Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #4606
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,599
I work about 260 hours a month and get up around 5AM. Camping trips, out in the peace and quiet, are one of the ways I recharge. Sometimes I take naps, too.
For Mrs1911fan and I, mototrips are about relaxation and exploration, and you don't have to get up early to do either. We tend to hang out and chat in the mornings, and we've stopped in the midafternoon if we found a nice enough camp spot.
De gustibus non disputandam est. Just make sure, if you're riding with a group, that you are all synced up.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 AM   #4607
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I work about 260 hours a month and get up around 5AM. Camping trips, out in the peace and quiet, are one of the ways I recharge. Sometimes I take naps, too.
For Mrs1911fan and I, mototrips are about relaxation and exploration, and you don't have to get up early to do either. We tend to hang out and chat in the mornings, and we've stopped in the midafternoon if we found a nice enough camp spot.
De gustibus non disputandam est. Just make sure, if you're riding with a group, that you are all synced up.

1911fan
This
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #4608
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I'm carrying some luxury items, I don't think I can stuff my sleeping bag, deflate, roll and pack my pad and take down and stuff my tent in 10 minutes without damaging something or forgetting something. But then again I go out of my way to get it packed as tight as can be. If the stuff sacks were more forgiving then it wouldn't take as long.
I'm pretty much always unpacked at night faster than anyone I'm with, and packed in the mornings faster too. That's not to say though that some mornings I don't diddle around for a few hours drinking coffee, reading, etc. Though, even if I am taking my sweet time, I usually have everything packed up and ready to go as I'm relaxing at the camp site. Also, I always pack so there is a ton of extra room in my side cases and top box, and my stuff sacs are never over-stuffed. This way I don't have to worry about being fanatical about packing tightly. My first trip on the bike was the first and last time that I packed my luggage completely full. Having extra space to carry stuff to camp or to just not give a shit about how you pack in the morning is very stress-relieving.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #4609
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Schedule

It's your ride. Do it however you want to.
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #4610
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,747
Only if you're riding solo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophijo View Post
It's your ride. Do it however you want to.
If you're riding with others it's everybodies ride and having courtesy and respect for others is important if you're going to click throughout the ride. I agree with "you all need to be synced up".
Myself, I'm an early riser and tend to be ready before my riding partners, if I am, I just finish my coffee while they finish packing. Sometimes I get a little impatient . I like to be rolling by 8am.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #4611
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,610
[QUOTE=Mastery;23457762] That being said, when with a group, we determine leaving time the night before. ...QUOTE]

The case in point, for months ahead of time, the 'expectations' and goals were clearly discussed. The, "If you want to ride with us, this is..."

We were on a 4K ride planned for 9 days and also to cover 5 national parks, so the need was understood if we were to accomplish the clearly defined goal. Several comments during meals about trying to 'herd cats' were made and how on a previous trip one rider was left behind, achieved the desired objective.

When on your own you can do what you want, set your own pace. We set expectations that are achievable and have been for 5 trips and 20,000 miles of touring so far. We have a waiting list of persons wanting to ride with us.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #4612
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
We have a waiting list of persons wanting to ride with us.
Wow, you must be serving them morning coffee in their tents, or offering pillow fluffing service in the evenings. Or, one of those that always buy the beer!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #4613
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #4614
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 576
Enough!

You guys should start a group ride adequate thread.

TravelGuy

[QUOTE=Tsotsie;23458364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
That being said, when with a group, we determine leaving time the night before. ...QUOTE]

The case in point, for months ahead of time, the 'expectations' and goals were clearly discussed. The, "If you want to ride with us, this is..."

We were on a 4K ride planned for 9 days and also to cover 5 national parks, so the need was understood if we were to accomplish the clearly defined goal. Several comments during meals about trying to 'herd cats' were made and how on a previous trip one rider was left behind, achieved the desired objective.

When on your own you can do what you want, set your own pace. We set expectations that are achievable and have been for 5 trips and 20,000 miles of touring so far. We have a waiting list of persons wanting to ride with us.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #4615
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,747
Relax dude...

[QUOTE=TRAVELGUY;23460003]Enough!

You guys should start a group ride adequate thread.

TravelGuy

Old 02-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #4616
Ride4Coffee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
What kit ya got here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Is that a Hennssey Hammock, restrung with different ropes? If so, why the extra netting? I run a Hennessey, but my father is looking for a setup like this, with room for his bike under the tarp.
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #4617
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Whats in the 2 snugpak bags, the black and grey bags above them and the orange bag?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
Hey mate,

Not sure precisely which bags you're referring to, so I'll might as well just list it all out now (top row down and left to right):

> ALPS Mountaineering Vertex 4 tent (bought in a hurry for car camping a while back - way too big, even for two with enough gear, and not all that ventilated so will be taking the smaller one next time).

> 2 x Helinox chairs (genius).

> ENO Double Nest Hammock & Atlas Suspension Straps (luxury item for leisurely 2-up trips).

> 2 x olive stuff sacks: Summit MultiMats (bit on the narrow side, but very compact and surprisingly comfy).

> 1 x black & 1 x olive compression sacks: Snugpak Softie Merlin sleeping bags (tremendously compact, light & comfortable 2-season, mummy style bags).

> 2 x small black stuff sacks below sleeping bags: Snugpak Slik Liners (make a fair old difference when the temp drops and keeps the inside of the bags cleaner longer, or used on their own when it's just too damn hot).

> 2 x slightly larger, black stuff sacks with orange Sungpak writing: Snuggy Pillows (first time actually camping with a pillow, so can't say how they stack up against anything else, but I slept like a drunken baby on mine that weekend).

> Yellow Sea to Summit Compression Sack: 2 x Ibex Shak thermal layers (superb!), 2 x waterproofs; 1 x shorts; 1 x yoga pants (not mine!); 2 x t-shirt; 2 x socks. Sacks save a load of space and slide in and out of bike bags smoothly. I have a couple more different colored ones for his 'n' hers / wet 'n' dry / clean 'n' nasty separation, when required.

> Olive & bright green mesh bags: 1 x Snugpak Anti-Bac & 1 x Sea to Summit microfiber towels (excellent absorption, quick-drying and compact). XL Snugpak one can also be used as a rug for two people to sit / lay out on).

> Long, narrow black bag with orange piping: MeFOTO Backpacker Tripod (won't be bothering with that again, unless I want to take the kind of awesome night sky / camp fire photos that a lot of Inmate do so well on here).

> Kriega R3 Waistpack: Olympus M3/4 camera & 2 x lens (prime & general purpose) & cleaning kit etc. (small for what it is, but still too much hassle except for slow-paced, super-scenic / wildlife trips where photography is high up on the list of things to do - will generally only take the point & shoot).

> 8 x Kriega Kube 1 (1-liter) packing pods contain variously: tire repair stuff; spare parts; device chargers / batteries / back-up power cell; tent & gear repair stuff; camp tools (hand chainsaw / shovel / pocket knife / multi-tool etc); head- & flashlights / fire stuff; bodge stuff (QuickSteel / Stopleak / lube / tape / wire / zipties / paracord etc); basic toiletries.

> Adventure Medical Kit #9 supplemented with trauma dressings, whistle, snap-light, bug bite stuff, survival blankets etc.

> Black Diamond Apollo Lantern & pile of cooking equipment (usually just stuffed in a grocery bag): Sea to Summit Folding Bucket; Light My Fire sporks (Ti fer cookin', plastic fer eatin'); Nalgene canteen; Sea to Summit X-sets (plate, bowl, cup); JetBoil Sumo (burner, fuel, second pot w/ coffee press nested inside).

> Brilliant little V2 Visor Cleaners.

> Kriega Tool Roll, with pretty over-the-top, but not painful-to-use tool kit inside & Motion Pro T6 Combo Levers (with 27" and 32" box wrench ends, plus 3/8" drive adaptor insert) & Motion Pro Bead Breaker set rubberbanded on (love me some Motion Pro!).

> Mora Companion (superb lightweight, multi-purpose camp knife that will baton but not chop - might take a heftier one next time).

Since then, I've added a collapsable grill, filtration canteen, teeny pot scrubbing brush, a tarp for shade or cooking in the rain and also an fold-up ultra-sil backpack for wandering away from / transporting local supplies to camp etc, and some 'flat-pack', squishy barefoot sneakers for relief from the Sidis.

Not all gear will go on all trips and obviously, this isn't hardcore in any way and I didn't skimp on the purchases. I don't have the track bike any more, so motorcycle camping is pretty much my 'one thing' and I've been saving my pennies for it since I rocked up in the US three years ago. So, this was never intended as an exercise in frugality.

That said, it aint all that much for two people (the wife likes a few more creature comforts that I necessarily need) and I wouldn't take much different on a multi-month (which is partly what I hope to use the gear on at some point in the not-too-distant), nevermind a long weekend away. Only the items which are immediately required come off the bike (which is a big 'un, so space weight isn't all that much of an issue) each night, so it's a relatively economical / efficient set-up. Not to mention nice to use. Total pack size around 85 liters.

If I was on a smaller bike or heading off on a 'fast n light' deal, which was all about the riding (as opposed to relaxing & exploring the surrounding camp area), I'd take my bivvy & mat or hammock & tarp, bag, 'civvies', toothbrush, big knife, headlight, cooking & fire gear, canteen & MREs, basic tools and emergency medical / repair stuff and that would be it. Probably no more than 50 liters total.

So far, every item I've bought appears to be top quality and just what I wanted, so I can highly recommend it for this type of application. That said, I guess we'll see what falls off and what's really needed out in 'the field proper' very soon!

Hope this proves useful to someone.

And I told y'all I was OCD!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 04:56 PM Reason: OCD tendencies (surprise!)
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #4618
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post

Hope this proves useful to someone.
I always enjoy when somebody takes the time to detail the items in their bike kits; so if I have interest in it as well, I can look it up. Impressive setup.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #4619
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
I always enjoy when somebody takes the time to detail the items in their bike kits; so if I have interest in it as well, I can look it up. Impressive setup.
Me too... this is how ALL of the posts in this thread should be (just like the thread title reads)... likemike, thanks for the breakdown. This is how I pack too, smaller packs/bags inside the larger ones, packed according to what will/may be needed more often or sooner.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #4620
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Me too... this is how ALL of the posts in this thread should be (just like the thread title reads)... likemike, thanks for the breakdown. This is how I pack too, smaller packs/bags inside the larger ones, packed according to what will/may be needed more often or sooner.
Thanks lads. And yup: as far as I can tell, sharing info is pretty much what ADVRider is all about. And I should know... Having bought a high mileage 990 with more than its fair share of gremlins, this place, and the people in it, has been a lifesaver!

Not to mention a lot of fun.

I'll bust open the Tool Roll (in the appropriate threads [1], which helped me put it together in the first place [2], of course!) and Kube 1 packing pods to geek out over their contents next chance I get.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-13-2014 at 02:20 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote