Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #3196
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
I'm just under 200lb and have owned the basic 2 leg version of the Butterfly chair for about 3 years now and it's been on many trips. For the first few trips I thought it was maybe a mistake and found ingress and egress a bit tricky and had trouble getting the sitting angle just right. But I publicly defended my purchase anyway. I have to say though, after hanging in there and getting used to it I have become very comfortable w/it and feel its a keeper. If I was taking my truck I would bring something more substantial, but on the bike it's a reasonable compromise of comfort over packed space. The Kermit chair is not as tricky to get in and out of and needs no learning curve to get accustom to, but is definitely heavier and packs larger. If space and weight are not a factor, then the Kermit is the better chair. The edge goes the other way if your trying to conserve. If I had panniers that would work as a seat I would not bring any chair.
I'm a cool 160 lbs and had a problem with the Alite Monarch.
The biggest was the two feet digging there way into the soil/dirt/mud/whatever and getting crud all over them.
The weight (of whomever) is put in only two places, with the kermit there are four and this problem went away for both me and my wife.
Plus, Mrs B didn't like the way it made her back feel...she has a bad back and getting in and out of that chair just made it worse.
SWMBO was clear...FIND A CHAIR I LIKE.
Kermit was the answer, not as small, but much more comfortable.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #3197
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
220 here, no problems with the monarch chair. I do tend to sit next to the pic-nic table when available as the bench seat then becomes essentially an end-table for me and gives me something to lean against as I get up. But even in a wide open space or simply to be nearer the fire, the chair has been on a dozen or so trips, some a couple of weeks or more and no problems.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #3198
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Have had the Alite two years now and love it.Funny thing is I do have a bad back,and this chair helps.There are two down sides,one is this chair does not like being placed on unlevel ground,and two every time someone else tries it I laugh so hard I throw my back out
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #3199
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Have had the Alite two years now and love it.Funny thing is I do have a bad back,and this chair helps.There are two down sides,one is this chair does not like being placed on unlevel ground,and two every time someone else tries it I laugh so hard I throw my back out
I just saw my buddy (who is no less than the size of a sea elephant) with one of these, its amazing how much weight these things can hold up and it folds up very small and light.
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #3200
CromsTeeth
Scout

Oddometer: 72
Been reading through this thread for several days now:

And I'm just amazed at how much stuff people take "camping". Wow.

One guy was packing a whole case of Coors Light! Now, I love booze... but whiskey is way more space efficient!
And all these tents! Jeez, guys! One tarp, three stakes. Ground pad. Bag. Done.
As far as meals go, anyone heard of quinoa? Something else we stole from the Natives here in the good ol' US of A. Takes about fifteen minutes to cook and is good for you, too.
I'm all for whatever it takes to get you through the night... but does it really take that much? Some folks might as well rent an RV!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #3201
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 246
Thumb Comfort Camping

Yes some people do carry a lot when camping . Here in OZ when we go for a ride it is for a week or more and we can live without booze .
When it comes to food Quinoa is nice in a salad but i would hate to eat it for a week or more .
Do you add anything else to make the quinoa differant every few days .
Our climate can vary from day to night and day to day so sometimes we like a tent .
Do you have any other foods that you carry?????
Tezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by CromsTeeth View Post
And I'm just amazed at how much stuff people take "camping". Wow.

One guy was packing a whole case of Coors Light! Now, I love booze... but whiskey is way more space efficient!
And all these tents! Jeez, guys! One tarp, three stakes. Ground pad. Bag. Done.
As far as meals go, anyone heard of quinoa? Something else we stole from the Natives here in the good ol' US of A. Takes about fifteen minutes to cook and is good for you, too.
I'm all for whatever it takes to get you through the night... but does it really take that much? Some folks might as well rent an RV!
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 AM   #3202
Ol'NumNuts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Boys,
I gotta tell ya that Downunder here we not only have 7 of the worlds top 10 deadliest snakes, several of the worlds deadliest spiders, including bird eating spiders the size of a dinner plate... Did I mention the scorpions, blood sucking midgies and don't start me on the drop bears.... Or the wild dogs that kill people or even the crocodiles-real ones that is...... not pussy 'gators'.... I'm talkin the kind that hunt stupid tourists and drag them out of open tents....I haven't even mentioned the blood sucking leaches or paralysis ticks that get blown for miles on the wind and can drop a man unconscious in two hours..... While he sleeps....
Did I mention that when we have a mosquito plague.... Cattle are found dead from loss of blood!
Yeah, we love you hammock guys.... we looove you! (Gomer Pile Style) cause while you're getting eaten alive, we're sleepin like babies, all snug, safe and sound in our sealed tents....
As us Aussies say, No Flies on me!
We like to invite you hammock guys to our barbeques...
Keeps the flies off the meat :lmao
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #3203
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,763
You am surprised there are ANY adults left in Australia with all those baby eating dingos.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #3204
Ol'NumNuts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Footnote...

In Northern Queensland recently a mid 40yo tourist was in fact attacked by a large saltwater crocodile and literally dragged from his (open) tent by the Croc...

A local Grandmother was awoken by the ruckus and seeing the man in the crocodiles mouth she jumped on the crocodiles head and wrestled it until it released the man....

This is actually a true story and it just goes a long way to explain why Aussies are so tough!

:Moral- Don't Fuck with Granny!
Ol'NumNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #3205
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 2,907
Hell, I prefer to sleep bug-free in Pennsylvania. I know all about sleeping on the ground and dealing with bugs, both the stinging and biting bugs and those that just like to crawl around on you. I did that in the army and don't miss it. I'd rather pack a little heavier and relax at night than save space and sleep on the ground and worry about insects (and venomous snakes, depending upon where I'm at).

But, alas, there's always one guy who likes to puff his chest out and proclaim how manly of a man he is. You pussies who sleep in tents and drink beer aren't "camping." You must drink whiskey, sleep on the ground, and eat seeds to be a real man! Grrrrr!

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #3206
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 134
Traveling as light as I can muster.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #3207
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
We've been there on Monday. Though we just rode inland from the coast, not along the Coast Ridge Trail. Did that last year and it's awesome. Where did you camp there?
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #3208
CromsTeeth
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
Yes some people do carry a lot when camping . Here in OZ when we go for a ride it is for a week or more and we can live without booze .
When it comes to food Quinoa is nice in a salad but i would hate to eat it for a week or more .
Do you add anything else to make the quinoa differant every few days .
Our climate can vary from day to night and day to day so sometimes we like a tent .
Do you have any other foods that you carry?????
Tezza
Hey Tezza, yeah that is the great thing about quinoa, it doesn't have that strong of a flavor so you can add anything to it or add it to anything. For instance throw it in soup, or add a can of tuna to it. That's what I like to do when car camping and space isn't an issue.
I know a lot of people carry MREs and the freeze dried stuff camping stores sell, but I've never messed with it. Just my personal preference, but when I'm camping food isn't that important to me.
As far as living without booze... it might take me a while to wrap my head around that one.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #3209
CromsTeeth
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Boys,
I gotta tell ya that Downunder here we not only have 7 of the worlds top 10 deadliest snakes, several of the worlds deadliest spiders, including bird eating spiders the size of a dinner plate... Did I mention the scorpions, blood sucking midgies and don't start me on the drop bears.... Or the wild dogs that kill people or even the crocodiles-real ones that is...... not pussy 'gators'.... I'm talkin the kind that hunt stupid tourists and drag them out of open tents....I haven't even mentioned the blood sucking leaches or paralysis ticks that get blown for miles on the wind and can drop a man unconscious in two hours..... While he sleeps....
Did I mention that when we have a mosquito plague.... Cattle are found dead from loss of blood!
Yeah, we love you hammock guys.... we looove you! (Gomer Pile Style) cause while you're getting eaten alive, we're sleepin like babies, all snug, safe and sound in our sealed tents....
As us Aussies say, No Flies on me!
We like to invite you hammock guys to our barbeques...
Keeps the flies off the meat :lmao
You're right, Ol'NN! I feel bad for anyone in Australia!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #3210
CromsTeeth
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
Traveling as light as I can muster.
That's a nice set-up, Cabrito. Doesn't look like a two wheeled flea market. Looks well thought out and well packed.