User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #61
Spyrochete
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Talking

Great Report. Try to stay cool up there.
Spyrochete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #62
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,331
Lonestar, you mentioned PoPo's restaurant near Welfare. Man, I can remember going there as a very small child with my parents and grandparents. We're talking probably around 50 years ago. Amazing to find a place like that still in business these days after a run like that.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 PM   #63
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timba
LoneStar,

I live just down highway 16 from you! I'll keep an eye out for ya!

Yeah, I hate it when the Harley guys laugh at me doing the same thing!
Hank at Rhine West is a lifesaver!

Great Story!
Dittos on Hank!

When i get back we need to connect - be sure and pm me where you are and I'll swing by - I run to Medina and Bandera frequently just for the ride...
LoneStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #64
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

TNC, That's wild - I've seen the sign for PoPo's for years and finally went by. It was a busy place - didn't get a chance to eat there since I was with a couple of other riders at the time but I'm definitely going back - looked like a great place
Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #65
Stromchrome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar
My gear has functioned well and I have few complaints.

What has worked well has been the spandex exercise shorts I've worn beneath them - they keep you cool and minimize monkey booty very well. I brought 2 pair of spandex shorts - one was for bicycling but I found the extra padding to be a pain and cut the padding out.
It seems like loose armored vented riding pants with spandex shorts would be a good combo.

As to shirts, I bought 2 polypropylene long sleeve T's at REI that wick moisture and keep you cool. I also bought the same style in UnderArmor but it is not as cool as the thinner REI ones. I've been happy with them and the added bonus is they pack about 1/3 the size of a regular cotton T and can be washed out in the sink and will usually be dry by morning.

The Camelbak - tho a little bulky - is worth the effort and expense. I won't travel distances without it now. The additional pockets on it allow valuables to be kept with you when you go inside a restaurant, etc. rather than left in the tank bag.

My Oxtar Infinity boots have been great - for the strength and size they are especially comfortable and I love them. Absolutely the best boots ever.
Thanks for the gear run-down. Will be trying the REI shirts and spandex shorts (under mesh jacket and pants - otherwise it would be UGLY!) to fight this heat. Camelback, also. As to the Oxtar boots, I recently bought the Matrix 2 Gore-Tex model and also love them. They are very comfortable, and are easier to put on than the Aplinestars (Web) they replace, as the zipper is longer and faces inward.

Really enjoying the trip report.
Stromchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #66
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
I readily admit to being a little wierd but I love those fences!

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #67
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Well it looks like my time in the Missoula area will be winding down soon and will start the trek back to Texas
My fuel pump whine has been intermittent but is getting louder so I'm tempted to get it replaced before returning for peace of mind.

I'll post some pics of the explorations yesterday and today a little later - I'm beat

Thanks Stromchrome - I've got a pair of the older non Goretex Matrixes and really like them as well Buddy said he was wearing the UnderArmor setup also and it was working well for him too

Rick - I think those fences are really cool too - this one went on for about a mile or more and I kept trying to get a shot in the buffeting wind and finally got one
Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #68
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

More Missoula and Montana

Monday I went from Missoula up to St. Ignatius passing the National Bison Range. I didn't get a chance to go through it.

The route from there to Thompson Falls was beautiful following the Clarks Fork river. Excellent area. Got a piece of peanut butter pie and coffee that was to die for at a little cafe in Thompson Falls. The waitress told me they had a lot of grizzlies in the area. From there it was on up to Trout Creek where I spent the night.

Clarks Fork River

The next day I continued up to Ross Creek and "The Cedars". The Cedars is an ancient forest of massive cedar trees that you can walk through. It has an almost magical feel and is a beautiful quiet area with brooks, moss and ferns flowing amongst the trees. Shot a few pics and walked deeper into the woods there... suddenly I got a strong sense of danger. It was palpable. I hesitated, then turned around and walked out. There were a couple of freshly torn up logs and I assume there was a bear nearby. One thing I've learned over the years is to follow your senses in the woods...

This area of Montana has some real characters and character. I decided I needed a coke and stopped at a local bar/cafe. The front door to the bar was intentionally blocked, so I went to a side screen door and entered into a crowded, dusty, junk-filled storeroom with no sign of life. On one wall there was a glass cooler with canned drinks, which I opened and grabbed a warm coke. Looking to my right I saw a very stern woman glaring at me through a small doorway... "What are you doing?" she said rather bluntly. I stammered a little about needing a coke and stepped through the little doorway, only to find myself standing behind the bar with the two older lady bartenders. Four crusty locals sat across the bar directly in front of me, somewhat shocked at the sudden appearance of a huge man with a ponytail behind the counter. A long silence ensued as they unblinkingly stared, unsure of what to make of me. In the pregnant silence I said "Well, since I'm here, can I get anybody anything?"

"Free beer" was the response.

"OK, free beer for everybody!", I said jokingly, to which the old bartender lady to my left said "You do and I'll kick your ass." Now I'm 6'4 and 250 lbs, and she was about 5'2 and 95 lbs but I have no doubt she could have done it... I sheepishly paid for my Coke and a glass of ice and left.

At least Montana DOT is honest...

Humiliated by a little old bartender lady but glad to still have my *ss attached, I continued on up through grizzly country to Kootenai Falls. This is an awesome set of roaring rapids off the main road with a suspension foot bridge over the water. I believe this is where they filmed "The River Wild". The wind and cold spray off the roaring river was refreshing in the heat. You could sit there for hours and just watch the massive power of the river.
What an awesome place.

After staggering around the trails and over the bridge in the sweltering heat, I continued on to Libby and then Kalispell. From Kalispell I took 83 south to Missoula.

Libby still has a working drive-in movie

What a great couple of days in some incredible scenery!

More coming soon...

LoneStar screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 10:38 AM
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #69
cdcro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
(starwars)
cdcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #70
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf
I readily admit to being a little wierd but I love those fences!
Those are snow fences. They keep the snow drifts off the highway... a little. At least enough so the plows can get through. You find them in the really windy spots.

Great report - keep it coming. If you get over to Spokane let me know. I've got garage space and an extra bed.

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #71
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 607
Awesome report LoneStar! Thanks for sharing from the road.

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #72
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
riding your report is an adventure itself. thanks!!!
damn, that mg is sexy!
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:57 AM   #73
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 420
Try and stay cool!

Lonestar - Sorry I missed you....that %*!#$>^_+Xx# thing called work got right in the way!
Anyway, thanks for more great photos and accompaning story, the part about the bar and old(er) ladies cracked me up, probably more dangerous than the bears....
Safe journey man, lots of traffic out there, we also lost a biker on Hwy 12 near Lolo Pass the other day, a moose in the road was cause.
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #74
Bembl
n00b forever

Oddometer: 61
One of my dreams fulfilled. A thread like poison for my family life.

One day I will quit my job and go on such a little US tour

Thanks LoneStar
Bembl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #75
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Hey bigsky - sorry we couldn't connect but maybe next time - and when you get to Texas come see me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydrift
Lonestar - Sorry I missed you....that %*!#$>^_+Xx# thing called work got right in the way!
Anyway, thanks for more great photos and accompaning story, the part about the bar and old(er) ladies cracked me up, probably more dangerous than the bears....
Safe journey man, lots of traffic out there, we also lost a biker on Hwy 12 near Lolo Pass the other day, a moose in the road was cause.