Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #31
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Anybody brake a foot? I did this morning during a pre trip equipment check. I might have not seated the hook to the bar completely ... I'm not sure ... I started to lie down and it twisted cracking the hook and knocking off one other foot.

I'm trying to order a replacement foot and a few extra just in case. You can lose a bar or two but one foot loss makes the cot a little unstable.
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #32
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
Anybody brake a foot? I did this morning during a pre trip equipment check. I might have not seated the hook to the bar completely ... I'm not sure ... I started to lie down and it twisted cracking the hook and knocking off one other foot.

I'm trying to order a replacement foot and a few extra just in case. You can lose a bar or two but one foot loss makes the cot a little unstable.
Vary good point about breaking a foot :) it puts another foot out of commitions and at least one pole :( not good. I may have to get one extra foot. I belive that he will replace the foot that broke for free under warnity! but as for an extra, let us know please. Just out of curiosity what do you weigh? And we're sitting directly on one of the feet? Just asking, to help me not do the same.

Marty
V-Rod
Sportster (First Bike)

http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRi...18710698_g3dzr

WWW.BattalionMC.com
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #33
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bnkd
Vary good point about breaking a foot :) it puts another foot out of commitions and at least one pole :( not good. I may have to get one extra foot. I belive that he will replace the foot that broke for free under warnity! but as for an extra, let us know please. Just out of curiosity what do you weigh? And we're sitting directly on one of the feet? Just asking, to help me not do the same.

Marty
Well, they're sending me three replacement feet along with a Pillow Pad I bought. No charge for the feet and they acted quickly getting it shipped. It was nice dealing with them. I think I can get away without an extra pole. I'm up there in weight, 240 lb., so I do use all of the poles setting the cot up, but I think I could lose one pole without consequence.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #34
12bnkd
UP for any Adventure

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
Well, they're sending me three replacement feet along with a Pillow Pad I bought. No charge for the feet and they acted quickly getting it shipped. It was nice dealing with them. I think I can get away without an extra pole. I'm up there in weight, 240 lb., so I do use all of the poles setting the cot up, but I think I could lose one pole without consequence.
VARY NICE,
That customer service and warranties still stand for something. When I purchased my cot I was amazed on the communication that I had and how quickly the cot came. I use all the polls only because I like the firmness that it provides. I tried using the cot one time as instructed for a reduced weight person but did not care for how un-firm it was. Good English I know!!

So I probably can get by without ordering an extra foot but if I'm on a two week trip it would be difficult to give it ordered and get it to me so then again saying that I probably will order an additional one.

Thanks for the update and yes it is always nice to deal with other people that like to be treated the same. I would recommend this operation to anyone.
V-Rod
Sportster (First Bike)

http://ride.smugmug.com/MotorcycleRi...18710698_g3dzr

WWW.BattalionMC.com
12bnkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #35
Harry Swan
One more time

Bruce at LuxuryLite also mentioned that if when in the boonies we could still use the broken foot as an end foot, so even an extra foot is not necessary. He also said mine broke from 'twisting off the bar' ... I'm going to assume I didn't have it fully seated on the bar so when I sat down it twisted. Still carrying an extra foot is not an imposition the way the thing packs up so I'll take mine with me.

One last I found the cot a little too narrow for me but if I throw a Thermarest or other pad on top it's great. Of course that makes it less firm.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #36
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,052
How big are you that the cot is a bit narrow, I'm 6'1 and recently hit 250
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #37
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
How big are you that the cot is a bit narrow, I'm 6'1 and recently hit 250
Edge to edge at the shoulders is 22", so says my confused wife. That for me means my elbows hit the bar when I'm on my back which motivates me to sleep on my side or on my back with arms akimbo. Bottom line for me is I'm still more comfortable on the cot....
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #38
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by klm4755
Enclosed is a review of the "whizbang"lightweight backpacking cot from http://www.luxurylite.com/ The cot costs $189. I used the cot for my 4x day trip from San Diego to Seattle. I’ll mix in a few key shots of that trip. The intent of the cot is:
1. Provide a comfort level not obtained with air matrices (especially for side sleepers). This is the vendor who suppies Aerostitch with their "hi-tec cot". Best to get from the source.
2. Lift yourself off the wet, rocky, dirty, bug ridden ground.
3. No more sliding around within a tent
4. Keeps your tent side defined thru the night
The main drawbacks are:
1. Cost
2. Transport storage
3. Need insulation as your sleeping bags insulation will compress and will make for a cold night.
4. May need additional support for the heavy individual and/or some folks wives. Hehehe
5. May desire more ground contact during sleep.
Nice review. A couple of questions.....
1. It looks like your sleeping pad is down filled. Doesn't that also compress just where you need it most? It seems like a closed-cell foam pad (thermarest, etc.) might be just as warm and thinner.
2. Since your tent setup has a (mesh) floor in it, why do you prefer a cot over a thermarest-type matress? They come in various thicknesses that might address your side sleeper concerns. I always found the side poles on cots annoying when sleeping on them.
3. Somehow I always thought a Stanford alum would be riding a GSA. A KLR? What gives?

Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #39
klm4755 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
I believe the mat is 2.5 inches thick. Even with some air released, for comfort reasons, my distributed weight, while lying, would reduce this thickness to ~1.5 inches. I have never felt cold thru the cot side with the down mat. The down mat is easier to pack than a Zrest and/or ridgerest on the bike.

A cot allows a more cradled type bed, also no worries of ground moisture or pad puncture. The cot+ pad is more comfortable for me, than the pad alone.

Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #40
aphazia
KLR+Duct tape+Dreams!

Oddometer: 1,258
not to bash, but for that price... have you checked out henessey hammocks?

instead of a cot, you're in an asym hammock. it weighs about the same... and then you don't need to pack a tent + cot + bag + mat, just the hammock and a bag/mat. so you save weight in the long run!
aphazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:22 PM   #41
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphazia
not to bash, but for that price... have you checked out henessey hammocks?
Sadly, not everywhere I camp has trees.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #42
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Sadly, not everywhere I camp has trees.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #43
aphazia
KLR+Duct tape+Dreams!

Oddometer: 1,258
Yeah, I forget about treeless places, being a native NY/New Englander. ;)
Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #44
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Used mine for about four nights over the holiday weekend. Slept like a rock. With a partially inflated Therm-a-Rest, I sleep on it as well as I sleep in my bed at home.

When you compare using one of these to get a good night's sleep versus having to get a room for the night (or a couple of rooms over a longer trip), these things pay for themselves quickly.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 07-08-2008 at 12:19 PM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #45
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphazia
Yeah, I forget about treeless places, being a native NY/New Englander. ;)
Welcome to West Texas, where everything that looks like a tree is a pain-inducing thorn fest.

'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote