Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #3211
Cabrito
Terminal Lurker

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
We've been there on Monday. Though we just rode inland from the coast, not along the Coast Ridge Trail. Did that last year and it's awesome. Where did you camp there?
Prewitt Ridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CromsTeeth View Post
That's a nice set-up, Cabrito. Doesn't look like a two wheeled flea market. Looks well thought out and well packed.
Thanks, but unfortunately on that ride I forgot my lighter and couldn't fire up my camp stove.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #3212
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post

That's a great picture Cabrito. In the end it doesnt matter what you pack, as long as you get sunsets like this... and you aren't stuck in a cage!

CHAOS OUT!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #3213
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Boys,
I gotta tell ya that Downunder here we not only have 7 of the worlds top 10 deadliest snakes, several of the worlds deadliest spiders, including bird eating spiders the size of a dinner plate... Did I mention the scorpions, blood sucking midgies and don't start me on the drop bears.... Or the wild dogs that kill people or even the crocodiles-real ones that is...... not pussy 'gators'.... I'm talkin the kind that hunt stupid tourists and drag them out of open tents....I haven't even mentioned the blood sucking leaches or paralysis ticks that get blown for miles on the wind and can drop a man unconscious in two hours..... While he sleeps....
Did I mention that when we have a mosquito plague.... Cattle are found dead from loss of blood!
Yeah, we love you hammock guys.... we looove you! (Gomer Pile Style) cause while you're getting eaten alive, we're sleepin like babies, all snug, safe and sound in our sealed tents....
As us Aussies say, No Flies on me!
We like to invite you hammock guys to our barbeques...
Keeps the flies off the meat :lmao
Thats Right World Viewers... Meet Ol' NumNuts, Australias new Minister for Tourism!!

He isn't wrong though. There is a Croc movie over here called Rogue. This thing is big. At the end they show a short doco on the real Croc it was based on. And this thing was BIGGER than the movie one!!!
A few months ago, a tv crew did a ride through Northern Aus on Tiger XC's. They showed one morning where they had ended up sleeping in trees (no tents or hammocks) due to noises. The next morning they showed shots of the claw prints in the sand around the bikes.

I LOVE THIS COUNTRY!

CHAOS OUT!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #3214
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
But, alas, there's always one guy who likes to puff his chest out and proclaim how manly of a man he is. You pussies who sleep in tents and drink beer aren't "camping." You must drink whiskey, sleep on the ground, and eat seeds to be a real man! Grrrrr!
+1 to that.
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #3215
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
+2
but i dont agree with the seeds, a real man wouldnt be caught dead eating veg like that, a true camper only eats grubs from rotten trees

im quite envious of people who can do the great outdoors with a binliner and cook roadkill on a stove made out of beer cans, but personally i like my big tent, airbed, XL bag, ipod, trangia, folding armchair etc etc. my bikes big enough to carry it all, and i dont see how doing without makes the experience any better? you can do it and be comfortable.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #3216
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,110
Carry what you want .. Live your ride with as little or as much as you like .. adjust as needed .. and don't worry what some smart ass has to say about it if they want to ridicule your decisions ..

.. good advice has nothing to do with bustin' someone's chops ..

Sent from RevBill's iPhone using Tapatalk .. Ride Blessed y'all ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #3217
CromsTeeth
Scout

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
Carry what you want .. Live your ride with as little or as much as you like .. adjust as needed .. and don't worry what some smart ass has to say about it if they want to ridicule your decisions ..

.. good advice has nothing to do with bustin' someone's chops ..
Couldn't have said it better myself, Rev!
I am still interested, though, in what people carry that does involve a lighter load. My preference is obvoiusly for a lighter approach. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #3218
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by CromsTeeth View Post
I am still interested, though, in what people carry that does involve a lighter load. My preference is obvoiusly for a lighter approach. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
It's all a matter of money. Use quality hiking gear instead of Walmart stuff, and you probably spend 4 to 6 times the money and save half the weight and space.

I prefer traveling really light and small - mainly so that everything fits in panniers and absolutely nothing is strapped to the bike. What people don't see they rarely ever find worth stealing or destroying.

And no, hard cases aren't really "safe". It's all about making it easy or super easy for assholes. And I have read too many cases where same idiot just stole the tent poles, or the sleeping bag, or the mattress, mainly to annoy the owner, not for the value of the parts. Out of sight, out of mind. Has worked pretty well for me so far.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #3219
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
I don't mind puffing out my chest...in my comfy bug-free tent
frogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #3220
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
You might wanna check out this thread for UltraLight ideas:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200397

Also, browse UL backpacking and bikepacking forums - tons of great ideas and gear suggestions.
bymbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #3221
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
I like seeing both minalmist and extreme setups. Great ideas can be had from either style.
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #3222
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,138
My moto camping gear is also my backpacking gear. I'm a cheap bastage so not all of my stuff is the uberlight expensive stuff I'd rather hump the extra weight than empty out my pocket book But it's still relatively light compared to some camping gear.

I got a few folks at work into moto camping. It's like I've told them go out and try it a few times and keep going you will find stuff that will work well for you and you will find stuff that sucks and isn't worth the material it's made from after a while you will have something that resembles a system and even be able to pack it up and set it up quickly.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #3223
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymbie View Post
You might wanna check out this thread for UltraLight ideas:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200397
beat me to it!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #3224
ausbaxter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137

Gear and supplies for 3 days in the bush with the girlfriend :)
ausbaxter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #3225
RangerShawn
Philosopher

Oddometer: 58
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbaxter View Post

Gear and supplies for 3 days in the bush with the girlfriend :)
"3 days in the bush with the girlfriend" That could be interpeted a couple of ways, but they both sound nice for you.