User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 AM   #31
GSposer
poser

Oddometer: 390
Great ride report!.......great bike!

This spider crap however is creepin' me out!!!!.......
Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 AM   #32
XR-TEX
Watching My Back

Oddometer: 451
Great Job LoneStar!
Enjoying your report & Pics.
XR-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #33
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371

This is what I feel like when I come across great rider reports like this. I wake up, fire up the coffee pot and turn on advrider. This is one outstanding job, and I know how much time and effort goes into putting it together. The narrative is first class and so is the photography.

Thanks also for the maps, which help a ton in visualizing where everything is taking place. Based on this report, I'm going to find Hank at Rhinewest BMW in San Antonio and get those Ohlins put on my GSA. Then I'm going to use this RR as a model for my own - and hope to do a tenth as good.

Just refilled my cup......this is the greatest website in the world. Muchas Gracias!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #34
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
Hi Joseph! Your photos and report are great! I just wonder what happened in the arachnid motel room after you were asleep. Probably something like this.

Ha hah hahahahaha! Robert you are too funny! That pretty much describes the feeling, however I left early before the animals got in the room.
Toooooo funny man

The scariest part was wondering if they had gotten into my boots and gear the next morning. I swear I could feel things crawling around in my jacket as I was riding the next day...
LoneStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #35
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
BTW, great report and beautiful pics. But I saw your bike parked in front of the western ho store. Which do you think are better?...western ho's or eastern ho's. I've heard lots of differing opinions on the issue.

OK, OK, I realize that was pretty lame...LOL! Hey, really enjoying the ride, and your write-up is great. Man...the spiderfest in that quality lodging establishment sounds erie. When you awoke in the AM, was your tent covered in hundreds of spiders, just like in the horror movies?
I knew I'd get that question - not sure but I saw a Harley Ho hanging out in front of a bar in Red Lodge

Were you the two guys who parked there for a few minutes?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #36
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Trice - just do it
Old 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #37
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

July 4, 2007

I slept good and spider free at the Super 8 Motel in Dillon. The night before I'd spent a while talking to the girl behind the counter and her husband, an ex Ranger before heading out to get a good steak.

That's what you call "tacos to go"

Morning coffee

The morning air was brisk and there wasn't a cloud in the sky when I headed south on the interstate to catch 287 west towards Bannack and Wisdom.

The cloudless sky allowed me to really appreciate the "Big Sky" of Montana. It's been interesting to sense the differing feelings of different states. They do have a "feel" that is their own.

287 towards Bannack was rolling hills and sweeping vistas and long long stretches seeing no one. It's amazing to be able to ride long spells and see no sign of humanity. It's refreshing and also triggers those little fears of breaking down alone.

Don't miss Bannack if you're near. It was the frontier capitol of Montana and is a ghost town not to be missed. The state maintains it as a park - looks like a great place to camp also - and you can walk through the buildings and read the stories of gunfights and wild west adventures. I will come back to really search the town.

Montana has a sense of history and stepping back in time like I've seen nowhere else. People drive old cars, and there are many old buildings strewn here and there. Not only that, the people are friendly and filled with what seems to be lacking in America nowadays. I feel tinges of the feelings I had as a child in the 60's - remnants of America that I miss.

While there I met 2 riders from Canada who had stayed at the Super 8 - I'd seen their bikes there the night before.

I continued on to Wisdom, taking a tushie timeout, tossing on a jacket liner in the nippy air and gulped a bag of M&M's for the road. There is a great trading post there. The usual Harleys were parked in rows with the watchful eye of the sheriff waiting for a speeder to come through.

From Wisdom I headed on 43 west and swung into the Big Hole Battlefield. This was where Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce had fought a battle with the US Cavalry as he had moved east towards Yellowstone and Cody. God did I want to stay and walk the paths through that valley! There is nothing like ancient battlefields for sensing the power of history. Once again, a place I'd love to return to with more time.

Getting back on 43, I headed on up Chief Joseph Pass, a beautiful road with nice sweepers and of course beautiful mountain views.

I've really enjoyed riding in Montana because there are few people and the roads are mostly left to yourself. FInally reached the junction of 93 that heads up into the Bitterroot Valley towards Missoula. Coming down the pass the winds kept the switchbacks "interesting" and I almost overshot a couple of corners. I still forget the extra weight on the bike sometimes.

The Bitterroot is a beautiful valley between ranges that has the feel of a place in the infancy of becoming another Jackson, Wyoming. The population is growing and it's easy to see why folks are moving there. Actually it's sad to me and I feel for the locals who will slowly be pushed out by the wealth of outsiders. Nonetheless it is a beautiful valley. I continued on to Stevensville where I will be staying for a few days and exploring the area. There were lots of folks on the river for the 4th, and my friend and I went to visit her relatives for a barbecue bash and fireworks frenzy.

Several folks had gathered on the back deck of the house and I plopped down next to a couple from California. In the chitchat it came out that I had ridden from Texas to Montana, having just ridden in today. The couple, Kelly and Kay asked what kind of motorcycle I rode and I said "Well, have you ever heard of a BMW GS?" Big smiles erupted and they burst into laughter. Kelly informed me that they had just ridden in from Cali on GS's - him on a 1200 GSA and Kay on a GS650. What a hoot! Here in the middle of Montana at a family BBQ I bump into a couple of GS'ers.

We ate fantastic bbq ribs, had some good wine and played Red Neck Horseshoes with washers until the darkness came.

This is when the party began... I have never seen such a stockpile of fireworks in my life. These guys were serious.

The neighborhood consisted of 10 acre plots of fields in the valley with fireworks erupting all over the valley. Our hosts had prepared for the event with large launch tables, buckets of water about the place and a field of tall grass prepped with mown firebreaks and prepositioned water hoses.

The kids were launching rockets to the cheers of the household, and sure enough the field got a hot rocket. Fire blazed up and we raced around throwing buckets of water to no avail. The "fire marshall" finally got a hose to it and doused the blaze. Neighbors across the way cheered loudly and we did a victory dance.

Needless to say this pattern continued until late. We'd start a fire and the the neighbors would start a fire. Each was successfully doused but it was always a rush. Luckily my hosts were fireworks pros

We finally won the contest, starting 5 field fires to the neighbor's paltry 2.

I have vivid memories of this 4th of July... the cool evening, silhouettes of the mountains with shimmering stars in a clear sky and the valley filled with thousands of fireworks from homes all through the valley.

What a way to end my 2,761 mile ride.

America the beautiful lives on in hidden places...

LoneStar screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 10:27 AM
Old 07-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #38
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,270
Squeaky Clean Senators . . .

I had to laugh at your comment about the Senator at the Cody parade. I would hope to find him squeaky clean if I even found myself on his operating table. Until a week ago, he was a surgeon.

If by Squeaky clean, you mean he is uncorrupted, I can explain that too. He's only been in the senate for a week, having been appointed to serve out the unexpired term of our previous senator, who died recently. He's not filthy yet, since he didn't have to get elected. Give him a few weeks. He'll be as dirty as the rest!
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #39
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 421
Welcome to Montana!

Welcome to Montana Lonestar! Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I have enjoyed your top notch ride report. Be safe - have fun!
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #40
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Great report!

PLEEEZE tell me those Bison pictures were taken with a ZoooooooooooooM!

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #41
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Joseph, love the fireworks story. I notice you keep making the statement, "gotta come back and check this place out". I'd really recommend you do that, and it's almost always well worth the effort. In my many years of pavement touring, I did lots of "whilwind" trips covering lots of country...making observations like yours about coming back to this and that spot. Well, I've made it back to many of those places and spent days and sometimes weeks enjoying those places up close and more personal. And you're right...some of them will be gone in short order...and with them a whole other way of life.

I've enjoyed your perspective about some of these places and the people that live there. Things are changing...and definitely not all for the better. Great write-up.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 AM   #42
OTHDog
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hey man!

Been following your trail and enjoying the pics. Awesome, man. I think I live about 150 miles from you and would like to visit sometime. You ever been to Comfort?
OTHDog
OTHDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #43
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,590
Ah, Comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHDog
Been following your trail and enjoying the pics. Awesome, man. I think I live about 150 miles from you and would like to visit sometime. You ever been to Comfort?
OTHDog
My grandparents used to live out in the country just a few miles from Comfort. I spent lots of time at Ace's bar (Holiday Inn--not the motel chain) in years past there, playing pool with my grandad and having one or two adult beverages. Beautiful hill country.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #44
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar
Speaking of Virginia City, that is a really cool town! It appears to be an old mining town that has remained unchanged - the buildings are old aged black wood like you see in ghost towns but apparently have going concerns within them. The little town was hopping and I went through without stopping or taking a pic - wish I had but was brain-dead at that point and forgot to.
Here's the home page for that town:
http://www.virginiacity.com/

And here's a site for Nevada City, which is in reality one huge frontier museum and a must see. It's a shame you motored by.
http://goldwest.visitmt.com/communities/nevadacity.htm

I think you have given us a "Grade A" report. Thank you.

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #45
Oatmeal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Great report - really well done. I'm sitting in a cubicle right now, and I have to say i'm envious as h#ll.