ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #151
arcticcatmatt
wanna be adventurer

Oddometer: 533
djg - I didn't even know them shock mounts existed! Did you find them locally?

I found them on www.mcmaster.com
just search for 9376k571

What one did you use? I am guessing the 1/2" spacer/shock?

I am thinking option 1 is the one you used?
I think I am going to order part number 9376k571 or 9376k114 (that one is rated at 15 lbs each).

Thanks for the tip!!! I am going to pick up another stainless ubolt from home depot and a sheet of stainless if I don't have any at work
arcticcatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #152
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
shock mounts

These mounts are left over from my model airplane days. I cannot give you a source or part number. I'm sure McMaster has good ones. The mount is attached to the bars with two adel clamps. These are rubber padded clamps used in aircraft for many things. You can see them on my big ugly bar mounted light switch.

The only problem with these shock mounts is you cannot use lock nuts on them, the torque required to tighten the nuts distorts the rubber. Regular nuts, lockwashers, loctite.

These shock mounts are about 1/2" dia. and 1/2" long, with an 8-32 stud on each end. This mount took about 2 hours to make, came out great. The 2610 fits perfectly without blocking anything. TDM850.

djg screwed with this post 08-10-2007 at 04:45 PM
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #153
arcticcatmatt
wanna be adventurer

Garmin is the best!

I sent my 2610 out on the 9th! Thats Thursday last week!!

I just called and got the tracking number of the replacement. Its being delivered by UPS right now the 14th.

Thats 6 days INCLUDING the weekend. Can it get any faster than that?

Yes, hold time on the phone was 20 mins.. but who cares when the customer service is that good

Now.. lets just hope the new unit last longer than 3 hours
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #154
2wheeldeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Plan on getting a 2610 in the next couple of days but read something on the gps geek thread way above my head about mac incompatability. I have an ibook 12" is this a big enough issue to not buy the 2610 or is it more related to topo map downloading. I am pretty new to gps use .

Deb
2wheeldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #155
arcticcatmatt
wanna be adventurer

What a nightmare

I got the 2610, it broke, I sent it back, I get it in, I try in install it and keep getting registry error, reinstall.

3 times later.. laptop dead. Hard drive failure. I lost everything and have a new hard drive coming. 5 days ago I put 50 gigs of backed up old CD's onto my PC of pictures and such. I burned the CD's in the fire pit. I was backing them up this coming weekend onto DVD disk. What do you know,, lost it. 5 days without a back up and it happend.

Its like someones house burning down and they lost all of their familiy photo albums. Sucks. I shouldn't have tossed them old CD's with all the photos on them
Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #156
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
otter box is perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcatmatt
What a nightmare

I got the 2610, it broke, I sent it back, I get it in, I try in install it and keep getting registry error, reinstall.

3 times later.. laptop dead. Hard drive failure. I lost everything and have a new hard drive coming. 5 days ago I put 50 gigs of backed up old CD's onto my PC of pictures and such. I burned the CD's in the fire pit. I was backing them up this coming weekend onto DVD disk. What do you know,, lost it. 5 days without a back up and it happend.

Its like someones house burning down and they lost all of their familiy photo albums. Sucks. I shouldn't have tossed them old CD's with all the photos on them
I know your woes ..... same here .... I think someone, or something doesn't want us to do something or go somewhere ...... I'm ready for a drink, how'bout you? While downloading some POIs from gpspassion my hd crashed ..... then last night while running diskwarrior on the crashed hd to recover some data my power supply to my laptop shorts out. When it all works technology is great ........ hummm..... out of beer ..... got tequila though!
Meanwhile though, I found an otterbox that fits the 2610 like a glove and going to mount the otterbox on a plate that is mounted by my handlebar bolts. The lid will be a sunscreen, and I'll put a hasp and lock on it .... of course this will only keep away the honest folk .... but it's easy enough to remove the 2610 while away for any sort of time, like while in a motel room overnight or such.

http://www.otterbox.com/products/otterbox/2500/
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #157
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcatmatt
What a nightmare

It is possible to recover data from a failed hard drive but it isn't cheap. Do a Google search for "damaged hard drive data recovery". For my photos and other valuable data I back-up to multiple drives.
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #158
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbender
It is possible to recover data from a failed hard drive but it isn't cheap. Do a Google search for "damaged hard drive data recovery". For my photos and other valuable data I back-up to multiple drives.
I've been doing cd/dvd backups, but now I'm going to add my external firewire hard drive, partion it, and have a bit to bit copy of my main internal hd. ...... you let down your guard for a moment and these gremlins start to bite! and got to save all my hard earned 2610 tracks and waypoints starting now ...... btw, at least in the mac world, "disk warrior" does a pretty good job of repairing and recovering data, and I'm sure there's something out there for PCs as well ..... now to get ready for tropical depression #5 headed straight for me .....
Old 08-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #159
arcticcatmatt
wanna be adventurer

I got booze! It helps haha. I lost my last 900 mile adventure ride tracks too.

I got a thing that allows you to plug the laptop HDD into it and use it via USB to a working PC but it has the wrong connections. So I have to research more and see if I can find something.

Diagnostic tests tell me junk HDD. So I may be SOL anyways.

I have a new one in the mail but I just want my photos and gps tracks back. Oh well I guess. From now on, i will back up weekly.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #160
Zrexrob
Fla Mountains...yep!

Oddometer: 1,715
Ok...I joined the club and just ordered a 2610 also

Seven deadly sins Seven ways to win Seven holy paths to hell And your trip begins...
Zrexrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #161
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Dr. Dennis prescribes tequila for those computer woes ....... trust me! ... oh, and don't mix your meds ........

.... and got my 2610 mounted onto my bike with the otterbox, and I got my tripod head with quick release mounted next to it, and it's looking good. Even got a lock down installed. ..... but the on/off switch is now down inside the box, so I'm going to mount an external on/off switch. I'm going to use the lid as part of the sun shield but still have to make some sides that fold down from the lid section ...... think i deserve a tequila shot! pics when I'm finished.

Tropical Storm Erin (#5) looks like it went north of me, so I played with my bike/gps some today .... might even be able to get some riding in this weekend if we don't get any rain, and so far we got none ......
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #162
VIPER6
VIPER6

Oddometer: 216
Garmin Kicks ass... sent me all the new mapsoftware and downloading now... excellent advice all around from ADVRider members! Thanks

Also, asked Garmin to send me a new cable for my old STPIII so I can hook it up via USB... theyt said sure, sending it for free. GARMIN ROCKS!!!!
VIPER6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #163
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

I finally got my City Navigator North America 2008 dvd in the mail yesterday! ..... and can't wait to try out loading it onto my non-intel mac with the new beta software for mac. .... maybe get around to it this weekend after I finish getting some product out the door (I feel like an industrial robot most of the time). installation report to follow .......
Old 08-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #164
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis
I finally got my City Navigator North America 2008 dvd in the mail yesterday! ..... and can't wait to try out loading it onto my non-intel mac with the new beta software for mac. .... maybe get around to it this weekend after I finish getting some product out the door (I feel like an industrial robot most of the time). installation report to follow .......

Hi,

What beta software allows you to use CN on a non intel Mac?
A link to it would be nice.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #165
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

garmin beta software for mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
Hi,

What beta software allows you to use CN on a non intel Mac?
A link to it would be nice.

JR356
aaaaah ..... you need to head over to:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/macmap/messages
to stay ontop of the gps for mac subject .....

and this is the garimin download site:
(though I haven't yet tried it out yet)
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...s.jsp?id=3701.