User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 03:24 AM   #1
slapper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
knee guards ..

friggen' heck ... I need to tool up with some knee guards in prep for general adv type South Australian dirt roads and, specifically, for a Cape York trip mid next year.
I want to get something sooner rather than later so I can get some ride time in with them before relying on them not chaffing the crap out of me with 8 days of riding.

I've been trawling the 'net looking for reviews and experiences and all I've managed to do is make myself aware of a lot more options than I was aware of before!

Any recommendations?

oh yeah .. gonna need elbow guards too!
slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:37 AM   #2
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
I have been running a set of answer brand kneegaurds and the seem good,valcro straps are holding up well and are quite comfortable (I do run full length fox socks under k/guards to stop rubbing,have a look at ballards catalogue they have a few styles/brands that are worth a look.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 AM   #3
fifthgear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I use Shift knee guards with valcro straps and knee high motocross sock underneath and skins during winter months works for me
fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #4
Robb10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I've got some Fox Titan knee guards that I've been wearing for the last 18 months and they've saved my kneecaps a few times, one was on the TK ride this year, when a mate I was following close behind in the scrub near Wauchope flicked up a branch about 4 inches in diameter which smashed into my knee.. It hurt but without the knee yards Id probably still be limping.

I've recently decided to update and give these 661 knee guards a go... They're more comfy than the Fox ones and have a hard shell

http://www.merlincycles.com/sixsixon...A7pBoCytjw_wcB
Robb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:52 AM   #5
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,228
knee guards ..

Acerbis x strong . High quality, good cover, somewhere between a standard guard and brace
http://www.mx1australia.com.au/index...rds/kneeguards
Old Today, 03:54 AM   #6
bebeneil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
My acerbis knee guards stink. Maybe I should wash them after 6 years use.
bebeneil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #7
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
I've had several types inc the Fox Titans but have been using Thor guards for a few year now and fund them to be ok, good protection but they do annoy me on a long ride and they are hot in summer. Knee guards are ok to stop a wack on the knee but won't do much for twisting or hyper extension of the knee.

Thor guards: http://www.gearfactor.com.au/catalog...07/8191865.htm

I've just bitten the bullet and bought a pair of Pod MX K700 Knee braces, carbon fibre so they are light, comfortable and give the hyper extension protection etc. Only problem is they are over $700 but if that saves one knee reconstruction it's cheap insurance.

Pod MX: https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products...e-brace---pair

Also, wear those thigh high socks or skins with whatever you buy to stop the straps rubbing and chaffing.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club

kipo screwed with this post Today at 04:18 PM
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:05 AM   #8
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

Oddometer: 1,092
I'm using O'neal Pumpgun knee/shin guards.
Probably in the more budget range.
3 velcro straps, comfortable but only tested the right one on an emu head/neck.
The bottom sits really nice inside my Forma boots.
Old Today, 11:01 AM   #9
blade07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I'll go with Kipo on the knee braces....I have the Pod 300 , same as the 700 only in plastic.

At $700 the carbon K700 are good buying , I paid almost that for the 300 .
blade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #10
stujamur
Havin the craic

I have seen a mates have a slow off in the carbon k700 braces where the impact transferred the forces to between the bottom of the brace and the ankle, resulting in multiple breaks .
I might be opening a whole other can of worms here but unless you have ligament damage i would stick with good guards .
Old Today, 02:28 PM   #11
kipo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade07 View Post
I'll go with Kipo on the knee braces....I have the Pod 300 , same as the 700 only in plastic.

At $700 the carbon K700 are good buying , I paid almost that for the 300 .
I was about to buy the 300's when the 700's came on special at Torpedo 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujamur View Post
I have seen a mates have a slow off in the carbon k700 braces where the impact transferred the forces to between the bottom of the brace and the ankle, resulting in multiple breaks .
I might be opening a whole other can of worms here but unless you have ligament damage i would stick with good guards .
It's a bit like the neck brace debate, some say the impact of the back part can do damage and they also can break collar bones. I guess with all these things you need to pick the lesser of 2 evils.

Full Member - Quorn Schnitzel Club
kipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:14 PM   #12
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
My vote parallels Robb10 ~ the Fox Titan knee/shin guards do a fair job, and are cheap.

I haven't found any discomfort problems.
They are quick & easy to put on, and comfortable to walk around in [the guard slips up under the jeans leg ~ so you can put them on/off, in public too !! ].
This makes them great for touring-type riding.

Doubtless the fancy/expensive/strap-above-the-knee type of guard would do more on the motocross circuit (and suiting looser motocross garments).
They won't do much to protect your knee ligament region, unless the guards are well-designed/bulky/tightly-fitted . . . but the tightness will raise the risk of blood clots in the legs during prolonged use.

OTOH, the Titans (and similar designs) have only two calf-level straps (hook attachment, so not needing adjustment with each fitting) and don't need to be tight ~ so are comfortable for all-day wear.
The guard extends a fair way down the shin, too, which is good value.
Essentially their "reason for existing" is impact protection for the kneecap & upper shin . . . sure, sliding protection also . . . but it is the spreading/softening of impact on the knee that can reduce the probability of bone fracture [shin/kneebone/thigh bone] and reduce the rupturing-type force on the important Anterior Cruciate Ligament inside the knee joint.

If a guard is comfortable and easy to put on, then you'll be much less tempted to "not bother this time, because it's just a short ride I'm doing".

Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 PM   #13
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by stujamur View Post
Stu... no doubt about it, a well constructed knee brace, if fitted well and used in conjunction with a good fitting/good condition, quality MX boot - will transfer the majority of the lateral forces that would otherwise damage the knee, to the lower leg/boot area.

Not knowing the specific's of what boots your mates were wearing (or their condition), but I would venture to say, that if the knee brace transferred that stress to the lower limb, and that resulted in a fracture... then the boots were either sub-par, old and ill fitting/worn out, or they were just extremely unfortunate (if the fall was as you say - a slow "off").

I have seen and heard of a number of femur breaks, that result from the use of knee braces in conjunction with good quality MX boots... but often these have been BIG get offs*... and exactly as you say; it is becuase of the integrity of the kneebrace/boot transferring the forces from the lower limb/knee area, to the upper leg.

But there is also a little rhyme to the reason of this... more than one orthopedic surgeon has told me, that a broken bone is far easier to fix/mend (even if it requires surgical plates/screws) than it is to do a surgical knee reconstruction. While often bones will heal to as (near) good to original strength (obviously age is a factor here too, when talking ADV riders ), but a total knee reconstruction... not so much.

It does all come down to what/where/how/often and hard your ride and what/where/how much you choose to spend on protection/prevention of injury.

Knee GUARDS offer good protection for patella impact and abrasive injury if you fall off.

Knee BRACES will protect your knees from both patella impact, abrasive AND torsional stress injuries, in the case of a twisting fall etc. BUT as stujamur correctly points out, if you are using boots that are either of lesser design quality, or have softened/worn with age... the braces may transfer the energy from the knee area, and result in a break some other place.

*Those accidents that I have seen involving knee braces/femur fractures (big high speed MX and desert race type offs)... were all pretty academic as to if it was a case of the brace causing the damage... Without a knee brace, the riders in question would have (most likely) had a broken femur AND a fucked knee as a result of the spill in any case.

I've used and ridden since 1991 in CTi brace's, and of late the asterix brand knee braces. For me, they are as self evident a choice of apparel as a helmet, boots, gloves and goggles.

... look's like carpente found it..."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:57 PM   #14
stujamur
Havin the craic

All makes sense troy , my mate was wearing alpinestars tech 3 , about a year old. He was on the gas in second ( i was following him ) . Rear got out of shape and he went down with a leg under the bike . Had a few fractures and break. Plates and 3 month recovery .
Like you say if wearing a guard he may have been up for knee reconstruction but he my have also only had to deal with some spraining.

I think your advice on pairing quality gear with well fitting gear is probably key .
Old Today, 07:32 PM   #15
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,149
can of worms lol

Had pods on 2 weeks ago when i got a spiral frac to the the tib.Was running forma dominators for boots.Low speed off foot got caught up .

Ambo's said they have seen a few injuries like this with braces.They still said i am/was better off wearing them.

Couple of years ago torn ligaments while wearing them ....boots forma adventures.Hi speed boot caught up on something trackside,bad habit toes out.

All these injuries on the same side.That side is also weaker and less flexible due to old injury.Bung knee that side but guess what no injuries to my knee in both instances.Have been thinking about seeing Mr Gall for some custom jobbies as my legs are different sizes.

Don't feel safe without them yet have had some of my worst injuries with them on.