Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #76
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bembl
One of my dreams fulfilled. A thread like poison for my family life.

One day I will quit my job and go on such a little US tour

Thanks LoneStar
Hey Bembl - sorry for the adding to the fire but I just had to do it -
LoneStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:08 AM   #77
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
Great report - keep it coming. If you get over to Spokane let me know. I've got garage space and an extra bed.
Thanks John - I really appreciate the invite
Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #78
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,122
I like your report and pictures, Lonestar. Have a great ride!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #79
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Another Day in Montana

One of the best things about this ride has been the people I've met on the trip. I hooked up with Shadyrascal aka "Steve" in Florence for a couple of beers while he was getting ready to watch his son play in a baseball game.

I have to admit, he has the most disgustingly beautiful black Mustang Cobra I've seen. Steve, I hate your guts
We talked about bikes and 4 wheelers and he told me about some serious dunes they ride at St. Anthony's on quads. Sounds like incredible fun.

Steve and the black beauty

I dropped the GS at Big Sky BMW to get a new fuel pump installed before heading back to Texas and while there checked out all the GS's in for service or just parked. 1100's, 1150 GSA's, 1150's and 1200's. Tony in sales told me GS's were the main bike of choice around here and it gave me warm nubbins to see so many in one place

After dropping the bike off, we hit Ft. Missoula and timed it such that the Vietnam traveling memorial - the "Wall" had just opened for exhibit at the Fort. I've seen the one in D.C., and this was a really moving experience to see as well. While resting in the shade from the heat, one of the workers from the came over to chat. His name was John and he was from the Aspen area. John was a Viet Nam vet who had taken a year off to volunteer to travel with the exhibit. He said there are so many requests by cities for the traveling memorial to come through that they are years on the waiting list. They were about to have a ceremony in which the governor of Montana and other dignitaries would be speaking. It was a great experience to see the memorial and talk with John.

From there we headed up to a cabin being built in the mountains to see friends and ended up working on the cabin of course. Installed a little rough cut siding and stained a wall, but mostly enjoyed the incredible views over the Bitterrroot valley. From the gorge below I heard lots of gunfire and steel plates being rung by the bullets. After a bit I heard a 4 wheeler fire up and in a few minutes a Can Am 4 wheeler pulled up to the cabin. This was one cool 4 wheeler - a V Twin 800cc that sounded greeeaaat!

We were invited down to visit and after finishing up at the cabin stopped in to check it out. We met Randy the property owner, and got a tour of the place. Randy was a 3 Gun master shooter and firearms instructor and we talked shop for a long time. His buddy Dave was visiting from out of state and they had been sitting on the porch enjoying a few beers and plinking at targets and steel plates. Dave had been a sniper in Viet Nam... let's just say you shouldn't mess with these guys We had a good time visiting and finally had to leave when it got dark.

I have to say I have met the most interesting people in Montana. Folks are friendly and the common thread that seems to run through is the desire for freedom and independence. Common sense and a desire to live a good life left alone. My kind of folks for sure...

LoneStar screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 10:41 AM
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #80
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,110
Hey Joseph it was great to meet you although we only had a short time together. The beer was sure good though! I'm envious of your GS, it's a beautiful bike. I think Mrs Shady would be more comfortable on the back of that than on my DR, I should get one......

I'll try to attach a picture of one of those little ol' Idaho sand dunes with my son climbing it. You know, maybe we could squeeze a paddle tire on your GS.....
Attached Images

ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #81
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Hey Steve! Man that is a serious dune I have the feeling my Pig with a paddle tire would go through the dune rather than over it. Kinda like a Bavarian gopher

I sure hope we can hook up and ride next time I'm up. Really enjoyed the visit and conversation! By that time Mrs. Shady should have her new 1200 GS

Mine outside Phiilpsburg - aka Granite Ghost Town

Ancient technology

Picked up the Pig this morning in prep for the return trip to Texas. Big Sky BMW put a new fuel pump on the bike and in the process discovered that 2 of the studs that hold the access plate were stripped. Grrrrr. I was out of cell range and they took it upon themselves to try and find a used tank for me as an alternative since they couldn't guarantee the plate would hold a seal. They were able to build up washers enough to catch the last bit of thread on the original tank and get some torque on the nuts. Hopefully it will hold until I get back to Texas and can deal with the tank. They were great guys and I appreciated them spending time trying to find alternative solutions to save me some money. Thanks guys!

LoneStar screwed with this post 01-21-2012 at 10:43 AM
Old 07-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #82
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Joseph, I wish you'd open the hood on that Chrysler. Many of that model had a 331(?) hemi under there. I've noticed something about you from this writeup...you're too damned friendly...LOL! Meeting people on the road is always interesting and almost always positive. Good stuff.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #83
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Hey TNC - first time I've been called too friendly . The trip has been filled with lots of interesting characters and neat people. Haven't met a jerk yet but there's still plenty of time...

I've seen a lot of old cars and bikes - both still on the road and in fields. Too much fun!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #84
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Well, I've ridden over 3000 miles from Texas through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana and in the process seen some of the most beautiful scenery imaginable...

Tomorrow I leave on the return trip and will go through Idaho, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico!

More reports to follow

LoneStar screwed with this post 04-25-2011 at 08:30 AM
Old 07-16-2007, 08:14 PM   #85
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,110
Joseph, you going to end up heading over Lolo?
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #86
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Hey Steve - I'm heading for Lolo Pass in about an hour
Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #87
bigskydrift
dual sport hooligan

Oddometer: 421
More great scenery

Lolo is a good ride, more big cedars, the Lochsa etc. nice scenery but none so good as that on the beemer! Watch for moose!!
bigskydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #88
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Superb ride report!

Your report has jingled a few thoughts and memories:

- I'm in McKinney which is basically far north Dallas, and that stretch you took from I20 to Amarillo is my western north/south part of my SS1000 ride that I've yet to take. From DFW west to near Odessa, then north to Amarillo, east on I40 to OK City, then south to DFW. My route is 1,040 miles.

- I've never done it on a motorcycle, but I've taken that route from Amarillo through Dumas, Clayton, and to Raton, then on to Gunnison to ski at Crested Butte during spring break in college in 1980 and 1981. I always loved that stretch from Clayton to Raton. When heading west there's one part on that road where you see your first hill/volcano on the left at a great distance, and it seems to take forever to finally get to it! And its always magical to look at the cloudline just on the horizon only to gradually realize that you're looking at the snowcapped Rockies! That westbound stretch from Clayton to Raton is one of America's great roads, IMHO.

- That pic of Colorado Springs from a distance brought back a flood of memories! In 1978 I stayed just west of there at Woodland Park with my girlfriend (drove the same route through Raton to get there). Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, and being 18 and staying with your girlfriend in the mountains... It doesn't get better!

Love the pics. And thanks for the nice little gear review. Again, great report!

BTW, will you take Hwy 16 south from I20 en route home? I was on my bike in San Antonio a few weeks ago and went a little out of my way to return up Hwy 16 that I'd previously only taken as far south as Comanche. Darn fine state highway. These days when I go to Austin or San Antonio I avoid I35 like the plague. Its 281 or 16, and its worth the extra couple of hours. Particularly on a motorcycle.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.

mistercindy screwed with this post 07-17-2007 at 02:28 PM
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #89
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,331
LS,

Great report. Glad to see you got to make your trip. That's nice country up there. We nearly bumped into each other. I rode a new Ulysses from Anchorage back to Dallas and spent a couple days in Missoula. Bought some lighter weight riding gear at Big Sky BMW. On the Fourth, I was riding from Yellowstone to Sheridan, Wy via Beartooth Pass. (See my report, Me and the Uly, Anchorage to Dallas if you're interested.) We still need to make it to the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum one of these days. Maybe in the Fall.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #90
LoneStar OP
WhoopDeDoofus

Hey guys - I'm starting a new thread on the return trip since this one's getting long - "Texas to Montana! Part Deux: The Return"

Click here for Part 2:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...46#post4964746

MisterCindy - thanks! Hey, I have traveled 16 from Goldthwaite to Bandera for many years. It was my main route from Dallas to the Hill Country and avoided 35. Great road and an easy drive.

DaveVV - man we were close! I talked to a guy on a Uly in Red Lodge after coming over the Beartooth but it tweren't you I'm coming back through Dallas for a couple of days so maybe we can finally hook up. I haven't had much time to be on the net but will definitely check your report - sounds like you had a heck of a ride