Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #181
aka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
Is the 2610 screen any good in direct sunlight?

I used to have Streetpilot 3, and the screen - and therefore the whole unit - was completely useless in direct bright sunlight. It was not possible to see anything on the screen.

I see 2610 uses an LCD screen and I am concerned that it may also completely wash out in direct sunlight.

For those of you who purchased and used the unit on a bright sunny day, how is it?
I just got mine mounted but all i can suggest is to read the reviews from when it came out. They all thought it had a wonderful screen in daylight compared to the competition at the time. It is still better than most non- m/c specific models and certainly the best in-daylight screen for $195.
aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #182
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka
I just got mine mounted but all i can suggest is to read the reviews from when it came out. They all thought it had a wonderful screen in daylight compared to the competition at the time. It is still better than most non- m/c specific models and certainly the best in-daylight screen for $195.
I can see mine in direct sunlight with polarized sunglasses on, though it isn't exactly easy. I did turn the brightness and contrast up considerably from the default settings. You'll want to dial the brightness back at night, even with the night-mode display.

Anyone figure out how to get it to display temperature, other than putting it into diagnostic mode (hold down the middle two buttons while turning it on). Looks like it has a temperature sensor, but no software to actually display it in normal use.
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #183
aka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
I can see mine in direct sunlight with polarized sunglasses on, though it isn't exactly easy. I did turn the brightness and contrast up considerably from the default settings. You'll want to dial the brightness back at night, even with the night-mode display.

Anyone figure out how to get it to display temperature, other than putting it into diagnostic mode (hold down the middle two buttons while turning it on). Looks like it has a temperature sensor, but no software to actually display it in normal use.
I think that's an internal sensor to monitor the unit temperature and not exposed to the outside air. I don't see how useful it would be to know that temperature; it's probably just there to stop the unit from overheating and damaging itself.
aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #184
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,914
I registered my 2610 on garmin.com, went to "MyGarmin," and looked for update options. The only update seems to be to pay $75 for CityNav NA 2008.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #185
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
When you gat to the pay. Just keep going. If you are entitled it will be free. Even when it asked for a CC#, I didn't entr it. Not real intuitive, but keep trying. I did two this last week.
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:01 PM   #186
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISDTBower
When you gat to the pay. Just keep going. If you are entitled it will be free. Even when it asked for a CC#, I didn't entr it. Not real intuitive, but keep trying. I did two this last week.
Thanks for the tip!

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 PM   #187
irnbru
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
My 2610 was registered May 21st and I got the free upgrade to CN2008 so you should definately get it if you have just purchased it.

I was surprised to get it but won't be tellin, sshhhhhh
irnbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #188
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
I registered my 2610 on garmin.com, went to "MyGarmin," and looked for update options. The only update seems to be to pay $75 for CityNav NA 2008.
As mentioned don't worry about the $75.00. Just because you read it on the internet doesn't mean it is true! Order the 2008 disk, free, and when you get it go through the update precedure. As you do that you will get to the point were it says $0.00. I did 2 this week with no problems.
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #189
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,300
Pissed I hate you guys!

Damn it all to hell, just pulled the trigger on this deal too!
You guys are going to make me poor, well directed but poor! Now on to the mount questions!
Yikes!

Now where is that thread for adapting the navIII stock 1200gs plug to the this dealio? hmmmmmm.
If anyone has it handy post away, will start the hunt now
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 AM   #190
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
You are going to love it! Big for the bars but works well. I got one of these for my daughter who is now working for an offroad mag. Lots of travel to the boonies and manufacturers. 2GB chip + CNv8. She reports that it "Kicks A%%" over the in-truck GPS systems, etc. Great to travel by. Looks like I lost that one so going to order another...Yes, this is getting expensive!
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #191
AngryScot

hate the waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISDTBower
You are going to love it! Big for the bars but works well. I got one of these for my daughter who is now working for an offroad mag. Lots of travel to the boonies and manufacturers. 2GB chip + CNv8. She reports that it "Kicks A%%" over the in-truck GPS systems, etc. Great to travel by. Looks like I lost that one so going to order another...Yes, this is getting expensive!
I am too cheap to pay for fast shipping but hate waiting! Kinda stupid!
I was using a wee PDA gps which was ok, but small screen and the like.
I never owned one before so this will be fun. Ordered up some ram mount bits to try out, might hack a misel type mount for ther GS have to see how I like the different positions. Close on the bars or off above the gauges, they all have there good/bad points. Guess trial and error will tell which is best for me. May just spend the $20 and get the cosco deal on the 2gb card, although I have several 1gb laying around. Perhaps just load of the western states no big plans to travel east yet!
My father in-law bought one too right after I told him the deal. So I had to get one to be able to do tech support on the phone
Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #192
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot
Perhaps just load of the western states no big plans to travel east yet!
You'll probably get 3/4 or more of the US and Canada on a 1gb card by starting from the west coast. The east coast is a memory hog.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #193
AngryScot

Thumb thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman
You'll probably get 3/4 or more of the US and Canada on a 1gb card by starting from the west coast. The east coast is a memory hog.
Seems I will save the $ for something else, and will go with one of 3 1gb cards I have 3 gathering dust(bought a 4gb for the DSLR)!
Mount and farkle from touratech arrive tomorrow and GPS should be here day after! I am excited!!!!!! ooooo, eh someone got a paper towel?!?!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #194
AngryScot

Thumb woohooo

So it arrived! Went to mygarmin and logged in and registered, clicked on my device and whammo free disc as promised for v8.
Go the MC mount too. Now to find some wiring threads as I am not certain for me the best place to put the thing!

The dirty box looked like the thing had seen better days but the inside was fine.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #195
arcticcatmatt
wanna be adventurer

Oddometer: 533
I just used mine on a 2500+ mile cage trip from central NY to northern MN.

GREAT! I went to a friends house in OH via address
- the 2610 took me to a fence where a road recently was closed haha and a few streets that were now blocked off and I have the new 2008. But no big deal. I just used the on screen map and not the router and got where I was going. It was VERY close on its own.

I picked up a buddy south of Chicago
- Took me to his doorstep without an issue!

I stopped at a fellow ADV'ers house in Wisconsin to drop off some east coast beer (yuengling) to say thanks for the GPS mount help.
- Took me to his door step

I stayed at a campground in MN
- It found the road but couldn't find the campsite loop number Big deal, got me there

This this is great. My buddys now want a GPS unit. I call her "lola" and she works great. Was even accurate with the time it puts on the screen (unless I hit contruction and then it adjusted).

I don't know how I ever survived without this baby
arcticcatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote