Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #4636
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 615
Doesn't look like a joke to me. Looks like a man with a plan and a mission. I hope he enjoyed his travels.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Good Lord What are some of these people thinking when they pack? I hope that's a joke.
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #4637
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
If the mission is to ride a poor handling bike due to a top heavy load, he is bound for success!

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #4638
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
That's not camping that's moving. bete
Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #4639
NNS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
That's not camping that's moving. bete
That was my first thought also..

But let's say he is camping..
If it is his first time then he will learn a lesson..
If it is not his first time camping then he is obviously happy with the way he packs for a trip..

Either way I bet he had more fun than being on the interweb watching those who "know it all" criticize him for his choices..

NNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #4640
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
that was my first thought also..

If it is not his first time camping then he is obviously happy with the way he packs for a trip..

Either way i bet he had more fun than being on the interweb watching those who "know it all" criticize him for his choices..

DR650 '07
Old 02-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #4641
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
Talking It fits on the bike, right?

pyjama's, pagode backrest, pontifical smile.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #4642
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 676
Seeing that picture reminds me of a guy I saw at a gas station in Grand Marais MN last summer when I was on one of my long weekends. He just had an old canvas army style duffell on his lap. He was riding a Honda Magna or some thing like it. He pulled up to a pump as I was getting ready to leave. I offered him a couple of straps, no charge of course since I usually carry a couple extra just in case. He politely declined, and I told him I had enough to give him two or three if he wanted. But he said no. He seemed totally happy as a clam doing it that way. After confirming for a third time that he didn't want them I wished him well and went on my way. Some people just want to do things a certain way, their way. If doesn't make sense to us that's okay. Being out on the bike is what it's about however you want to do it.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #4643
sebnad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
some people just want to do things a certain way, their way. If doesn't make sense to us that's okay. Being out on the bike is what it's about however you want to do it.
+1
Old 02-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #4644
ERD
Custom Rider

Oddometer: 323

Seriously. This guy packed all his gear in a ski bag. Lived off the bike for 4 weeks. He cooked with some metal cups and bowls from an old Russian military mess kit with a old fashion gasoline torch. Slept in some blankets and had a hell of a good time! He gave me the flag that he traveled with for 4 weeks throughout Europe the same way last year.

One tough MF...
ERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #4645
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,860
The problem comes when it affects other people.

If this guy lost his bag or the other guy's setup gave way at the wrong time or place, it could hurt other people.

Riding motorcycles is dangerous. But it should not be dangerous to innocent people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut11 View Post
Seeing that picture reminds me of a guy I saw at a gas station in Grand Marais MN last summer when I was on one of my long weekends. He just had an old canvas army style duffell on his lap. He was riding a Honda Magna or some thing like it. He pulled up to a pump as I was getting ready to leave. I offered him a couple of straps, no charge of course since I usually carry a couple extra just in case. He politely declined, and I told him I had enough to give him two or three if he wanted. But he said no. He seemed totally happy as a clam doing it that way. After confirming for a third time that he didn't want them I wished him well and went on my way. Some people just want to do things a certain way, their way. If doesn't make sense to us that's okay. Being out on the bike is what it's about however you want to do it.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #4646
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,124
No one is innocent
on the Highway to Hell
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #4647
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394

Not an extra helmet, just perched there for the launch photo. Gone for a month, to me comfort = stamina for the next day's ride.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #4648
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNS View Post
If it is not his first time camping then he is obviously happy with the way he packs for a trip.
Looks like the foundation is a canvas pack wedged between a backrest and a topbox. I cannot tell from the picture if it's precarious or not. Might be about the weight of riding 2-up.

The canvas pack makes me think he's using gear he has instead of getting the group-approved luggage and the lightest new gear.

The caption was a bit cryptic. He doesn't seem to say that I have to do the same. (Good) He doesn't seem to call it lightweight or minimal.

If I had a choice of 2 camp spots, one next to a sano 1200cc adventure bike with Jesse, TNF, and Kermit or next to him, my guess is that the Magna (?) rider would be the more interesting.

I like my gear in a few closed bags or boxes. He does it differently.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #4649
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnin View Post
looks like the foundation is a canvas pack wedged between a backrest and a topbox. I cannot tell from the picture if it's precarious or not. Might be about the weight of riding 2-up.

The canvas pack makes me think he's using gear he has instead of getting the group-approved luggage and the lightest new gear.

The caption was a bit cryptic. He doesn't seem to say that i have to do the same. (good) he doesn't seem to call it lightweight or minimal.

If i had a choice of 2 camp spots, one next to a sano 1200cc adventure bike with jesse, tnf, and kermit or next to him, my guess is that the magna (?) rider would be the more interesting.
DR650 '07
Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #4650
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
From my first camping trip on my KLR last September. Short notice for me I put together what I had and bought a $20 tent at Walmart. There is a soft cooler with 10 bottles of water in it, the bed roll, sleeping bag, small pillow, camp stool, cheap tarp, tools, chest protector, clothes, MRE's, etc on the bike. It worked ok but this year I am slowly acquiring better gear and will pack smarter/lighter for my trips.

smithe is online now   Reply With Quote