ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #46
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Yes. Great unit! For that price I may get another.
Yes, it is a great unit. I used mine last week for the first time. Going to meet a client, I just searched Lodging, Crowne Plaza Irvine, and it took me right to the hotel. After our meeting, I needed to hit Costco, so I typed in "costco" under the "shopping" search, and it took me right to one three miles away...

Now I just need to mount the thing on the Wee Strom. I'm thinking of the SW Motech mount, but it looks like there are two types of cradles for the 2610. One from Garmin has the security screw, hard-wire kit and audio connector. The other one just looks like a plastic cradle. Any recommendations on which one works better??
Old 07-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #47
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom
Any recommendations on which one works better??
Works better? Don't know but I've had success with the cradle made by RAM on my RTP. Picked up a second one for the KLR. It may be in place for CroMag this weekend. If not I plan to give it thorough testing on the 'Puppy Dog' ride in Vermont the next weekend. YMMV
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #48
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
Mine came in yesterday and immediately set it up. No communication between the gps and my pc. I have to call tech support this morning and required downloading of the USB driver from Garmin. Then, go to the My Computer/System Properties/Device Manager in able to complete the setup.

Tech support waiting time is about 30 minutes this morning.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase and this may be the best buy at the moment.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #49
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,274
2610 wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagerda
I have not yet done any electrical hookups on my GS. Any surprises headed my way?? Where do I tie in?

Planning to call TT Monday to see if I can get a mount here in time.
I got my 2610 in and still getting used to it ...... instead of spending more bucks on mounts and wiring kits I made my own .....

I cut the "brick" off from the AC cord and reconnected it with a two wire trailer lighting connector. I also used the same type of connector on a small (pack of cigarettes sized) gel cell +12vdc battery for portable operation, and added another connector off my bike's battery line .

Now with this connector setup I can either be hardwired to the bike, portable on battery power, or inside the house, all with the same wiring kit. Then there's the car cable, and that just stays in the jeep.

Off my handlebars I have a plate to which I have some foam, and just bungie the 2610 to it. I also have my camera tripod head mounted off one corner and there's room for my kill switch. Still working out a sun shield ..... pics coming ..... all this works ok on the streets around town, but hadn't been offroad yet to really test it out .... it's got to be able to handle jumps and landings!

oh, btw, I discovered "setting a waypoint" quickly by holding down the top right hand button. didn't find this written down anywhere yet ......

.... and hoping the breadcrumb trail is useable off road ......
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #50
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!

I just got my free CN2008 CD in the mail today and via my garmin my free unlock code.

$199 Yea Baby!!!!!!
I was prepared to pay for the upgrade to 2008.

I'm liking the update. Much better waterway detail, not up to Lowrance standards but much improved. Lots of new roads in my area. Ones I just started to be able to ride on in the past few months.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 07-24-2007 at 08:25 PM
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #51
wintonio
last of the Dum Dum Daze

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger
WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!

I just got my free CN2008 CD in the mail today and via my garmin my free unlock code.

$199 Yea Baby!!!!!!
I was prepared to pay for the upgrade to 2008.

I'm liking the update. Much better waterway detail, not up to Lowrance standards but much improved. Lots of new roads in my area. Ones I just started to be able to ride on in the past few months.
sorry for a stupid question, but: where on the my Garmin site did you dind the free unlock code? I just got a return email stating that I wouldn't get a v8 cd, and wouldhave to buy 2008. I just got my 2610 from Edge GPS the other day, and want to upgrade. Thanks
wintonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #52
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
I registered my 2610 thru "mygarmin" when I received it from Edge earlier this month.
After CN2008 was released a "map update" option showed up on mygarmin under my 2610.

Thru that option I ordered the CN2008 disc but was surprised that I was not asked for a credit card number.
I figured they would pop me when I went to unlock it.

I received the CN2008 CD on Tuesday and installed it.
During the install it asked for the unlock code and had an option to retrieve it from the Garmin web site.
During that process I got a message that I was not entitled to an upgrade.
That was fine, I was figuring on that, but now what?

I closed out of the CN2008 upgrade and went to "mygarmin" again figuring I would need to buy the unlock code.
This time "unlock update CD" was an option under my 2610.
I went thru that and the last screen came up with $0.00 amount due.
I clicked submit and BINGO it gave me the unlock code.

I re-installed CN2008 (I may not have had to do this BTW), entered the code and everything worked.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 07-27-2007 at 06:52 AM
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:05 AM   #53
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I would call Garmin support for the Edge/2610 unit. I bought two from Edge because of the good news on this thread. I called Support this morning, and got all squared away.
Register your unit with v7
Send a faxed or scanned copy of your Edge receipt to techsupp
They will send new DVD's and unlock codes.

Pretty much like others have said on this thread. Since you received an email back....I would call directly, and say that you bought the "overhauled unit" expecting the 2008 upgrade. The tech may have to check with the boss, but it was simple and consistent with others.

This policy seems reasonable, as they are trying to move a lot of old inventory without the hassle of re-boxing everything. Probably half of the sales will go un-updated anyhow..
Good Luck.
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #54
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oger
I registered my 2610 thru "mygarmin" when I received it from Edge earlier this month.
After CN2008 was released a "map update" option showed up on mygarmin under my 2610.

Thru that option I ordered the CN2008 disc but was surprised that I was not asked for a credit card number.
I figured they would pop me when I went to unlock it.

I received the CN2008 CD on Tuesday and installed it.
During the install it asked for the unlock code and had an option to retrieve it from the Garmin web site.
During that process I got a message that I was not entitled to an upgrade.
That was fine, I was figuring on that, but now what?

I closed out of the CN2008 upgrade and went to "mygarmin" again figuring I would need to buy the unlock code.
This time "unlock update CD" was an option under my 2610.
I went thru that and the last screen came up with $0.00 amount due.
I clicked submit and BINGO it gave me the unlock code.

I re-installed CN2008 (I may not have had to do this BTW), entered the code and everything worked.
I just did the same thing thing and it worked!!! Life is good!
Railbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #55
Homeskillet
Exit Flagger

Oddometer: 227
Sorry, we're fresh out

Due to an AdvRider market rush, looks like Edge is fresh out of the $200 2610's. But not to worry, I went ahead and ordered one last night, since it looks like they will get some more soon:

Please Note: We are temporarily out of stock of these units. We will be receiving a shipment Monday 7/30 and all orders will ship on or after that date.

(from their website)

I've never owned/operated a GPS and I'm really looking forward to getting lost less. It's quite funny/ironic how fifteen minutes before I found this thread, I was making hard copies from a road atlas, beefing up the old-fashioned way for my next dual-wheeled interstate adventure. Thanks everyone!
IBA#21709
BMW RA #29106
2007 1200GS ADV (Bedazzlement made affordable)
1971 Kawasaki 500 Mach III (under restoration)
Homeskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #56
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeskillet
Due to an AdvRider market rush, looks like Edge is fresh out of the $200 2610's. But not to worry, I went ahead and ordered one last night, since it looks like they will get some more soon:

Please Note: We are temporarily out of stock of these units. We will be receiving a shipment Monday 7/30 and all orders will ship on or after that date.

(from their website)

I've never owned/operated a GPS and I'm really looking forward to getting lost less. It's quite funny/ironic how fifteen minutes before I found this thread, I was making hard copies from a road atlas, beefing up the old-fashioned way for my next dual-wheeled interstate adventure. Thanks everyone!
Ordering mine now. not sure about getting the mount though.
I might just get the mount anyway and suck it up if the mount isn't what I want.
I'm in the same boat as I have never used a GPS either.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #57
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Done. I hope the get them in on the 30th like stated. I'll need a few days learning to use a GPS.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #58
VIPER6
VIPER6

Oddometer: 216
I LOVE ADVrider! I was looking for a new GPS and this is the exact one BMW sells without the left side add on controls (I think).

Anyway, $218 shipped for a refurb with brand the latest (eventually) new software is AWESOME! Thanks guys!

I may even get one for my father... drag him into the 21st century!
VIPER6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #59
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER6
I LOVE ADVrider! I was looking for a new GPS and this is the exact one BMW sells without the left side add on controls (I think).

Anyway, $218 shipped for a refurb with brand the latest (eventually) new software is AWESOME! Thanks guys!

I may even get one for my father... drag him into the 21st century!
all the BMW guys will jump on your shit for that comment....
but, that being said, I have a 2610 too (have had for years) and it's GREAT!

only downside is I paid $450 or so for mine....

oh well

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #60
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
Good job Oger, otherwise I would have purchased the update.

Did exactly what you said and it worked - got my CN 08 unlcock code.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote