Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #3601
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Can you tell me a little about the Touratech skid plate storage? Easy to install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
14 days from Windsor, Ontario, to Death Valley, CA and back. 10 days on the bike, 5,300 miles. Just this April.

spare tubes, tools, air compressor, chain lube, plexus and emergency can of soup and water took up the most room. 5 pairs of socks, underwear and shirts, one good shirt and one pair of pants. Comfortable shoes, toiletries, and various cold weather liners (boy did I need them) and two different helmet shields (one pinlock and one dark) make up the side cases.

Tent, mattress, pillow, sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner (needed that too) and bag with the tent stakes, camp flashlights, and fire starter stuff. That bag never needs to be opened unless I'm camping.

steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #3602
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
Yes as my post said five days but it is necessary for me to remember that once I had plans for a ten day trip and returned home four months later after riding in seven different countries.

TravelGuy
I did that once, left for a 4 day weekend, came home 6 months later. Didn't need or want for anything, the little I brought with me was just fine.

It was actually better than when I KNOW I'll be gone for months and constantly scratch my head as to what to take.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #3603
apostle2
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Is that the Backcountry 1 or 2?
Backcountry 1
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #3604
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by apostle2 View Post

Backcountry 1
Cool. How do you like it? I have the Backcountry 1 as well, but I've only had a chance to use it for one night. It packs down so small, particularly the tent pole length, which is why I bought it. However, it's not a big tent. One night wasn't bad, but I do wonder how I'll like it on an extended trip.

How happy are you with its size?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #3605
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,880
Loaded up for a week on my new to me nighthawk, out exploring in Alaska (on the road back to Anchorage from Girdwood)

Clothes and sleeping bag in the duffel, tent on top, rain gear and extra layers in the wolfman tail duffel. Good for a week, or a month.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #3606
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Nice bike !

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
lord_oblivion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #3607
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
Can you tell me a little about the Touratech skid plate storage? Easy to install?

Install is a piece of piss, really. You get new lower frame rails which increase the ground clearance of the bike. So you pull off the old skid plate, the old engine crash bars, and the reg/rec if your bike has ABS and the reg/rec is on the lower right side of the motor. Pay attention to the kickstand. Put the kickstand in the upright position and remove the kickstand and kickstand switch. Simply make sure it isn't jostled and remains in the kickstand up position and wire-tie it somewhere underneath-- you can't use it with the new kickstand mount because it's too close to hearder and will melt it. Remove the old lower frame rails.

Bolt the new frame rails using one of the reg/rec holes and the two existing lower frame rail mounts. Install the kickstand sans kickstand switch into the new mount (welded to the lower frame rail).

The skid plate mounts with one bolt and spacer up front where the old skid plate was and then under the front bolts of the footpeg mounts.

Reinstall the reg/rec into the holes that are already drilled into the new skid plate. Done.

Holds about 3 litres. Isn't weather tight. I wrote a short bit about this install in the Dakar thread in Thumpers. It's great to keep all the heavy crap down low-- tools and whatnot.

By the bye, I heard Touratech Germany isn't making these anymore and Touratech USA has (had?) the last couple in stock. So if they have already sold and you cannot find anymore, mine is available for 800 USD (shipping included)
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #3608
panorton
Charming as F**k

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Right side (exhaust side) bag:

Tent, poles, pegs, footprint, rain gear, cook set, food

What kind of tent is that? how small does it pack?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #3609
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 120
Tent Pics

Greeting 2 Wheeled Wanderers.

Just throwing it out there. We seem to get alot of Questions about Tents and packing Size. It is good to see them set up, but often they are tucked away under gear on the bike.

If people can be arsed, how about some pics of tent set up and then packed down (maybe holding the packed tent in both hands to get an idea of size).

I know this is about "How it fits on your bike", but tents seem to be a common theme. Not hijacking this in to a tent thread, but just a pic or 2 for comparison.

CHAOS OUT!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #3610
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,315
I'll get some photos for you.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #3611
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOSHUMOUR View Post
Not hijacking this in to a tent thread, but just a pic or 2 for comparison.]
Some of us have done stuff like this. I think I turned it into a thread, too. Too lazy to find the thread.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #3612
CHAOSHUMOUR
THE UNSANE

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Some of us have done stuff like this. I think I turned it into a thread, too. Too lazy to find the thread.
Damn Marchy

That is an insane amount of detail... but I like it!!

I run the same tent. Big Fan. Great for 2 ppl short term or 1 person long term.

I bought a second tent for long haul 2 person - The Exped Andromeda II. I liked the larger vestibule to stow 2-3 ppl's gear and get out of the rain if needed. And it packs as small if not smaller than the Venus... That was surprising.

CHAOS OUT!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #3613
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by panorton View Post
What kind of tent is that? how small does it pack?
It's a Hilleberg Keron 3. About as close to an underground bunker you can get with a tent. It's neither very small nor very light. Packs down to about 7.5 lbs, but still bulky. Packed in compression bags (separate inner and outer tent) and it should pack down nicely. We don't do that, just stuff it in my right hand pannier (exhaust side). There is still space for foot print, camping stove/pots/pans, and quite a few other assorted items like sandals, some tools, small axe, water, rain gear, ...

We use it because it is absolutely solid quality and has enough space for two including motorcycle gear (leave out the boots and helmets, everything else is fine).

Only two downsides: it's not self supported, you need at least 4 pegs and it is freaking expensive. But it'll outlive my desire for camping in the next 20 years ...

I totally love the tent, but if I had to buy all over again, I might get a Hilleberg Tarra instead. Sacrifice a little bit of space (8 inches less width), but get a self supported tent where only the vestibules need pegs. The Keron is large and we totally enjoy the space, but the Tarra might (!!) sometimes be easier to set up.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #3614
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOSHUMOUR View Post
Greeting 2 Wheeled Wanderers.

Just throwing it out there. We seem to get alot of Questions about Tents and packing Size. It is good to see them set up, but often they are tucked away under gear on the bike.

If people can be arsed, how about some pics of tent set up and then packed down (maybe holding the packed tent in both hands to get an idea of size).

I know this is about "How it fits on your bike", but tents seem to be a common theme. Not hijacking this in to a tent thread, but just a pic or 2 for comparison.

CHAOS OUT!
There is a tent thread that does just that...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #3615
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 994
R12 loaded up for 7 day camping trip. Both varios in collapsed position, large Cabelas waterproof duffel, small enduro Wolfman tank bag: