What kind of battery?

How many nights will it last?

Thanks
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 AM   #3377
Northwest Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I use a spare battery for my KLR and a 410W converter. I've only used the set up a couple of times, recharging it during the day. I figure if you don't use the humidifier you could get 2-3 nights out of it. It also will charge my phone and Senna Bluetooth helmet piece. It is a lot of extra weight and bulk to pack. Road trips would be fine but backcountry offroad Expiditions would be a challenge.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #3378
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 272
Hey Cajun...

Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #3379
Big Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
A couple quick snaps from a recent quick three night trip. I'd stopped to pick up some groceries on my way through town, so had a bit of extra baggage all over the place, that Thermarest and sneakers were packed away properly for the homebound trip.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #3380
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,105
Stop on the way to the Fall Old's Cool Rally...

My lonely little corner of the campground. 10th wonder 'Hornet' hammock and Wilderness Logics 'Old Man Winter' tarp.

That's Kenda the Wonder Dog...owned by another ADVer...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #3381
flatwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
ride in the hoosier nat. forest

flatwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #3382
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyRed View Post
We have 11.5" Odyssey Jesse Luggage panniers, Jesse Luggage top box, two Wolfman medium Expedition top-rolling dry duffel bags strapped onto the panniers with Rok-Straps, and an Outdoor Research 55L green dry bag strapped to the top box with Rok-Straps. The 55L dry bag was excellent for storing two motorcycle helmets during a rainstorm! We also have an awesome Bags Connection GS tank bag.

~Andrea
First let me say - Welcome to the Asylum.

Now down to business.
How did you secure the RokStraps to the pannier?

We have Jesse Safari 11.5" panniers and I was thinking of mounting footman loops like these from West Marine.

The only problem is I am concerned about water leaking in...not to mention that I will be drilling holes in panniers that are way $$$.
Any suggestions other than using RTV during the install?

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

BeeMaa screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 03:02 AM
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:01 AM   #3383
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
A week of fishing in middle Sweden - lots of fishing gear... 2x30 litre waterproof backpacks as side panniers, a 60l waterproof duffle on top. Dunno how much the tank bag holds.

Found a shelter to set my hammock up, only pictures I took of the set-up were from here:

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #3384
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMaa View Post

Now down to business.

We have Jesse Safari 11.5" panniers and I was thinking of mounting footman loops like these from West Marine.

(picture not quoted)

The only problem is I am concerned about water leaking in...not to mention that I will be drilling holes in panniers that are way $$$.
At a hardware or farm supply place they sell special washers that have a rubber disk attached to the underside.
They are called "bonded washers" se are used under the screws that hold down metal roofing to buildings so that no leaks develop.
I used them on my cases and no leaks after 4 years in service!

Here's a pic: http://www.bestmaterials.com/washer_styles.aspx
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #3385
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyRed View Post
SpeedySteve and I went on a weeklong adventure in Southern Utah two weeks ago on the '12 GSA (our first 2-up camping trip!) and here are a few photos of our setup:

Our wonderful campsite for a few nights, including some of the equipment we brought (our favorite: REI chairs!)

We have 11.5" Odyssey Jesse Luggage panniers, Jesse Luggage top box, two Wolfman medium Expedition top-rolling dry duffel bags strapped onto the panniers with Rok-Straps, and an Outdoor Research 55L green dry bag strapped to the top box with Rok-Straps. The 55L dry bag was excellent for storing two motorcycle helmets during a rainstorm! We also have an awesome Bags Connection GS tank bag.

Steve is in close contact with Al Jesse about his most up-to-date products. During this trip, we did a trial run with prototypes of part of his lid-rack system on the panniers. Don't bother Al with questions yet, it should be on his website soon!

~Andrea
I've been looking for a good camp chair for, well forever . I've check all the popular ones seen at campouts far ane wide. Kermit and Monarch have been the favorites but for me the Kermit is too expensive, to cumbersome to put together, too bulky and heavy. The Monarch, well I managed to "crash" test sitting it at REI. I decided if I have to learn to get in and out of a chair it might not be for me. Looking like a beached whale on the floor must have been entertaining for the others at the store though.

Until now I hadn't seen the chairs you have. I just checked the specs on REI, the price is right, the weight is right, and so is the packed down size. I will be buying one. Thank you so much for showing us your chairs.

If you want to see two people that really do two up camping check this Ride Report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817794 Their ride reports are always entertaining and they have some good tips along the way.

Welcome to ADV and I hope to see more of you.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #3386
chrome bandit
Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:

Two thoughts on this...

1) I put footman loops on my Jesses, used a dab of silicon in addition to the water tight plastic washers, haven't any leaks in heavy rain. I did drill the holes a little tight to minimize the openings, so had to work the screws in a bit. However...

2) The height of the loops doesn't allow me to fully wrap a Rok strap around it - the plastic buckle side does not fit in the small opening. So I have to work around that. The footman loop is quite secure, I just have to futz with the tie down on top depending what I'm putting up there.

Let's see if I can find a photo...ah, this is from the WABDR trip over Labor Day weekend...

...see the loops on the left pannier. The two gray strips in the middle of the cover are friction tape strips meant for stairs, they provide some traction for whatever I have strapped down, which prevents moving ahead. They're not too rough on cordura or nylon storage bags.

I'm using Rok straps for the tent and rear Ortieb bag, which is sitting on top of a Touratech extension rack.

The right pannier has sleeping bag, and it's strapped down via a pair of Sea to Summit hook release 3/4 inch straps that I picked up cheap at a close-out table. I actually like these better than Rok straps, as they allow me to adjust & crank down on tightness depending on size. The Rok straps aren't adjustable, could be just the ones I have.
chrome bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #3387
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:

Now down to business.

I used these on my top boxes!

They are drawer pulls available from our local ACE hardware, Orchard Supply, Lowe's & Home Depot. They come in several lengths, chrome and stainless. Its gotr about an inch of clearance between the mounting surface and the underside of the loop!

They use a standard 8-32 machine screw and I used clear Tub&Tile sealant with the metal/rubber washer on the inside and outside. Its worked great in tremendous downpours!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #3388
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
I used these on my top boxes!
BeeMaa you could make some rubber gaskets to go under them? but im +1 on the drawer handles, they really work well. a 1/2" stainless steel washer on both sides of the plastic gives it more support and also a bigger surface area for a sealing blob of whatever. no problems here.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #3389
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
You might also take a look at these:

http://micatech.net/products/accessories/roof-racks
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #3390
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
chrome bandit, Low594, davesato and cug

Thank you all very much for your input.
I already have the footman loops and have been holding off install until I ran it by some folks here.
I will install them and drill the holes a wee bit small, use silicone RTV and stainless washers (with acorn nuts and locktite) on the inside.
Clearance will be a little shallow, but will be easy to compensate for with minor modification the the ends of the RokStraps.
I will most likely not do the friction tape on top of the panniers - I'm using Ortlieb bags and don't want to rip up the shell.
Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote