Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #106
Cris
AB+

Oddometer: 132
I really like my LuxuryLite (Therma-Rest) 26" cot, but I weigh 165 pounds and I can't imagine it would be *as* comfortable for bigger fellas...

I am very close to the ground when laying on it. It seems as though it could be made to sit just a little higher from the ground.
Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #107
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
I really like my LuxuryLite (Therma-Rest) 26" cot, but I weigh 165 pounds and I can't imagine it would be *as* comfortable for bigger fellas...

I am very close to the ground when laying on it. It seems as though it could be made to sit just a little higher from the ground.
I know that with my older version, I don't use all of the available "bow frame" sets. I weigh 220 lbs, but do not hit bottom when stretched out (sitting up is different). I remember that mine came with enough to double up on two positions, but that was overkill - I don't even fill all of the positions, leaving shoulders and hips open. If you're 165 lbs and getting that much sag, they must have changed something.
This link: http://www.luxurylite.com/cotparts.html says
"A) 4 BOW COT - You can use only 4 bows when you weigh 175lbs or less. They can be single or twist bows.

B) 5 BOW COT - Next step up is using 5 bows. At the foot end put one bow in the second hole from the end, like a 4 bow cot, but with the standard two bows at the chest end. (Always use the two twist bows in the middle two locations). That will sleep 300lb just fine. So you can lose/break an entire bow and still sleep great. Built-in spare parts!! "

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #108
Cris
AB+

Yah, either they changed something or ??

If I try with the minimum amount of bows, I do touch the ground. Kinda surprised me. And if I lay on my side with all of the bows, I am VERY close to touching, and if the ground is not level, I do touch.

I got my cot last spring. My mesh is white. I see now they use a blue mesh. I wonder if it is a different material aside from the color?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #109
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,906
The cover should be essentially non-stretch, with all the spring in the bows - so I wouldn't blame that.

However, with the various widths they make - could you have the wrong length bows? Do you have to do it just right to bend the bow and snap the foot onto the siderail? If it's easy, that ain't right.

I think my cot is a 24", and I know it has single rods on the bows. Everything I see now is doubles.

I'm looking at that link I posted. They list two different lengths for 24" cots, but only 1 for 26's (but they don't say what it is) Mine should be 12 3/8" - I'll have to check.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #110
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Thermarest has bought Luxurylite. Quality seems to have gone down since

I was at my local outdoor store on the weekend and thought I'd try the wider mesh version (sold my 24" one as it was too narrow)

I laid it on the floor and proceeded to gently sit ( know how as I used to have one) and two of the legs broke off.

I quickly stood it back upright and innocently wandered off

$235 CDN money ....
Yep, wife ordered one from MEC last summer, set it up per exact spec of instructions, she lay down on it to test and "crack" one of the plastic legs broke. This was on a flat surface (hardwood floor) and she is 130 lbs so there is something wrong.

After emailing MEC and MSR they did admit there have been other complaints. They offered to express ship a replacement but I did not want issues on a 3 week trip so took a refund and bought a cheaper Can Tire cot; heavy but worked but not an issue since we weren't on the bike.

This year, will need a different solution.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #111
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,319
I may not have liked my cot very much, but it was pretty sturdy (I'm 210lb). I can seen cracking one of the legs if the pole is not inserted all the way, but other than that... I used mine under the tent, in the tent and on the floor for at least a total of 30 days before deciding it wasn't for me.

There was some fraying on the cover where the legs fit to the longitudinal poles, but nothing that didn't seem normal.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #112
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
I have sleep apnea, and my CPAP machine is too big to carry on the bike, so my quality of sleep is already compromised on a long trip. For my first long trips on the bike I bought a Thermarest Neoair Trekker pad. Expensive, but it is a very serious upgrade from regular air mattresses or the older thermarest pad which I have. Still, that first summer I found myself waking often because of my shoulders or hips hurting after a period of time and forcing me to turn to the other side until the cycle then repeated.
This past summer I added the larger mesh luxurylite, again expensive, and it keeps my hips and shoulders from getting sore. I use the Trekker pad on top like a thin mattress, and it is very comfortable. I weigh 240, and have no issues with touching the ground.
Both the Trekker and the luxurylite pack up small, and I added a heavy plastic bag to keep the poles from working their way out the end of the stuff sack and falling off the bike. I also use some large rubber bands to wrap around the poles, as they keep the thing from rattling about as I ride.
The only things I don't like about the cot are having to stand on it to put the legs on it, as the mesh holds any dirt or grass from my boots.
Overall, an expensive piece of gear for what it is, but it is the most comfortable solution which I have found thus far.

Also, I seem to remember reading that they had a bad run on either the feet or the poles? Maybe the cracked feet were part of this? Sorry, can't remember very well.

ssevy screwed with this post 01-30-2014 at 04:43 PM
ssevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM   #113
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Love mine. Broke down and bought the xtra wide mesh due to my shoulders hanging over the standard size.
Resisted for 3 years, just using my Wiggys bag and a Big Agnes infateable.
Just got tired of waking up with a sore back. Now with the Wiggys bag and cot in the winter and silk bag in the summer I'm set.
Just wish the mesh material was not white, it shows every bit of dirt, or grass stains.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #114
Cris
AB+

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Just wish the mesh material was not white, it shows every bit of dirt, or grass stains.
Agreed. I think the latest iteration is blue.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #115
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,009
I think Helinox has upped the ante on the light weight cots

http://vimeo.com/84684804