher when I'm busy drinkin beers and making a fire!

MiteyF screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 07:44 PM
MiteyF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #3157
drikko
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
I fear for your life if your girlfriend reads this, especially if she knows about the gun!!!
Breville Sandwich Maker
Brisbane OZ
drikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #3158
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Well I pay for gas, and she does most of the chores... just how it works. She's a keeper
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #3159
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,640
Five days four nights...

But I was cheating... I slept in motels.
traveltoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #3160
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
Looks VERY efficient sparrowhawk

may I ask how you carried the 2 gallons of water?
I use a combination of containers. I use an older 3 liter MSR hydration system in a small day pack, a 21 oz. vacuum Hydroflask http://www.hydroflask.com/ , and a 4 liter MSR DromLite. Most of the time the bigger MSR bag is empty and rolled up but it comes in handy at camp. The two MSR bags are interchangeable so when I need to carry lots of water I use the 4 liter in the daypack and strap the smaller one on the top of the GiantLoop (it's the black bag strapped to the top in the desert photo). Nalgene and Platypus also make collapsible bags compatible with their hydration systems that would work the same way. MSR and Nalgene use the same cap threads and seal making both systems interchangeable. REI and other backpacking stores are a good source.

The Hydroflask is a bit of a luxury item but the weight penalty is very small, similar to any metal or plastic flask. What I like about it is that it will keep ice all day in any temperature. When you make a gas stop at a convenience store you can fill it with ice and add water for the rest of the day for an ice cold drink anytime. It also holds pressure so a cold beer bought at noon will still be cold with dinner. The 21 oz. almost holds a large 22 oz. bottle of microbrew but a sip is required during filling so you don't waste any. It will hold coffee and tea hot too. It's also a good size for the electrolyte replacement powders and it doesn't carry over flavors like plastic containers.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #3161
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,542
A week of camping in the Montana & Idaho mountains . . . . .

Loaded up -

Another shot:

Camp:

Very comfy set up . . . . . .

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #3162
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 309
This bike all loaded up for a week long 2,500 mile trip this summer (only 1 night in a hotel). Everything but the giant sleeping pad fits in the hard cases, but i still packed way too much.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #3163
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Off-road ICT 7 day/6 night setup

Here's my setup for a just-completed 7 days/6 nights ICT trip. See the ongoing trip report here.
  • 2010 BMW 1200GS with TKC-80
  • Giant Loop bag (Great Basin) packed with tools, freeze-dried eats, jetboil and clothes. Plus 10 oz. snake-bite kit composed of sipping rum.
  • 25L Dry bag (packed inside was a Hennessy Survivor Asym Universal Camo tent hammock, Exped SynMat 7 Air Pad with Pump, Kelty Coromell 25* Down Sleeping Bag)
  • 8L Sea to Summit Big River Dry Bag w/ ROC strap for on-trail access (in lieu of a tank bag)
  • Camel back with Spot Connect attached.
This was the smallest I ever have achieved.

From BT2012 Idaho Centennial Trail mostly
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #3164
Mr. Fisherman
PROUD 2B Riff Raff!

Oddometer: 10,660

Yea baby!
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #3165
Flashmo