Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #4591
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 946
Standard, 'comfort mode' (i.e. chairs, the good camera gear and a few other little luxuries) tent camp:

Set up...

... Packed down...

... And loaded on.

This was just a two-up, long-weekend, dry-run (not that far out in the Boonies with water nearby etc), to test out the new gear I've spent the last few months obsessively compiling, after selling the old stuff when I moved from the UK to the US a while back. Took some stuff not strictly required for this ride, just to see how it packed down etc. On a much longer trip, I reckon I'd only add another small stuff sack of clothes. And on a solo ride, obviously half the sleeping / sitting tackle would be left at home and the smaller tent / tarp taken, so the bike could be loaded differently.

Added a few things and left a couple out since then. Now just waiting for it this cold snap to pass so give it all an extended outing... Not to mention a full-on, geek-out photo documentation of every single item, which - for whatever reason - I'll no doubt feel compelled to carry out.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 04:42 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #4592
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post

... Packed down...

l
Had a guy on a trip who packed like that. Took him 2 hours to break camp the 1st morning. After that he had to wake very early or get left behind!

But then if it works for you, Great!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #4593
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 946
First time out with no schedule, new gear and an OCD photographic session thrown in for s&g... Last slug of coffee to starter button still took less than 30 mins.

Cheers!

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #4594
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,934
not very good with these pics and stuff, coyote and kriega r15,,, most of it is still in the coyote

2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #4595
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Not to mention a full-on, geek-out photo documentation of every single item, which - for whatever reason - I'll no doubt feel compelled to carry out.

Cheers,

Michael

L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #4596
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Had a guy on a trip who packed like that. Took him 2 hours to break camp the 1st morning. After that he had to wake very early or get left behind!
When I'm on trips, it's the only time I can ever sleep in and enjoy myself. I haven't been able to (because of going to work) sleep in on a weekday, pretty near my entire adult life barring being on Death's door sick, or the occasional act of God.

Weekends are full of all the crap and scheduling I have to squeeze in that I can't do on the weekdays.

My buddies and I would ban anyone from our group who had some demented compulsion to "hurry" at O'dark:30 when on a bike camping vacation.

Maybe the guys who pack so light they use rocks for pillows, break camp quickly because they are so miserable.
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #4597
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Maybe the guys who pack so light they use rocks for pillows, break camp quickly because they are so miserable.
Nah... if you break camp earlyish (I don't even think about getting out of my sleeping bag until the sun is up) you can get to your next destination early which leaves more time for consuming appropriate quantities of malted beverage.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 AM   #4598
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post

Forget that. I'm pretty minimilist but have a hard time sleeping without one. My pillow only weighs about an ounce and fits in the BA Air Core's stuff sack. Got it at REI. I'm not forgetting it.

This whole "going minimilist/ultralight is cold and uncomfortable" stereotype is so out dated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 AM   #4599
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Standard, 'comfort mode' (i.e. chairs, the good camera gear and a few other little luxuries) tent camp:

Set up...

... Packed down...

... And loaded on.

This was just a two-up, long-weekend, dry-run (not that far out in the Boonies with water nearby etc), to test out the new gear I've spent the last few months obsessively compiling, after selling the old stuff when I moved from the UK to the US a while back. Took some stuff not strictly required for this ride, just to see how it packed down etc. On a much longer trip, I reckon I'd only add another small stuff sack of clothes. And on a solo ride, obviously half the sleeping / sitting tackle would be left at home and the smaller tent / tarp taken, so the bike could be loaded differently.

Added a few things and left a couple out since then. Now just waiting for it this cold snap to pass so give it all an extended outing... Not to mention a full-on, geek-out photo documentation of every single item, which - for whatever reason - I'll no doubt feel compelled to carry out.

Cheers,

Michael
Whats in the 2 snugpak bags, the black and grey bags above them and the orange bag?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 AM   #4600
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 287
Cool2 Camping for Two List

Hi Michael , do you have a list of all that you carry and brands for your two up touring .
Thanks Tezza

Quote:

Set up...

... Packed down...

... And loaded on.

Cheers,

Michael
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 AM   #4601
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,517
Quote:

I think he has it down pretty well... Have to consider, its the guy and his wife, so a lot of the gear he has looks doubled. Two helinox chairs, two slepping bags, two pillows, two bags of clothes, etc.
And being the two of them on a camping trip, I don't see a reason to be in panic mode to pack up and move out.

I do a fair amount of camping both solo and with a passenger. Solo, I'm in a hammock, drunk and in bed quicker and on the road earlier. Two up, its a tent, slower getting something to eat, having a chat while enjoying taking our time while packing. Sure that may take an hr, but its all part of the experience.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 AM   #4602
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:

There's no good reason why anyone should take two hours to break camp in the morning. That has nothing to do with how much stuff he packed or how it is packed away. That has to do with him just being slow as shit. Don't make the mistake of assuming that because a guy you know can't get ready in a reasonable amount of time that it's because of how much gear he packed. I can go from fully camp unpacked in the sleeping bag to ready to roll in about fifteen minutes. If I'm really taking my time and dragging my feet, a half an hour. If I prep things the night before, I can get packed in about ten minutes in the morning. There's absolutely no way that adding a few extra things would increase my time to two hours.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #4603
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
Quote:

He said himself it was a dry run, everyone starts somewhere.

Besides, if you're the type who needs to be packed and ready to roll in 10 minutes something tells me you won't be carrying pillows and chairs. This isn't an ISDE race.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #4604
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
There's no good reason why anyone should take two hours to break camp in the morning. That has nothing to do with how much stuff he packed or how it is packed away. That has to do with him just being slow as shit. Don't make the mistake of assuming that because a guy you know can't get ready in a reasonable amount of time that it's because of how much gear he packed. I can go from fully camp unpacked in the sleeping bag to ready to roll in about fifteen minutes. If I'm really taking my time and dragging my feet, a half an hour. If I prep things the night before, I can get packed in about ten minutes in the morning. There's absolutely no way that adding a few extra things would increase my time to two hours.
I'm carrying some luxury items, I don't think I can stuff my sleeping bag, deflate, roll and pack my pad and take down and stuff my tent in 10 minutes without damaging something or forgetting something. But then again I go out of my way to get it packed as tight as can be. If the stuff sacks were more forgiving then it wouldn't take as long.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #4605
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Part of the experience is enjoying the camping and stuff, but I also enjoy riding early in the morning...it's cooler, the air feels fresher, and it just feels good. That being said, when with a group, we determine leaving time the night before. Most people are good about getting up early enough to pack, drink coffee, shake a bush, whatever and are mounting the bikes at departure time.

Those that are still packing, holding the group up for 30 minutes, aren't invited back. Everybody moves at different paces. Some people enjoy taking their sweet ass time in the morning. I enjoy riding. Sometimes two people aren't compatible when traveling. No big deal...each person can do it solo, or find others that match the way they do things. Those that want to sleep in until 10AM or longer, more power to you. By that time, I've already ridden for a few hours, and stopping for my breakfast/lunch break (breakfast bar while packing). If I want to sleep in, I'd stay at home, then go ride around the neighborhood after noon. On a journey, I want to ride and explore. We are all different in what makes us the happiest.

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site

Mastery screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 06:58 AM
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote