ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #31
thetoecutter
Cutter of Toes

Oddometer: 1,814
thanks for the link, just ordered one!

thetoecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #32
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedt
I just got mine about a month ago and it came with CityNavigator NA V7. According to the website I was suppose to get a free upgrade to v8, so I filled everything out and waited. After a month passed without a new DVD, I emailed Garmin. Turns out they aren't shipping any more v8's. Here's their response.
Which web site mentioned the free update? I didn't think that Garmin was doing that anymore.
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #33
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,166
Placed mine with mc kit just a minute ago.

Thanks for posting this thread up.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 AM   #34
mikedt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbender
Which web site mentioned the free update? I didn't think that Garmin was doing that anymore.
I read the same thing a week or two after I walked through garmin's site that lead me to a free update. IIRC I just did the unlock registration, went to mygarmin and on to updates.

Maybe I slipped under the wire (I registered 5/30/07) or maybe, just as they're ready to ship me v9, they'll come to the conclusion that I don't deserve a free update.
mikedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #35
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
I read the same thing a week or two after I walked through garmin's site that lead me to a free update. IIRC I just did the unlock registration, went to mygarmin and on to updates.

Maybe I slipped under the wire (I registered 5/30/07) or maybe, just as they're ready to ship me v9, they'll come to the conclusion that I don't deserve a free update.
My Garmin was the one place on the site I didn't look. I just did it and they are now shipping V9. I just feel that the disk is free but the unlock code will be $75.00. I should know soon.
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #36
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
I jsut registered my 2610, then went to "my garmin" ....
and they are sending the DVD:
"City Navigator North America 2008 DVD"
What came in my box was:
"City navigator North America v7"

But it didn't mention if it was v8 or v9 ........
or is that the program MapSource thats v8 or v9 ?
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #37
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis
I jsut registered my 2610, then went to "my garmin" ....
and they are sending the DVD:
"City Navigator North America 2008 DVD"
What came in my box was:
"City navigator North America v7"

But it didn't mention if it was v8 or v9 ........
or is that the program MapSource thats v8 or v9 ?
Hi,

There will be no City Navigator 9,they changed the name,the"2008" is the latest version of City Navigator,just released.

Mapsource is only up to the 6.1something version now

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:30 AM   #38
John Harden
Commuting Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Re: 2610

I've been toying with the idea of a 2610 off this site as $199 is a smokin' deal.

However, I've seen Zuma 550's for as low as $550 refurbished and $645 new. That's a big price difference over the 2610, but the functionality of the bottons on the left seem to be very compelling.

Any thoughts on this? How do you folks toy wth your GPS when riding (granted, at slow speed in the right hand lande) when the buttons are on the right?

I'm also confused about how to wire it. Is there a "plug" under the fairing on a 07 GSA that I can plug either model in to, or do I have to go straight to the battery? If I go to the battery, won't I need to manually turn it on and off each time when I start the bike?'

Regards,

John
John Harden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #39
mikedt
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't find the left hand buttons that big of a hinderence that I'd pay $350-$450 to fix that "problem." 2 gps for the same price with left or right controls, I'd go left. But for that much extra, I don't think so. There better be some other damn compelling function to make me cough up that kind of difference.

I don't have an 07 gs, but given what I've read about canbus, sooner or later you're going to need to hook up stuff outside of it. Too many gizmos exceed the allowed draw of a canbus controlled electircal outlet. So you might as well break down now and install a fusebox and relay connected directly to your battery to power your farkles. Search this site and you'll find a lot of people have already done this and get some ideas of how you want to do your bike.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products.php?mid=1 sells the bmw style connectors.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 AM   #40
mikedt
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railbender
My Garmin was the one place on the site I didn't look. I just did it and they are now shipping V9. I just feel that the disk is free but the unlock code will be $75.00. I should know soon.
Yup. It looks like disk is free, unlock $75. Mine showed up last night and when it went out and logged into mygarmin it told me I didn't have an unlock code. The "no upgrade" policy went into effect may 4th. I think I'll call them and see if I can sweet talk them into a free upgrade. After all, v8 had already been out on the street for quite a while when I got my gps with the v7 disk. At the very least it seems like they owe me a v8 unlock code.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #41
derekm
nOOb

Oddometer: 45
I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2610 from my Streetpilot III but wanted to clarify something. Will I be able to load maps to both the old and new units through the software? Currently my SPIII is stuck with only the loaded maps because I lost the unlock code ( DOH!!) and then my hardrive failed. I had to reinstall and garmin was unsympathetic, they said to purchase the mapsource software to the tune of $139 or so. (they said because I bought the unit used they couldn't reissue a code.)

Any chance my old unit could become useable again through this deal??

PS- I will probably go for it anyway, but it would be nice to be able to leave one in the car and one on the bike.
derekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #42
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Yup. It looks like disk is free, unlock $75. Mine showed up last night and when it went out and logged into mygarmin it told me I didn't have an unlock code. The "no upgrade" policy went into effect may 4th. I think I'll call them and see if I can sweet talk them into a free upgrade. After all, v8 had already been out on the street for quite a while when I got my gps with the v7 disk. At the very least it seems like they owe me a v8 unlock code.
Not so fast there Mike... I just received my refurb'd 2610 from Edge GPS yesterday, then went to Garmin's support site and sent email to them asking if I could get upgraded software. Got a reply back the next day from 'Damon' in product support asking me to send them confirmation of my order. I fwd'd the email from Edge GPS, and Damon then asked for my address, and will be sending me the FREE upgrade to version 2008. I was typing the reply back to Damon asking about whether I was just getting the DVD and then would have to pay $75 to unlock it, when I got another email with a NEW unlock code for version 2008. Since I don't yet have the new DVD (it is on its way), I can't be 100% certain, but it sure seems like this upgrade to 2008 was FREE. Thanks Garmin!
Corvette Manuals for sale
sonic578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #43
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Fine......
I'm think'n I got a good deal on a used Lowrance iFINDER H2O hand held ($80.00), paid a hun'ered bucks for software & card reader, another $35.00 for a DVD reader (I'm sporting an 8 year old computer), and am currently fighting power cut-outs on the thing at high rpm's (FZ1).

I figured it was time to get over my fear of GPS and made an impulse purchase. THE DAMN THING IS NAUTICAL, and forget about turn-by-turn directions!

So what do I wake up to this morning? My buddy sends me this link to you guys discussing a $200 GPS better suited for (our) needs.
Lovely, just lovely.......
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #44
Kraftsman 73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Does the Garmin 2610 have the ability to imput an address directly into the GPS via the touch screen? Say during a trip you want to visit family. Can you imput the address into unit and the GPS will find the location of the address? I have an old Street Pilot III that I have yet to hook up to my computer. I did acquire a 60C used and a new 60CSx late last year. So far the MapSource software has been a bust. Unable to load a brand new MetroGuide USA disc into laptop. Also, the used 60C came with setup disc, and City Select North America V5 and V7. Inserted setup disc into laptop. Round and round went the disc, but no data to screen. Phooey!! So I have e-mails into Garmin to get situation resolved. I was hoping during my time away from work to at least start to learn about the Garmin GPSs and the mapping programs.
We will see.
The Ailing Kraftsman 73
Kraftsman 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #45
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftsman 73
Does the Garmin 2610 have the ability to imput an address directly into the GPS via the touch screen?
Yes. Great unit! For that price I may get another.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote