Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #76
flyingreg
just ridin' along

Oddometer: 242
I purchased a Luxurylite Cot this past summer, using it on a trip up to Idaho. The cot works very well and was as good as advertised. I placed it under the REI tent as was suggested by the maker of the cots. No problem securing tent with pegs. I am very pleased with it. I tried it with and without my Thermarest pad and found I was comfy in both configurations. This was one of those good purchases with no regrets. You can't beat a good nights sleep, priceless.

"Illegitimis Non Carborundum"
2010 KTM 990 Adventure
flyingreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #77
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
I've been using my cot around the house quite a bit over these last few months and really like it. I also just got a neoair trekker and the cot is more comfortable than the pad.

I just realized tonight though that the cot wont fit in my tent. This afternoon I was thinking about how small my tent is so I set it up this evening and the cot won't make it through the door. I can assemble it inside the tent but then can't turn it over without stressing the walls of my tent. (it's a Mountain Hardwear skyledge 2.1)

How many of you are using the cot under the tent? I tried it a little and it seemed really awkward.
Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 02-08-2011 at 02:37 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #78
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
I got a great deal on the LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot from Campsaver. They were having a 20% coupon, so I was able to snag an UltraLite for $175 shipped .....

When I received it i quickly set it up and tried it out.......

very, very nice.

SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #79
Futo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
REI has these for about $170 until 9/3/12
Futo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #80
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futo View Post
Wow, that's a screaming deal. They've got both the original and the mesh cot.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #81
RangerShawn
Philosopher

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futo View Post
I just bought one from REI. It's $166.99 and free shipping.

http://www.rei.com/product/846491/th...ylite-mesh-cot

It says it's 26" wide and everyone in this thread has been saying that theirs is narrower than that. Is this the same thing?

RangerShawn screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 01:47 PM
RangerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #82
tvolk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
confusion on models

There are now different models of the Luxury Lite cot available.

The one that has been bought and used by thousands to motorcyclists is the original (not the mesh).

Nothing wrong with the mesh--but the original is smaller, lighter, and has been the preferred cot--even though it costs more.

Information on the original one:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...d_Accessories2

Tom Volk

Let me know if we can help with any questions on this!

Full disclosure:
I own RPW Motorcycle Accessories
We have sold well over 1000 of the original Ultralite/LuxuryLite cots and only had 2 or 3 returned.
tvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #83
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I'm bringing this thread back from the grave to ask if these Luxurylite cots are still the hotness for sleeping away from home.

Having had serious neck surgery in the past, the biggest contributing factor to an enjoyable day is a solid 6-7 hours of comfortable sleep at night.

Per the ADV crowd I bought an Exped Synmat 9 last fall for camping and was pleased. I definitely slept warm and was comfortable, but I would like to compare it to a cot. I am 6'2", so the 74" length of the Luxurylite has me concerned. Are you taller guys making due?

I'm looking at the newer mesh version. I think the increased width would be welcome to me. Do I need to plan on using this in combination with the Exped, or is that going to be too thick? Is the cot meant to be slept on with just a sleeping bag or is a ccf pad or thinner Thermarest needed? What temperature would you need a pad?

Is a cot going to be $240 better than an Exped 9 on a multi night trip if comfortable sleep is priced at a premium?

Lastly, I've looked everywhere, but does anyone see any on sale right now?
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #84
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
I'm bringing this thread back from the grave to ask if these Luxurylite cots are still the hotness for sleeping away from home.
I tried the luxury lite for 6 months and was underwhelmed. For me, it's no good on its own, and only marginally increases the comfort of an air mattress. For me it was much too narrow, my elbows would invariably end up resting on the support bars and go numb.

I've upgraded the hotness to a camping a hammock. Never have I slept so soundly while in the back country. If you regularly camp in areas where there are trees 12-20' apart, check out this link...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631074

...and if you're interested head to this forum.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php

YMMV..
Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #85
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post

Having had serious neck surgery in the past, the biggest contributing factor to an enjoyable day is a solid 6-7 hours of comfortable sleep at night.

Per the ADV crowd I bought an Exped Synmat 9 last fall for camping and was pleased. I definitely slept warm and was comfortable, but I would like to compare it to a cot. I am 6'2", so the 74" length of the Luxurylite has me concerned. Are you taller guys making due?

I'm looking at the newer mesh version. I think the increased width would be welcome to me. Do I need to plan on using this in combination with the Exped, or is that going to be too thick? Is the cot meant to be slept on with just a sleeping bag or is a ccf pad or thinner Thermarest needed? What temperature would you need a pad?

Is a cot going to be $240 better than an Exped 9 on a multi night trip if comfortable sleep is priced at a premium?

Lastly, I've looked everywhere, but does anyone see any on sale right now?

I'll say it again, I sleep as well on mine as I do in my bed at home.

I use mine in combination with a partially inflated Therm-A-Rest and a Sea-to-Summit travel pillow.

I bought it for a single trip in 2007 and 6 years later, it's still going strong. Well worth the money.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #86
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 112
Boon,
Would you like to sell your cot?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #87
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Boon,
Would you like to sell your cot?
Long gone, hammock camping is like starting over as far as camping goes. A decent hammock, underquilt and tarp will set you back about the same as a high end tent. $200-$300.

What's awesome is with my hammock, I set it up in the back yard and take naps in it. I hung two hooks in my living room and will lay in it to watch TV. I was originally stoked because I thought hammocking would give me more time to read (cause I'd be away from the computer..). Wrong. I'm usually out cold within 10 minutes. When I first started hammocking it took forever to get it dialed in. I'd set it up, lay down, doze off, wake up 30 minutes later tweak something, lay down, doze off, wake up 30 minutes later, tweak something etc. I'll toss my hammock in my tank bag and take it with me for an afternoon ride. Find two trees 12-20 feet apart and I can be napping in 2 minutes or less.

The cot just wasn't for me. I don't doubt for some folks it's perfect. I didn't like setting it up, or wedging it in my tent or putting it under my tent, or breaking it down, or laying on it. It wasn't for lack of trying. I used it for at least 60 nights worth of sleep (slept a bunch on the floor next to my son's bed when we were punting him out of our bed). I tried a regular thermarest, z-rest, thermarest "trekker" on top of it. I tried fully inflated, half inflated, almost deflated. I tried it with all three mattresses stacked on top. I tried it all by itself. One of the issues not using a matress is that the cot affords zero insulation underneath you. So if the temps are below 70 degress even with a sleeping bag (cause you compress the insulation against the cot) you'll get cold. (it's actually the same problem with hammocks) Again, for me I always ended up with my elbows on the support bars which would make my elbows, forarms and hands fall asleep. Woke up once and everything was so numb I couldn't un-zip my sleeping bag.

IMHO one size does not fit all. It may work fine for some folks, but in my opinion, it's not the final word in comfort

Here's a question, do any of you guys ever just get the urge to set up your tent, cot and thermarest in the backyard and take a nap? I get the urge almost daily to do it with my hammock.

anyways, sorry to hijack the thread, I'll post no more about hammocks.

Boon Booni screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 03:32 PM
Old 04-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #88
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
I tried my buddy's. not for me. I use a Agnes bag and pad. Way more comfortable without the cot. Just don't understand the hype so I had to try it. If someone gave me one I would toss it.
mwood7800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #89
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
The trouble with hammocks is you have to have a couple of trees close together.

I've camped in many places where a hammock would have left me on the ground.

No thanks.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #90
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
The trouble with hammocks is you have to have a couple of trees close together.
No doubt about that. Though you can get away with one tree and your bike in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to ride out any weather like that.

That's why I haven't sold my Tent, but I've also been lucky enough to not have to sleep in it for the last year either.