Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #4096
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
I've tried the inflatable pillow route, but I rather just use one of my stuff sacks with a jacket liner or rain gear inside. Or maybe the sleeping bag stuff sack with extra clothes inside, simple and takes up zero additional room. Pack it tight or soft, your choice.

One of my favorite all purpose tents is a Eureka Back Country 2 tent. 15" poles make it easy to pack. This one has been totally dry during many wet nights and it is good in hot weather also:

http://www.campmor.com/eureka-backco...gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Or a newer design thats 16" and has a full rain fly:

http://www.backcountry.com/eureka-in...FWho7AodTBUAEw

I've used the Back Country tents for years and many weeks on the road. Still have a 3 man over 7 years old and its still dry, haven't needed to re-seal it yet. Zippers all still work, shock cords are getting weaker but not needing replacement yet. The 2 man is more practical though, easy to pack.

I would take a two man Eureka that packs down small for an extended trip. But for a few nights when I know I just need a place to sleep, I take a one man, takes up even less room on the bike. But a larger tent is better when I'm camping in all weather conditions.

A one man sucks when your stuck in the rain and are needing to stay inside the tent more. A big tent is a pain also, I always choose to take a tent that fits inside my hard luggage. I like a tarp also on long trips. You can get a light weight tarp and string it up for sun or rain and sit under it in a comfortable chair.

Its also nice to have everything locked up and out of sight when your away from the bike. Sometimes I'll stop in a busy city and having the gear all inside hard cases makes me feel better....

My favorite cooking/heating method is an iso/butane canister stove and a stainless steel 16 oz mug. Simple and easy. If I have to mess with liquid fuel I prefer methanol stoves like the Stever stove sold here. Add a small skillet and a spork and your set for most things. I don't "cook" much while traveling, I just reheat soups, add water to freeze dried stuff, make coffee and things back packers would do. Maybe grill a steak over a camp fire. I carry nuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, cliff bars, beef jerky, tea bags, energy drink powder etc.. The main thing I enjoy is a hot tea or coffee in the morning with an energy bar or some thing. I rather just stop at a coffee shop or a deli for real food. I enjoy trying the local places to eat while I travel.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 10-24-2013 at 12:42 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #4097
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brun View Post
A typical camp, with the necessary comforts

The bike packed up.
Nice set up. Amazed you get it all on the airhead. +1 on the tarp, it serves a lot of purpose, and takes lil room.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #4098
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brun View Post

The bike packed up.

ps: re pillows: I cannot sleep unless I have the perfect pillow, just like the fat foam one I use at home. My solution was to cut a spare pillow in half. It rolls up to about 1.5 litres, inside my Exped mattress roll.

A nice trip when you can go from snow to 38C all in 3 weeks!
I like your set up. Would be interested in how you've mounted the front tank bags. As in how to prevent them from sliding; my bike seems less suitable than your gorgeous one. I have a set of packhorse bags that I want to use for that but they need some modification. It is still in the study phase.

I sleep very lightly. Perhaps because I still use a wrapped up jacket and/or pull-over.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #4099
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
If you have an IKEA near you, they sell a travel inflatable neck pillow.. it's awesome and cheap! Packs down to about the size of a soda can. And has a microfiber outside that is very comfortable.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90237197/
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #4100
Brun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
A nice trip when you can go from snow to 38C all in 3 weeks!
I like your set up. Would be interested in how you've mounted the front tank bags. As in how to prevent them from sliding; my bike seems less suitable than your gorgeous one. I have a set of packhorse bags that I want to use for that but they need some modification. It is still in the study phase.

I sleep very lightly. Perhaps because I still use a wrapped up jacket and/or pull-over.
Thanks, Rango. The tank panniers have a fabric panel connecting them. There is a hole in the centre of this panel which the proud fuel cap goes through. There is also a strap connection across the front, below the steering head, velcro fixed. I also sewed a layer of that grippy mesh stuff to the underside of the bags and panel. They don't flop around.

Do get a proper pillow and sleep soundly. I have arthritis issues so this is really important. Something I found is that my shoulder does not sink as far into my Exped mattress as it does in my bed at home, so I also carry a small foam rectangle to put under my pillow - it is medium density, about 25mm (1") thick, with a fabric cover. This adds extra comfort to my Helinox chair and also comes in handy as a kneeling pad. The extra height added to the pillow means that my spine is straighter.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #4101
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
The Nemo Fillo ...
Is what I'm currently using. Best of the many I've tried, so far. Good enough that I haven't recently bothered looking for something to replace it.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #4102
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
Nice set up. Amazed you get it all on the airhead. +1 on the tarp, it serves a lot of purpose, and takes lil room.
Airheads can haul more than you think, sometimes lots more than many modern bikes
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #4103
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Camping pillow is still a Holy Grail - no one real good solution.

Of all the pillows I have tried, they were all too short - at least with my melon crushing them down.

The Thermarest compressible is not bad - far better than the old inflatable neck cushion I used before it. Small is too small, large is too large - and no thicker than the medium, so medium is best.

The Nemo Fillo was my next move, and with the foam overlay on the air bladder it is very comfy and you can control how cushy it is - but it's too short when the cush is right (and I note the new Luxury XL lists the same thickness). But it does have a lashing system on the underside so you can boost it up:

I actually use a Thermarest self inflating lumbar pillow with mine. They roll up very tight as a pair and they offer both cush and height adjustment with the two inflatable chambers.
Like that elastic cord for that. Thanks.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #4104
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
The Nemo Fillo was my next move, and with the foam overlay on the air bladder it is very comfy and you can control how cushy it is - but it's too short when the cush is right (and I note the new Luxury XL lists the same thickness). But it does have a lashing system on the underside so you can boost it up:
+1 on the Nemo Filo. Works well and is easy to adjust to fit your wants.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #4105
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,093
Ready to head to Tellico...

My campsite down by the river...

IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #4106
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
My campsite down by the river...

That campsite looks very familiar, but drier than when I was in it in 2009

Water got up to within 6" of hammock bottom, but everything stayed dry. An hour later it had receded.

GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #4107
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,154
Uhhhh...where was your bike!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #4108
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
That campsite looks very familiar, but drier than when I was in it in 2009

Yup, I was there for that one too. I was in a tent much closer to the office. If I had taken my picture from the same spot, you would have seen one of those large A-frame green tents this time as well. They replaced one of them with a tow behind fold out tent/camper. That was one weird weekend
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #4109
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 356
Docwells

Which Honda is that and how do you like it?
'71 SL 350 - Honda

drdubb screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 08:01 AM
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #4110
Schussboelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
Which Honda is that
Crosstourer, no?
Schussboelie is offline   Reply With Quote